LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:06 pm
Overall there isn’t, but in standard there are certainly times when there is a better color than others. Right now, I’d say white is the best color, because all successful anti-agro and all successful agro outside gruul beats plays it. However, that isn’t absolute- it’s quite possible that after the next set is released and K-block is gone that any of the other colors surpasses white.
physcosick
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:19 am
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
Overall there isn’t, but in standard there are certainly times when there is a better color than others. Right now, I’d say white is the best color, because all successful anti-agro and all successful agro outside gruul beats plays it. However, that isn’t absolute- it’s quite possible that after the next set is released and K-block is gone that any of the other colors surpasses white.
It may be true that white is the best color against aggro decks like Gruul. But lately, there has beena drift away from such aggro decks toward more of a controlish meta. What does white do against all the different types of tron? Solar Flare? Even snakes, wrath of god does little to a good snakes player, especially since he can just easily rebuild his creature base via Sosuke’s Summons. What can it do (successfully) against heartbeat? I can see where you could think white is the best because of cards.... because of wrath of god, but that one card is only good against certain aggros....

Gruul and BDW both play out very fast, no player will over extend into a wrath of god (unless they are realy bad). At this point, the white player has taken a significant ammount of damage, and thus, is in danger zone for burn. So what are you saying? You’d have to have wrath of god.... AND ivory mask? very unlikely, in which case, you’d be going so anti aggro, that you lose to every thing else. You might as well play Dimir Housegaurd’s toolbox.dec... which is a terrible deck.... the onlything i think it has going for it is wrath and night of soul’s betrayal (which ends the game against WG and snakes)... but it loses to pretty much everything else.

There is no best color.... just the best decks.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:31 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
You forgot Blazing Archon (in reanimate, he’s just deadly), Ghostway and Ivory Mask, not to mention Dovescape and the good ol’ Circles of Protection.
So yes, white has A LOT of answers nowadays... Like it or not. Myself, I HATE white, I’m much more of a Black player... Love Demons and Vampires Twisted Evil
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:29 am
Kami of ancient Law and Ronom Unicorn beat heartbeat’s face in. Plus, mono-color decks always lose. White/Black ghost husk crushes heartbeat with kami and mortify, or White/Blue can counter. I’m not saying white is going to win mono v. multi-colored; it isn’t that strong, but I’m saying it’s very powerful.

And if you’re playing against solar flare, you could just as easily be using it. And how does flare beat agro? With fetters and wrath of god. And Yosei. All of those are white.

White isn’t the answer to everything, but it is the answer to more than any other color. I never said it’s perfect, but you can do more with white than other color in the format, and the power level of white is generally higher.
physcosick
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:29 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
You forgot Blazing Archon (in reanimate, he’s just deadly), Ghostway and Ivory Mask, not to mention Dovescape and the good ol’ Circles of Protection.
So yes, white has A LOT of answers nowadays... Like it or not. Myself, I HATE white, I’m much more of a Black player... Love Demons and Vampires Twisted Evil
I hate white, too.... but blazing archon is terrible and so is Ghostway. Ivory Mask is ok and dovescape is meh. And circle of protection is quite janky, which is why it isn’t in the baord of any viable deck right now.

Quote:
Kami of ancient Law and Ronom Unicorn beat heartbeat’s face in. Plus, mono-color decks always lose. White/Black ghost husk crushes heartbeat with kami and mortify
It’s called utilizing the stack, kami, mortify, or ronon does not = gg against a good heartbeat player (especially when counters are main decked).

Quote:
White/Blue can counter
white blue can’t counter it.... blue counters it (unless your playing some bad UW counter instead of an actual, viable counter like remand, hinder, rune snag, etc.... than Shame on you )

Quote:
I’m not saying white is going to win mono v. multi-colored; it isn’t that strong, but I’m saying it’s very powerful.
that’s what I’m saying, white can get beat by any multi colored deck, so the ebst color is multi/gold.... in which case there is no ONE best color.

Quote:
the power level of white is generally higher
i disagree

I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING! Who said anything about Type 2? Cobra asked for the best color in general... he never specified.... in that case Blue.... if anyone disagrees with that, you are a terrible magic player, and you need to quit. sorry, i’m just honest
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:43 pm
True, blue is the best in older formats, but I think over 3/4 the articles I’ve seen here are standard, so I was applying the discussion there.

Because gold is obviously the best, you have to look at color combos. W/B is probably the most powerful combos in standard, because of husk, hand in hand, tallowisp, and so much more. But also W/B is good too (and yes, the white can help counter with things like overrule/swift silence), because white can beat all creature decks and blue can beat anti-creature. Basically, here’s how standard breaks down.

Blue- Good Vs. control
Red- Good in agro
Black- Good against agro/ok in agro
Green- Only in heartbeat and gruul beats
White- Good in agro and against agro.

That means White is the only color with two very good matchups, so it should be the best color. Red could be argued because many decks splash red for demonfire, but that’s one card, not the whole color, like isamaru, savannah lions, WoG, fetters, and kami of ancient law, not to mention being a part of lightning helix, mortify, watchwolf, and hierarch.

How about this. What color do you think is better than white?
physcosick
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:01 pm
I told you, I don’t think there are better colors in standard... just better decks.

And as for the format, cobra asked the question not specifying any format, than everyone assumed it was t2.... perhaps it’s cause it’s the only thing they know?

So atleast we can agree that blue is the best color all around (as much as it pisses of R&D).
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:56 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Well, Magic has A LOT of printed cards. So let’s be real, Blue DOES have anwers to everything, since it COUNTERS them before they hit the board, or bounce them back. But, for every single card out there, there’s AT LEAST 3-5 answers, usually spread among all the other colors. So there’s no such thing as "the best color". Physcosick puts it quite well, though: there are no "better" colors, just better decks. And even so, there are A LOT of equivalent decks, there’s no such thing as "the best deck", too.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:52 pm
Blue doesn’t have answers to everything. Here’s proof. Turn one, kird ape. Thanks, I’ll be here all week. Blue has answers to things after it finds a second mana, but not at one. If you argue you bounce it, I’ll replay it and you’re down a card. Better yet, I’ll replay it and another one-drop.

For standard, there aren’t sooo many printed cards, and I wouldn’t argue any color but blue outside standard. But here in Rav and K-blocks, white is king.

Here’s why white is king. Any creature is answered with wrath of god. Any permament outside simic Sky swallower can be beaten by faith’s fetters, and there aren’t enough answers for a white rush outside (you guessed it) wrath of god. That and the part white spell mortify. Even faith’s fetters helps stop it, or the part white lightning helix.

And for the record, I interpret everything as relevant to standard because standard is the only thing I play, outside casual. Blue is the best overall, in any older format I can think of. Anything older than standard.
mojo
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:44 pm
dude white cant handle tron or wildfire or the signets..there’s no artifact hate in white...so white is pretty useless against a control deck o lets say ’vore or simic tron. white is useless if u dont have the mana to back it up. as well as against token decks or decks that make you discard. in standard and in older formats blue is definately really powerful, but it still has weaknesses such as the leylines( the green, black and sometimes the red one). yes it does have bounce but u can jsut recast it if u need it or make them discard their hand with sorceries thats powered by bosesie( forget the spelling). so everything has its flaws and ways to beat the colors. so thats why alot of people are going two or even three colors to compansate for the flaws of others in stanard now...witht the help of tron or signets.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion