LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:48 pm
Dain Ironfoot wrote:
2 I Will Take The Ring Elven
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot an Elf.
At any site 3, transfer The One Ring and all burdens to another eligible bearer.
At any other site, exert 2 Elves to heal the Ring-bearer and remove a burden.
“‘But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Húrin, and Túrin, and Beren himself were assembled together your seat should be among them.’”

I think this is FANTASTIC, but should be a Fellowship event. After all, that was how The Fellowship was born by Frodo taking the Ring. It could corrupt you, of course, but that’s life. Could the Ring be transfered to Sam if Frodo is still alive?

Dain Ironfoot wrote:
2Hold To Your Purpose Elven
Condition • Support Area
If Frodo is the Ring-bearer, each companion with the Frodo signet is Ring-bound.
“‘The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom....May the blessings of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.’”

I say to hell with balance - if a card is cool, you should make it, and this one’s definitely cool! No idea how balanced it actually is, but I don’t really care when it comes to cards like this!

GP for two great and rule-breaking cards!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:55 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Dain Ironfoot wrote:
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot an Elf.
At any site 3, transfer The One Ring and all burdens to another eligible bearer.
“‘But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Húrin, and Túrin, and Beren himself were assembled together your seat should be among them.’”

I think this is FANTASTIC, but should be a Fellowship event. After all, that was how The Fellowship was born by Frodo taking the Ring. It could corrupt you, of course, but that’s life.

I understand your point entirely, but I did it this way so you can have a better idea who you might want to transfer it to based on what the Shadow player is setting up. I’m not outright opposed to moving it to fellowship, but I’ll wait and see what other reviewers say first.

Thranduil wrote:
Could the Ring be transfered to Sam if Frodo is still alive?

No, because Frodo would still have the printed Ring-bearer, and Sam (once he had the Ring) would then ALSO have Ring-bearer, and having two Ring-bearers would break the game entirely. However, if Frodo were to be an "optional" Ring-bearer himself, you might be able to do that. Not sure about that scenario. Think But I would still THINK the answer would be no, since most versions of Sam are technically not eligible unless Frodo dies. Sam, Bearer of Great Need is a whole different story, of course. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:42 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Event • Maneuver
To play, spot an Elf.
cool! of course since nothing like this has ever been made, it could cost to much or too little...

Condition • Support Area
If Frodo is the Ring-bearer, each companion with the Frodo signet is Ring-bound.
“‘The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom....May the blessings of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.’”

cool!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:46 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot an Elf.

Hmm... Love the idea, and the site requirement makes sense. Let’s look at the second ability first...
Add 2 and exert 2 Elves to heal the Ring-bearer and remove a burden. This might be a bit weak, although I’m not sure where to go with it. Possibly heal each Ring-bound companion? Although that might need a slightly higher cost...
Now for the key to the card...

First, I agree that this would probably work best as a fellowship event. As an event, I think it looks better without a to play requirement, and since the second ability requires an Elf (as you exert 2 of them), I’d say "At any site 3, spot an Elf to transfer The One Ring..."

Thinking on it, as I’ve done similar, I’d be tempted to say "and half the Ring-bearer’s burdens". Although this might require a redefining of burdens (I think that it might work to have the Ring-bearer’s burdens give -1 resistance to each companion, and each other companion’s burdens give -1 resistance to that companion, as I think it should have some effect).
The only real time this should cause a problem is when you have multiple copies at site 3, as you could transfer back and forth, or even through multiple if you have 3 to 5 ARBs.

As for Frodo/Sam, it would only work if Frodo was an optional RB, and would need a rule clarification for Sam (most likely), saying that if the Ring is transfered to him (when Frodo dies), either he can’t transfer it or he can, but he won’t be able to get it back (unless you have an ARB Frodo that comes into play afterwards, becomes RB and dies - makes for a sad story for Sam, though... Frodo dies twice on his watch).

Thinking on it, I do see your point for Maneuver phase, but I think it might fit better as fellowship. So, maybe only transfer half the burdens and make it fellowship phase?

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area

Honestly, I think it’s balanced enough, and in fact, unless you have a condition that can give the Frodo Signet to companions from the Support Area (or Frodo), I think there’s enough advantages to being unbound that this may end up a drawback often enough.

Of course, my first thought was a Hobbit deck using this, and of course Aragorn/Boromir/Arwen could join Faramir’s Ring-bound Rangers...

I like it, but would have to see how the rest of Frodo signet works out...
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:44 am
Okay, I made some changes to I Will Take The Ring. It now costs 1 instead of 2, and I made the wording changes BW recommended. However, I am keeping it at all burdens being transferred rather than half, because that makes it trickier to pull off with certain ARBs, plus it could get a little complicated if you use it multiple times; I’d have to add a lot of wording to make sure players couldn’t abuse the ability by playing multiple copies of the event and peeling off burdens each time. I DID change it to a fellowship event, as Thran and BW suggested, but I currently have it allowed in the maneuver phase as well. So...how does it look now? Very Happy

While you chew on that, here’s a couple cards that don’t change the way the game is played quite so drastically. Razz They deal with Elven tales, and that’s a theme where we’ll be spending a little time beyond just these cards. Enjoy!

3The Great Council Elven
Condition • Support Area
Tale. To play, spot an Elven Elf. When you play this condition, add an Elven token here for each Free Peoples culture you can spot.
Fellowship: Spot a companion and remove a token from here to play a tale of that companion’s culture from your draw deck.
Fellowship: Remove a token from here to reveal the top card of your draw deck, then heal a companion whose culture matches the revealed card.
“Much was said of events in the world outside, especially in the South, and in the wide lands east of the Mountains.”

The title "The Council of Elrond" was taken, so I had to settle for something else. It is referred to "The Great Council" at least once in the text of The Fellowship of the Ring, so it works. *shrug*

2The Tale of the Ring Elven
Condition • Support Area
Tale. To play, spot an Elven Elf. When you play this condition, add an Elven token here for each burden you can spot.
Each time you play another tale, you may remove 2 tokens from here to remove a burden.
“For it is a long tale, full of deeds great and terrible, and briefly though Elrond spoke, the sun rode up the sky, and the morning was passing ere he ceased.”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:09 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

3The Great Council Elven
Condition • Support Area
Tale. To play, spot an Elven Elf. When you play this condition, add an Elven token here for each Free Peoples culture you can spot.
Fellowship: Spot a companion and remove a token from here to play a tale of that companion’s culture from your draw deck.
Fellowship: Remove a token from here to reveal the top card of your draw deck. Heal up to 2 companions whose culture matches the revealed card.
“Much was said of events in the world outside, especially in the South, and in the wide lands east of the Mountains.”
maybe add conditions here cannot be reinforced. otherwise that would be wicked healing with home and hearth etc.

3The Tale of the Ring Elven
Condition • Support Area
Tale. To play, spot an Elven Elf. When you play this condition, add an Elven token here for each burden you can spot.
Each time you play another tale, you may remove 2 tokens from here to remove a burden.
“For it is a long tale, full of deeds great and terrible, and briefly though Elrond spoke, the sun rode up the sky, and the morning was passing ere he ceased.”

cool!
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
legoles3333
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:15 pm
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
DáinIronfoot wrote:

3The Great Council Elven
Condition • Support Area
Fellowship: Remove a token from here to reveal the top card of your draw deck. Heal up to 2 companions whose culture matches the revealed card.

huh, the second ability is identical to Must be a dream, just thought that interesting

The title "The Council of Elrond" was taken, so I had to settle for something else. It is referred to "The Great Council" at least once in the text of The Fellowship of the Ring, so it works. *shrug*

Condition • Support Area

sweet! a burden removel elf card finally!
Here's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Wink click on the smiley
"DáinIronfoot"
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:50 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, I made some changes to I Will Take The Ring. It now costs 1 instead of 2, and I made the wording changes BW recommended. However, I am keeping it at all burdens being transferred rather than half, because that makes it trickier to pull off with certain ARBs, plus it could get a little complicated if you use it multiple times; I’d have to add a lot of wording to make sure players couldn’t abuse the ability by playing multiple copies of the event and peeling off burdens each time. I DID change it to a fellowship event, as Thran and BW suggested, but I currently have it allowed in the maneuver phase as well. So...how does it look now? Very Happy

All good, but I preferred it at 2.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
3The Great Council Elven
Condition • Support Area

I think it should heal only 1 companion, otherwise it could be seriously powerful. Nice card all round.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area

The title’s a bit too similar to tale of the great ring, and I’d consider taking it down to 2 as you have to play a tale and remove 2 tokens. Good card.

And by the way, I think it’s funny you’ve started calling me ’Thran’!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:00 pm
Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

All good, but I preferred it at 2.

I changed it because, as BW pointed out, the second ability seemed a little expensive when you have to exert 2 Elves AND add 2.

Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
3The Great Council Elven
Condition • Support Area

I think it should heal only 1 companion, otherwise it could be seriously powerful. Nice card all round.

I was going to squeeze in a line about not reinforcing tokens here, as SoP suggested, but I like your suggestion more.

And as Legoles noticed, I stole that second ability from Must Be A Dream. You caught me. Wink

Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area

The title’s a bit too similar to tale of the great ring, and I’d consider taking it down to 2 as you have to play a tale and remove 2 tokens. Good card.

Yeah, not sure what to do about the title. I pulled that straight from the text (as I do with most titles), but I’ll see if I can come up with something a little more unique.

Thranduil wrote:
And by the way, I think it’s funny you’ve started calling me ’Thran’!

I was getting tired of typing the whole thing, is all. Razz For most people, you can appreviate it, like AC or EL or SoP. But there’s not much you can do with Thranduil. So "Thran" works. Very Happy
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards