LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:18 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Well, here’s what I have so far, that I can use on a Gruul deck:
Gruul Signet x4
Scab-Clan Mauler x4
Llanowar Elves x4
Gruul Turf x4
Skarrg, the Rage Pits x4
Streetbreaker Wurm x4
Volcanic Hammer x4
Blaze x4
Shock x4
Elsivh Piper x4
Giant Growth x4
Birds of Paradise x4
Wurmweaver Coil x2
Silhana Ledgewalker x4
Moldervine Cloak x4
Dryad Sophisticate x4
Carven Caryatid x4
Blanchwood Armor x4
Gatherer of Graces x4
Yavimaya Enchantress x4
Leyline of Lightning x2
Stream of Life x2
Naturalize x4
Reclaim x4
Savage Twister x4
Scorched Rusalka x4
Pyromatics x4
Fencer’s Magemark x4
Beastmaster’s Magemark x4
Sparkmage Apprentice x4
Magnivore x3
Wildfire x4
Stone Rain x4
Utopia Sprawl x4
Seal of Fire x4
Lava Spike x4

Well, this is what I can remember so far, or at least the USEFUL things I can remember so far. Not a lot or rares/useful cards, huh? I’ll post again on Tuesday, when I have the "new" cards, or maybe before, if I remember anything that might be good.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 pm
Get me a list of big bombs you have, and I can try to make you a G/X or G/X/X deck... I think that would be your best bet actually. You’d need the kird apes and chars for Gruul.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:47 pm
Sorry, forgot the Kird Apes. Got them. Also got Emperor Crocodile, but that’s just plain bad. Have Verduran Enchantress (or something like this), but ALSO very bad. And that’s about the only big bombs I have for Gruul, so far. Got 2 Nightmares, 1 Yukora and 3 Sengir Vampires. Also a Witch-Maw Nephilim. And 3 Evacuations... Not that many bombs, huh? Told you guys, this is gonna be a REAL challenge... Think we’d better wait till Tuesday. Only that I’ll only post the cards Tuesday night IN BRAZIL, so you might only get to take a look at the list till Wednesday, so I’ll have about, what, 1 day to playtest the deck? Talk about challenging...
I don't like YOU.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:27 pm
LOL...this’ll be fun.

Hey Grail, remeber when I we built my R/W deck like 20 min before regionals? That was pretty hilarious.

If we all put some commitment, it shouldn’t be too hard. We’ll just need to disect the situation:

1st--I’m pretty sure you mentioned somewhere in one of the forums that where you live, you’re behind a couple of sets. Right? If that’s true, then does this mean requirements in the tournaments are changed, or are they in check with every other regionals? This is a question to consider cause if your region is behind a couple of sets, I’m pretty sure you will not be facing some challenge that other regional games are playing (ex: Dovescape decks). Another scenario could be that the region is behind but tourney is not, thus, it does raise the possibility of facing dissension-type decks. Or, you could give yourself a slight advantage by being the only one with dissension.

2nd--What would your opponents be playing? Consider this and so you could consider your deck? Will your aggro be dominant against Regionals is you know there is alot of control? Can you compete with Ghost Husk? By knowing what the majority will play, you can formulate a strategy to win. Not to mention, what you should have in sideboard.

3rd--Startegy. How will you go by this? Will you play using sideboard that acts like a "switchboard" (I love the name, thanks Very Happy )? Or what?

Now again, come up with a deck idea and do not consider about your budget. Post it here and we’ll do some trimming to preserve the key components while keeping budget in check, and also edit it so you’ll have something nice to play at regionals. Also, you can post some wants and your address, so anyone of us can lend or trade you some cards to build with.

The only challenge I see is getting everyone in the forums to agree with changes or how to construct this monstrosity. Most of us have opinions, experience, or bias that lean towards places different from others here. There will be some compromises.

P.S., I voted to neutralize your article score to an average.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:47 am
Well, just remembered I’ve got 2 Savannah Lions from God knows which edition here. About the meta in my region:
1- Dissension came out late ’cause of a problem with the shipping by the company that translates the cards into portuguese, but it’s already out now, and standard is made of the same editions as it is in the US.
2- Asked around the owner of the store where the tournament will be held, since he’s a friend of mine, and he told me this: "gee, it’s hard to say WHAT people are building, so far I’ve seen decks of about all guilds, except maybe for really powerful Dimir decks". Also, by the time he told me this, Dissenson wasn’t out yet, and I believe that I won’t quite see a lot of dabgerous Simic decks.
3- Although Dissension hasn’t been around for too much time (people are still pre-ordering it, ’cause of that shipping problem), there will be less people able to assemble a dangerous Rakdos/Simic deck.
4- Even though this is all true, A LOT of players here share cards, sometimes in 3 or 4, and they tend to enter only 1-2 decks in the tournament, unless they want to take a long shot. So, they spend HUGE amounts of money (so they’ll have no problem having Disension, or anything else), and there is ALWAYS at least ONE of them in the store, so they can trade (more like cheat on the youngsters, which is why I hate Magic players here so much...) whatever they want/need (actually, this is one more thing that motivates me A LOT to play, to at least try and knock some of them out of the T4).
5- Since I’ll get my cards on tuesday, I won’t have a list of wants ’till wednesday, and the tournament will be on saturday. Don’t think I’ll be able to get cards on time. But thanks anyway, maybe another tournament this can be helpful, and I also volunteer to do the same, should anyone need a specific card (if by any chance I have it, of course).
Also, been looking at my cards, and found out I have, like:
Gelectrode
Wee Dragonauts
Can get my hands on Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Electrolyse
Shock
Volcanic Hammer
Mana Leak
Izzet Signet
1 Steam Vents
Some other counters (but not Spell Snare, bummer)
So, after I crack open the Guildpact boxes and see what I get, been thinking about, as a last resort (I HATE blue), playing an Izzet deck.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:38 pm
I actually think emporer crocodile might be playable. After all, if they Wog, all your creatures are dying anyway, and in a creature heavy deck, they shouldn’t be able to kill them all.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:37 pm
I worry about it’s vulnerability to Pyroclasm and the liking (since in a creature-full deck A LOT of them will be quite small)... And I’m also thinking, should I post at least the uncommons I’ve got? Or it doesn’t matter that much, since I may be able to get what I need in this area without much trouble? I’m more worried about the rares, those won’t be easy to get, the store here’s not so big, and most of the good rares are sold out for now...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:20 pm
I thought about that but shouldn’t mauler and cloak be safety nets? I don’t know exactly the deck or the meta, so maybe not.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:27 pm
Yep, you’re quite right. I wrote that thinking about something like your Elfball deck, got a lot on my mind right now, not thinking straight, I guess... Very Happy
The thing is: that annoying thing doesn’t even trample! How bad can it be? Rumbling Slums would be SO cool to get...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:40 pm
Yeah, 4 slums could help a lot. Assuming you’re not getting them, though, crocs are the next best thing.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest