LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Cobra
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:16 am
Rotwurms are cool... Apart from the fact that they’re decently powered creatures with the possibility of forcing that last little bit of life loss, I’ve become a big fan of cheap "sacrifice" abilities. If your opponent has Faith’s Fetters, for example, compare...

1) Creature is out of commission and your opponent gains 4 life, or
2) Creature goes to graveyard (to be exhumed later!) and you opponent loses 1 life.

(Nice pull!)
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:28 am
that and rotwurm totally stops jitte, fetters, and other destruction. Just sacrifice the targetted creature in response and they get no combat damage, no 4 life from fetters etc, and they lose on instead.

If I ever can grab 2+ copies of golgari rotwurm, I play golgari in limited, usually splashed for another color, but I will find a way to play them.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:48 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
You see, I was su "upset" with it’s special ability that I didn’t even looked at the numbers, assuming it was a 3/3!!! Laughing
Also, I think Conor sure makes a valid point, a lot of people will be playing White Control, might as well prepare for that! Think I’ll splash in Elvish Pipers. Don’t quite think I’ll be able to use his ability, but he becomes a MAGNET for Char, Helix, Putrefy, Mortify, well, you name it! This way, I have a better chance of having a Sengir hit play and stay alive to swing the next turn, maybe with Oni Possession! And, if the Elves DO stay alive, well, they HAVE a quite nice ability!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:42 pm
Might there be a cheaper thing than piper that you could use to draw fire? I would recommend vinelasher kudzu, personally.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:44 pm
Well, cards are in and I’m totally screwed. It became shopping frenzy at the local store last friday, so EVERYONE bought cards to copy internet decks (don’t know, just think people are not that smart, at least some of them, they’d rather win by money-spending...), which INCLUDES vore... Not even the commons were nowhere to be found...
I’m working at an Izzet deck and an Orhov deck, a kind of rogue deck. My friend got fried, too, playing Golgari with only 3 Putrefy and 2 Last Gasp... Don’t quite know how to make the decks stronger, I’ll post the decklists here tomorrow, so dig in, everyone!!! Regionals are on saturday!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:31 am
you didn’t expect that to happen? Lots of people are unoriginal... why did you think there’s only like a dozen of us in the MTG section on this site? Most peoeple would rather netdeck.

Hope the lists are up soon, I’ll check em out. Put any other decent cards of the same color under the decks, please, so I can know what to/not to cut.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:36 pm
Well, decks are in. Since I’m at work and only brought the decks, the cardlists will be updated tonight, only, so I don’t quite think I’ll have enough time to assemble anything depending on it. Here’s the deal: assume I CAN get uncommons and commons (except for Vore cards, Ghost Husk cards, Pyroclasm, Spell Snare, Golgari Germination, Lightning Helix and Putrefy, already tried all of those out), and don’t even bother assuming I might get a rare: I won’t.
Here’s what they look like so far (although the Golgari IS going to change, I didn’t like it one bit):

GOLGARI DECK:

22 Land

8 Swamp
10 Forest
3 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Svogthos, the Restless Tomb

3 Artifact

3 Golgari Signet

7 Instant

4 Last Gasp
3 Putrefy

4 Sorcery

2 Brainspoil
2 Vigor Mortis

4 Enchantment

4 Unholy Strength

19 Creatures

4 Elves of Deep Shadow
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
2 Dimir House Guard
1 Hunted Troll
3 Sengir Vampire
1 Golgari Grave Troll

Sideboard

2 Darkblast
1 Savra, Queen of the Golgari
4 Golgari Rotwurm
4 Dryad Sophisticate
1 Enfeeblement
2 Disembowel
1 Necroplasm

I have Thoughtpicker Witch and both the black and green Rusalkas, wich may be used to alter the deck’s theme a bit. But, as I said above, no Germination...
The following ones are both mine ideias, so I can either go with one of them or the other, but my friend is playing Golgari no matter what.
I made an Izzet deck, but’s not quite THAT fast, and it’s rather vulnerable, so I’m not quite sure what to do about it.

IZZET DECK

21 Land

1 Steam Vents
3 Izzet Boilerworks
9 Island
8 Mountain

14 Creatures

4 Wee Dragonauts
3 Gelectrode (only got 3, and can’t get another one)
4 Drift of Phantasms
3 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

4 Artifact

4 Izzet Signet

8 Sorcery

4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Compulsive Research

13 Instant

4 Shock
4 Mana Leak
4 Electrolyze
1 Char (what can I do? Only have one...)

Sideboard

2 Pyroclasm
3 Shattering Spree
4 Muddle the Mixture
3 Gigadrowse
1 Mnemonic Nexus
2 Remand (only have 2, and no way to get more)

Now, this SB is still messed up, think I’ll take out Gigadrowse, although I don’t know what I could add...
And this one here’s my Orzhov deck, although I think it’s missing Sengir Vampires, or something in that range of cost, as you’ll see:

ORZHOV DECK:

22 Land

9 Plains
9 Swamp
2 Orzhov Basilica
2 Godless Shrine

3 Artifact

3 Orzhov Signet

8 Enchantment

4 Pillory of the Sleepless
4 Faith’s Fetters

8 Instant

4 Mortify
4 Last Gasp

19 Creatures

4 Souls of the Faultless
4 Blind Hunter
3 Savannah Lions
1 Dark Confidant (although I’m not sure ONE Bob is a great help, might drop him for another Savannah Lions)
2 Orzhov Pontiff
2 Ghost Council of Orzhova
3 Angel of Despair

Sideboard

1 Underworld Dreams
4 Mourning Thrull
4 Kami of False Hope
4 Castigate
1 Wrath of God
1 Culling Sun (better than nothing, since I don’t have more WoGs...)

Now, I’ve also got 2 Holy Day, and I’m thinking about 2 Dimir House Guard, since they can tutor for Wrath and Ghost Dad, but I’m not sure this deck can stop aggro. Although, the Defenders DO save some life, so MAYBE this deck MIGHT work. But it’s rather vulnerable to Cranial Extraction, creature removal and Counter-sprees... But it DOES play better than the Izzet, so far.

Also, been thinking about something like this:

GRUUL DECK:

22 Land

11 Forest
10 Mountain
1 Stomping Ground

9 Creatures

4 Llanowar Elves
3 Magnivore
2 Giant Solifuge

23 Sorcery

4 Stone Rain
4 Wreak Havoc
4 Seismic Spike
4 Creeping Mold
3 Wildfire
2 Pyroclasm
2 Savage Twister

5 Enchantment

4 Utopia Sprawl (Sorry, no Birds ’round here that I can get... All my friends are using theirs...)
1 Genju of the Spires

Sideboard

1 Steam Vents
2 Simic Signet
2 Izzet Signet
3 Mana Leak
1 Genju of the Spires
2 Naturalize
2 Savage Twister
2 Carven Caryatid

Carven Caryatid AND Naturalize MAY go for 2 Copies of Leyline of Lifeforce, but I’m not quite so sure, since I’m using a blue Switchboard. I rather miss a one-card gap to fit in another copy of Wildfire...
Also, been thinking about the possibilities of using Signets and/or bouncelands, and MAYBE some way of throwing in some Demolish (although Creepig Mold AND Wreak Havoc do the very same thing, being more versatile at it) AND/OR Elves of Deep Shadow + Rolling Spoil, but not quite sure. So, what do you guys think? Does any of my three ideas stand a slight chance?
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:34 pm
My advice is don’t go. I think you’ve waited too long and gotten not enough to win.

If all the ghost husk cards are gone, that means people will be playing it. Same with vore... unless you can beat half the tier one decks out there, you shouldn’t be going, and I don’t see that happening. Sorry.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:42 pm
Well, not very good piece of advice, huh? Hum... Think I’ll go anyway, I mean, I just got back to playing, it’s not like I have a "reputation" or something like that, so whatever comes is nice enough. Also, T16 get prizes, so I don’t see why not attempt at least 16th place... Also, as I said, only one store around, so cards being gone means 2, 3, 4 tops Ghost Husks (perfectly assembled, I mean), although I’d bet on 3. Throw in 3 vores, and 3 aggros, and you’ve got the first 9 places. That assuming that people who netdecked them CAN play them well, and I’ve enough experience in TCGs to tell you this: most netdeckers ain’t that smart. If you manage to put them on a tight spot, with tough choices to make, they crumble. I don’t think my LD Gruul project is THAT bad... Can’t hope for my friend, though, he’s totally toast. But what can I do? Told him to play Rakdos, being easier of a deck (he had exactly the pieces to make 4 rats, 4 Drekavacs, etc...), but he never listens...
Well, even if do get smashed, it may be a lot of fun if I can manage to pull some of the netdeckers off the top, and that’s what TCG is all about, right? C’mon, Grail, really, take a good look at the Gruul and tell me it won’t work at all. You’ll see it works... Not sure about the switchboard, though, and could really use some help on that. Missing place for 1 Wildfire, 4 Volcanic Hammers and 2 Leyline of Lifeforce, and I only see that happening if I cut out the blue... What shall I do about this?
Or you’re not up for the challenge? Everyone else, too, EVERYONE’S ideas WILL be welcome! Homage
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:10 pm
SWE-E-ET!!!! Got 2 more Pyroclasms, and ALL the other cards in the deck (the Gruul one, I mean).
Now, with 2 more clasms, which is more playable?
Izzet Dragonaut/Burn or Gruul LD?
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest