LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

57%
  [ 4 ]  57%

42%
  [ 3 ]  42%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
The First
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:01 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Cool deck Cool

I’m just not convinced by the whole Bird - Ninja trick. Why not use Compulsive Research? Cost is the same. Ok, it doesn’t do 2 damage but it allows you to draw 3 instead of 1. The discard can be handled most of the time.

Depending on what you hope to find with the card advantage, you might consider Time of Need if you’re after those Legenday creatures of yours.

Plz use Cytoshape. That card is freaking awesome. Defending: change any big, scary monster into a 0/1 bird or 1/1 elf. Or into the smallest of their creatures. Attacking : change Kudzu into KotNT. You block with your insignificant creature? Ok, my Kudzu gets +6/+4, gains trample and can’t be targetted by spell or ability (aka GG).
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:57 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Cytoshape... I liked that! Yeah, you could try to make room for it! However, I’m not quite sure it fits the deck’s strategy... Maybe another kind, but not this one.
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:55 pm
Cytoshape works best in an actual Simic graft deck, where you’ll have cards with printed toughness of zero -- then instead of just making an opposing creature weak for a turn, you’ll actually kill it.

But there’s still a lot of potential for it here I think. Imagine that as you’re attacking, your opponent plays Mortify or something on your Vinelasher Kudzu. Respond with Cytoshape, turning the Kudzu into a Kodama of the North Tree, and you’ve countered the kill spell AND probably ended the game with all that trample damage. Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:08 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Yes, of course, but that would suppose having both a Vinelasher AND a KotNT out, AND having Cytoshape, AND the 3 mana (2 colored) AND your opponent actually targeting it. I think it’s just plain easier to use some sort of counterspell, in this case. But Cytoshape in a Graft deck is GOOD.
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:02 pm
Cytoshape is just sooooooo versatile. If it doesn’t fit your G/U deck, you’re either not playing too many creatures, or you don’t have any imagination.

PS: trick also work with Birds, Elf, Ninja, Meloku and/or his tokens,...
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 pm
Cytoshape is a good card, but you can’t always just play good cards.

For example, in a Mono White Tron deck, you won’t be playing savannah lions. It’s not that it’s a bad card or anything- it just doesn’t fit into the goal of the deck. When you start diluting the goal, you get decks without focus and they can’t achieve their primary objective. In other words, they lose. This deck is trying to put out bombs quickly and it does just that. The hope is to have big creatures handle agro- not anti-agro spells. Then I’d be lost against control!

As for compulsive research over ninja, I prefer having the creature down with a raw draw a card because although I prefer kudzu, sometimes I don’t draw him, and I’ll want something of some size on the board turn two. Plus, drawing a card isn’t much worse than the effect of ompulsive research when there’s no one card for which I am looking. Any bomb will do if I need one, any counter for that, or any mana acceleration. Research sifts through cards more easily, but it won’t help at all against fast decks.

P.S. Sorry Cobra, can’t copy KoTnT- choose target nonlegendary creature to copy, and KoTnT is legendary.
The First
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:19 am
Right, it is non-legendary. Forgot about that. It is no use then to play with Cytoshape. Embarassed
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:49 pm
Doh, right you are.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:42 pm
Yeah... I just couldn’t figure out anything good to use cytoshape for without that. The best I can see is making a late game BoP into a 5/5 flyer to swing, but I’d rather save mana and card space for counterspells.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:30 pm
Here is a scenario for cytoshape:

I attack w/ a 4/4 kudzu, a 3/3 kudzu, a kotnt, and a bop. Before damage goes on stack, I cytoshape bop to become a 4/4 kudzu, my opponent basically got bloodhanded and took 17 damage in total.

Now on late games, I expect kudzu to be much more violent. Thus, your tribe elders and bops can increase potency of the onslaught.

But that’s the best I can think of, still not good enough though for use in a tournament.

By the way, even if kotnt is legendary, don’t forget, your spells can’t even target the guy because of his untargettble ability.

Also, you’re definitely on mark w/ kotnt, Grail. You saw my match up w/ the guy who had that card at regionals? Unstoppable, kotnt is a beast w/ his ability. And, w/ power and trample to beef the threat meter, your opponent will most likely go from 20 to 4 life until he successfully draws and plays WoG without the interference of your counters. And, once the board is all clear, drop keiga or meloku and the game should be over.

I LOVE your win conditions, they seem very stable, versatile, and prove themselves as a threat in their own ways.

Kudzu, I see, is more like a wall than an agro machine. This guy would probably be used as a blocker to thin out damage from kird ape assaults due to his efficiency to grow larger and larger and his lack of "damage prevention is envitable" power compared to the likes of Keiga, Meloku, and kotnt. But w/ so many stuff to play as mana excel, how will you be able to use your counters on time w/ fast zoo creatures which will be dropped every turn w/ counts of 2 per turn?

Pretty cool deck though. Very Happy

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest