LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:55 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
"The next best thing" may be asking too much off this guy, here. But yes, he CAN be a pain to opponents sometimes. We’ll see what I’ll get, and then figure out wether if he’s playable of not...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:27 pm
well, he IS the same thing, only without one extra damage or the crazy mana cost issues.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:01 am
I took a look at your cards again. Hmm, you could go R/U vore w/ something like:

Creatures

4 Meloku, the clouuded mirror
4 Magnivore

Red Sorceries

4 Wildfire
4 stone rain
4 pyroclasm
4 shattering spree

Blue Sorceries

4 eye of nowhere
4 sleight of hand

Blue instants

4 boomerang

Artifacts

2 izzet signet

Lands

4 Steam Vents
4 Shivan Reef
7 Mountains
9 Islands

Hope this works. Up to 20 rares for this, I’m pretty sure you’ll manage to get them somehow. You’ve got the vores and wildfires already. Edit to your needs. This is only a basic idea. I didn’t much thought in it.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:26 am
Ilvaldi wrote:
I didn’t much thought in it.

Hm. based on the grammar, I wouldn’t have guessed Wink

Anyways, I think that sounds like a fine idea, too. Might want to cut the boomerang count to two, though, and add some seismic spikes so you get more sorceries for Mr. Vore.

I must say I’m not sold on shattering spree, either... perhaps compulsive research, which seems to be conspicuously missing, could be a nice substitute, or tidings.

Good luck!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:05 am
The problem I see is that I won’t be able to stall aggro decks with some LD cards and no way to accelerate, dropping then faster. Pyroclasm won’t dome any good against Jitted Isamarus and Savannah Lions, as well as Scab-Clan Maulers and Kird Apes. Not to mention Watchwolves... I COULD go G/R vore, which would make the deck faster, but then I’d lose the bouncing effects from U... However, since I WON’T easily get Duals in such short notice around here, I think G is a more guaranteed way to play two colors.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:24 pm
I think you don’t realize the power of vore on the go. Turn two, they have one land, you can just bounce it, they replay their turn two. You rain it turn three, they play a new one turn three. They can’t get two mana until turn four. In the meantime, assuming a sleight of hand turn one, you’ve got a 3/3 that already swung the first time they have access to two mana.

I would note, however, that exhaustion, the best anti-agro card vore has, was missing from the build. But true, vore makes it’s living from control, not agro.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:11 pm
I’m kind of liking the idea of going Vore... I’ll just drop the land count a bit (I know, you all hate me for this), raise the number of signets (since, as I said, I won’t come by a lot of duals, and Wildfire will hurt ME a lot, too), add Seismic Spike, at least (MAYBE some other LD, although I don’t quite think any other one’s worth it), SB Shattering Spree and use Mana Leak, maybe some other counter, too. Also, I don’t think I’ll be able to get a single Meloku on time, say 4... Maybe some card-drawing could be nice, or some Volcanic Hammers, they being sorceries and all. Thinking about dropping the Pyroclasm count a bit, maybe to 3, adding 4 Volcanic Hammers, so I have another winning condition besides Magnivore (not really, yeah, but they’ll be great against Kird Apes...), at least to complement them. After all, I DO have Wildfire to kill creatures, ONE less Pyroclasm wouldn’t be THAT hurtful, I mean, I CAN bounce a creature if I REALLY need to, right? I will ALSO be able to counter some...
See, I’m thinking about something like this:

Creatures

3 Magnivore (haven’t got 4, although I’m pretty sure I had, and won’t be able to get another one, no one’s trading them...)

Red Sorceries

4 Wildfire
4 Stone Rain
3 Pyroclasm
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Seismic Spike

Blue Sorceries

4 Eye of Nowhere
4 Sleight of Hand (I don’t have any one-drops, and this is a nice one, also being a sorcery)

Blue instants

4 Boomerang
4 Mana Leak

Artifacts

4 Izzet Signet

Lands

1 Steam Vents (assuming I don’t stumble on another one, and Shivan Reef I will NOT be able to get...)
9 Mountains
10 Islands

Sideboard

1 Pyroclasm
4 Shock
4 Shattering Spree
4 Compulsive Research (or maybe Vision Skeins or Telling Time, due to my low mana count) OR 4 Exhaustion
2 Hunted Dragon (or Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, don’t know, can’t think of any other big bombs I might get from just 1 Ravnica and 2 Guildpact sealed boxes...)

Oh, btw, I know it’s got 62 cards, so far. I’m wondering what (and how) to cut from here. Thinking about a Signet and a Sleight of Hand, maybe, or even 2 signets, although it would leave me with short mana reserves... However, I don’t quite think I may have to pull out 4 Wildfires, NEVER. Also, I wonder if I should pack Evacuation, maybe as SB, but not really sure I’d find any use for it...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:45 pm
Erm... the point of having 23 land in a vore deck is because wildfire kills lands, and you’ll need to topdeck at least one, even if just to trigger signets.

Every single deck in the T8 at the last PT played 22 land minimum, averaging I think 22.5 all combined. I see no reason not to play at least 22!

Might want to remove some ’rangs because they aren’t sorceries, maybe a mana leak or two (or all) as well- they shouldn’t have the mana to play spells to begin with and if you can tap out aggressively during your turn that’s better than saving mana.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:58 pm
Hum... Think I’ll keep Mana Leaks, just in case, but you’re quite right about Boomerangs. After all, I already have another bouncer, and if I can’t bounce by turn two, I can just let them tap out to play something and counter it... Could also drop the signets back to 2. This, allied with dropping Boomerangs, would allow me to add 4 more mana, althoug I’m not sure 24 isn’t a high number. Maybe 22 and 2 Boomerangs... Should I SB the other ’rangs? Over what? Also, been thinking about adding some Leyline of Singularity, in case I can get them... Wonder if it would work...
I don't like YOU.
KillerKiku
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:17 pm
Hello,

I find your deck funny! Laughing

I hope it is much more fun to play than I think it is.

Magnivore’s cult! But stay away from 4 Melokus, maximum of two for legendary creatures will do just fine.

Maybe some index will be good to help you find the things you want.

Anyways, good luck Cool

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest