LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
wraithful
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:02 pm
I know there was an arguement about this card, as to whether it exerted a companion before wounds were added or after, but I can’t find that thread. Can anyone tell me which it is? according to the rulebook, it seems to say the exertion would happen before adding the wounds, but in not sure. Think
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:36 pm
Saruman, Servant of Sauron wrote:
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may exert a companion.

It would be after, as it is an optional ability. Placing the wounds would be a mandatory ability. (Unless an adjustment has been made to the card not in the image)

As another example, you can’t Intimidate away burdens while wearing The One Ring, The Ruling Ring (or any other) - as the event is an optional ability by nature, and the ring is mandatory.
If mandatory abilities could come first, this would be allowed.

Also note, however, that you don’t need to exert the companion he’s skirmishing.
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
wraithful
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:39 pm
I would agree with that, except the rulebook states that the skirmish is resolved first,which includes any triggered actions,and then add wounds.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:49 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Adding wounds is also a triggered action. And it’s mandatory. Triggered actions are resolved as follows:

1. Mandatory
2. Optional

Servant of Sauron has an optional action.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
wraithful
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:54 pm
The rulebook says "resolve skirmish and assign wounds", which to me says that you must resolve first, and then add wounds. If you can add wounds before other actions, then why say it this way, because then assigning wounds would simply be a part of resolving a skirmish,too.
corvus
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:34 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
Mandatory actions are performed before optional ones in the way the free peoples player wants them to. Assigning the wounds of the skirmish is one of those actions.

Optional actions follow with players taking turns. That has been the ruling from times of old.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions