LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Who is Tom?

Vala  
10%
  [ 2 ]  10%

Powerful Elf  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Something else  
90%
  [ 18 ]  90%

Total Votes : 20
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:40 am
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
My theory is that he is a spirit that has existed for a long time, maybe the embodiment of middle earth itself?

Tolkien appears to have made him an enigma on purpose...
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
donimator
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 am
bibfortuna25 wrote:
Tom is a Maia.

C’mon bib, according to the card he’s an ally...

bibfortuna25 wrote:
Cards only do what they say. No more, no less.
If it’s not in the rulebook or CRD, it’s not a rule.
READ THE CARD!

Laughing

Now Sauron, The Lord of the Rings ... his card says Maia
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting beside you saying, "Man, we screwed up!"
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:16 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I saw a really large discussion somewhere, I think tOO posted it. can’t remember what it concluded...
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
donimator
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:49 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
I saw a really large discussion somewhere, I think tOO posted it. can’t remember what it concluded...

Hey SoP, now I see how you managed 5000+ posts. Great contribution to the site!! Wink Laughing
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting beside you saying, "Man, we screwed up!"
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:52 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
donimator wrote:
sickofpalantirs wrote:

Hey SoP, now I see how you managed 5000+ posts. Great contribution to the site!! Wink Laughing

basically, I think he is just a spirit, like a dryad. thought not female. because he could control trees.
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Celebrimbor
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:42 pm
No, he just commanded them.

I think he’s some Vala or Maia. The Silmarillion says that each (or most) of the Maiar and Valar had a "Female" counterpart. That explicitly matches Tom.

But, the Q is, which of the Valar (or Maiar) is he?
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:07 pm
Celebrimbor wrote:
I think he’s some Vala or Maia. The Silmarillion says that each (or most) of the Maiar and Valar had a "Female" counterpart. That explicitly matches Tom.

But, the Q is, which of the Valar (or Maiar) is he?

Which Maiar had counterparts? I know the Valar did, and I don’t know Silmarillion that well, but as far as I knew, the Maiar didn’t (Sauron’s? The Wizards?)

As for a Valar, if he was in Middle-earth before the Valar, how could he be one? If he is, however, Aule seems likely.

I still say most likely a spirit, most likely of tress/land, although he may have begun taking a Hobbit’s form (or Man’s).
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:28 pm
he is either a spirit or Aule... the question that remains is which.
"DáinIronfoot"
corvus
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:48 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
I can certainly rule out the elf possibility, since he has a beard.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
donimator
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:51 am
The Silmarillion wrote:
In the beginning Eru, the One, who in the Elvish tongue is named Ilúvatar, made the Ainur of his thought; and they made a great Music before him. In this Music the World was begun; for Ilúvatar made visible the song of the Ainur, and they beheld it as a light in the darkness. And many among them became enamoured of its beauty, and of its history which they saw beginning and unfolding as in a vision. Therefore Ilúvatar gave to their vision Being, and set it amid the Void, and the Secret Fire was sent to burn at the heart of the World; and it was called Eä.
Then those of the Ainur who desired it arose and entered into the World at the beginning of Time; and it was their task to achieve it, and by their labours to fulfil the vision which they had seen. Long they laboured in the regions of Eä, which are vast beyond the thought of Elves and Men, until in the time appointed was made Arda, the Kingdom of Earth. Then they put on the raiment of Earth and descended into it, and dwelt therein.

Here we see the Ainur entered Eä and began its formation. Below we see the ’Great’ among these spirits were the Valar - seven Lords, seven Queens + Melkor

The Silmarillion also wrote:

Of the Valar
The Great among these spirits the Elves name the Valar, the Powers of Arda, and Men have often called them gods. The Lords of the Valar are seven; and the Valier, the Queens of the Valar, are seven also. These were their names in the Elvish tongue as it was spoken in Valinor, though they have other names in the speech of the Elves in Middle-earth, and their names among Men are manifold. The names of the Lords in due order are: Manwë, Ulmo, Aulë, Oromë, Mandos, Lórien, and Tulkas; and the names of the Queens are: Varda, Yavanna, Nienna, Estë, Vairë, Vána, and Nessa. Melkor is counted no longer among the Valar, and his name is not spoken upon Earth.

I believe Tom is of the Ainur - one of the spirits that worked in the creation of the world, but is not a Valar. He may be a Maiar, but could simply be one of the ’servants and helpers’

The Silmarillion lastly wrote:
Of the Maiar
With the Valar came other spirits whose being also began before the World, of the same order as the Valar but of less degree. These are the Maiar, the people of the Valar, and their servants and helpers. Their number is not known to the Elves, and few have names in any of the tongues of the Children of Ilúvatar; for though it is otherwise in Aman, in Middle-earth the Maiar have seldom appeared in form visible to Elves and Men.

A Maia or a lesser Ainur seems most likely and would fit with Tom’s limited (geographically) sphere of influence.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion