LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Hum. if you need blue leylines and it’s cheap and relatively quick to ship to Brazil, I can lend you my three copies, and a Vore if you need it.

Anyways... here’s what I think is what I’d build for vore.

4 Magnivore
2 Genju of Spires

4 Wildfire
4 Stone Rain
4 Pyroclasm
4 Volcanic Hammer

4 Eye of Nowhere
4 Sleight of Hand
3 Spell Snare
4 Compulsive Research

23 Land (should be a ease mana base to make, remember tendo’s if you have any)

Odd cards: spell snare- I know it’s instant, but the point of fovre is it’s infinately better going first. This way, when you go second, you have a chance of maintaining tempo.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:47 pm
Max of four legendaries if you expect them to live, that is. I’d fully expect a putrefy/mortify/char on the first meloku, so having four is nice. Much like jitte- you usually play four anyway because they’ll kill one.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:45 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I’m not sure I need all this speed, so Compulsive Research may be a bit too much. Also, I miss Mana Leak dearly, it’s almost good old Counterspell, with all this stalling. About tempo, well, I DO have Volcanic Hammer/Pyroclasm to kill a 2-drop or two if needed, and using signets, a turn four Seismic Spike can come paired with Stone Rain, giving me tempo back. I do like the Genju better than Boomerang, if I’m meant to use only 2, though... Got me thinking... Don’t quite think I’ll need a fourth Vore, since I don’t intend to play him less than 5/5 (don’t know if they can’t find some tricky, unexpected way to Char him qith few lands...), and this means SOME stalling on the game. I think 2 Genjus CAN make up for the lack of Vore. Spell Snare is something to consider SBing, maybe, but I think Exhaustion may be better, and for a one-drop, I’d rather have Shock (yeah, I know about Watchwolf, this is where Genju or Volcanic Hammer come in), it being more versatile.
I think, from the previous construction I posted, I’ll take out Boomerang, moving them to SB, and a Signet. I’ll MD another Pyroclasm and 2 Genjus, raising the land count to 22. Also, I decided no to SB any "bombs", and that leaves a 3-card gap. Since I’ll be LDing a lot, maybe I can reduce Shattering Spree to the count of 3 (I can shock a jitted Isamaru before he strikes me), so I’d have a 4-card gap. Now, I could either use 1 signet, 2 genjus and keep shattering spree count at 4, or I could do the latter, and maybe SB something like 4 Gigadrowse, or some combination of both. What do you guys think?
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:35 pm
yeah... the 4 vores was mainly to make sure you get one.

Mana leak... it’s a good card, but it’s just so much more useful to bounce land on turn two, and by the time you get further along in the game, you might as well just use hinder.

Spell snare is good to have first game because if you don’t go first, vore has problems, which are hopefully remedied with snare. I would advise you to board these out after you know you’ll be playing first, but vore typically wins on a hand when it’s first and loses when it isn’t. I’m pretty sure with those few extra cards out, you’ll still win going first, but it should help those other games, when you dont.

I prefer hammer to shock because every sorcery helps, but I can see why you like shock. I’m just looking more at the big picture- while shock may be better than hammer in your eyes, if you take out too many sorceries, vore becomes worse and worse.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:05 pm
Actually, so do I. I prefer Hammers over Shock, specially nowadays with Kird Apes and Watchwolves. I meant I prefer shock over Spell Snare, both being a one-drop, since even if I cannot counter an Umezawa’s Jitte going second, I can just kill the attacking creature before it gets to damage me, preventing the Jitte to get filled with counters. However, I AM thinking HARD on wether to go with Snare or Shock, considering SOME way to go with both.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:35 pm
well... um. I would say snare because there are things they can do turn two, like play scab-clan mauler, watchwolf, or burn, that you cannot kill with shock.

I’d rather just counter the jitte to begin with.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:02 pm
Yep, that’s what I thought alright. So, you’d say a SB consisting of 4 Shocks, 4 Spell Snare (it can be exchanged with Mana Leak, for now it’s SB just for the sake of "closing" the deck) and 3-4 Shattering Spree. Now, either I use 4 Boomerangs, depending ENTIRELY on the vores, or I SB another counter (maybe remand, gives me card advantage), or I can SB 4 Shattering Sprees and 3 bombs, in case Magnivore’s not enough. What should I do about this? ideas are welcome, I’m kinda lost... At least the Main Deck is finished (although Snares over Leaks may be thoughtable), and I think it’s a nice kinda-rogue deck, don’t quite think a lot of people will be playing it... More aggro/control (based on wrath or A LOT of counters rather than LD), maybe some Heartbeats/Urzatrons. Who knows, I might surprise a few people...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:00 am
Snares over leaks main for sure. The whole point of snares is to let you still win game one even if you lose the coin flip.

I would call ganju of spires a win condition, personally. It’s six attacks and they lose, and without land, I’ll doubt they can removal him.

As I said before, I have a Vore I can lend you, but you better tell me fast if you need it. I think spires should cover you, though.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:18 pm
Thanks, Grail, found my other Vore! Very Happy But thanks anyway. Well, aside from the whole Leak-Snare problem, what should I SB then? Aside from the counter that’s not MDed, of course. And about the Genju, you’re quite right. Since they’re not in the original deck design, I kinda forgot about them... Embarassed
Stil think I COULD SB some more Genjus, though, or something that flies...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:05 pm
if you’re planning on sideboarding another bomb, remember that evasion shouldn’t be of much importance in this case. If you play a bomb, the hope is you do so after their board is clear (especially when they are playing black). Hopefully, they’ll have no lands or one land and a vore can just keep swinging away.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest