LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 4 ]  50%

25%
  [ 2 ]  25%

25%
  [ 2 ]  25%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 8
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:53 pm
--- description ---
A look at Defender of Free Peoples strategy with new cards.
--- end description ---

When Ents of Fangorn came out, I jumped at the chance to make a deck around the new card, Aragorn, Defender of Free peoples. But when I tried it, my deck fell apart. Legolas couldn’t win skirmishes, Aragorn got overwhelmed, and my underprotected Frodo got SMASHED. Soon, I forgot about the entire deck. But with the release of recent series, I thought that maybe my token deck could rise again...

The first thing I did was throw out Frodo. Instead, I opted to use Gimli, Bearer of Grudges. The only downside was with his game text. At the start of each skirmish involving him, you must add burdens or 2 threats. Gimli is a major companion, and with only three companions I needed a way to remove threats. This problem is easily solved by the Gondor condition Hearts Raised. At the start of the regroup phase, you may discard one card from hand to remove a threat. I could easily discard the extra copies of the unique cards in the deck.

Next, I decided to take advantage of those threats. Gimli’s Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon does just that. It gives Gimli a damage bonus, adds one to the archery, and gives him+1 strength while you can spot threats. Pump Gimli up with Ring of Fury and Arod, Rohirrim Steed for more resistance. Arod can even reinforce my dwarf tokens! My Axe is Notched, Suspended Palaces, and the Hunters card Chamber of Records are cards to place tokens. Gimli is set. (If you need events, awkward moment is a good one).

The special ability of Legolas, Companion of the Ring helps Legolas with his strength. Give him Bow of the Galadhrim and Long Knives of Legolas and he’s set. Asfaloth, Swift Blossom gives more token reinforcement. For tokens, there’s Agility, Strength of Arms, Final Count, or even Strands of Elven Hair. (Again, if you have to have events, anything is good, but you can use Inside a Song to take back those events).

If the rest of the deck works well, Aragorn won’t need much. I threw in Anduril, King’s Blade, and Knife of the Galadhrim.

A good element in this deck is wounding. Cards like Baruk Khazad and Quick as may Be help with this. You only have to add threats for Gimli at the start of skirmishes, so you can use Bow of the Galadhrim to kill minions long before that.

This fellowship cycles well, since most of its cards play in the fellowship phase. I used a Sauron discarding corruption with it. Shadows like Gollum or Enduring Nazgul would probably work well, also.

Here’s the deck I used:

Starting Fellowship:
Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Legolas, Companion of the Ring

Fellowship Cards:
    1 copy - Suspended Palaces
    1 copy - Chamber of Records
    2 copies - My Axe is Notched
    1 copy - Arod, Rohirrim Steed
    1 copy - Gimli’s Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
    1 copy - Ring of Fury
    1 copy - Gimli’s Helm
    1 copy - Dwarven Bracers
    2 copies - Awkward Moment
    4 copies - Quick as May Be

1 copy - Agility
    1 copy - Strength of Arms
    2 copies - Final Count
    1 copy - Asfaloth, Swift Blossom
    1 copy - Bow of the Galadhrim
    1 copy - Long Knives of Legolas
    1 copy - The Tale of Gil-Galad
    2 copies - Valor
    2 copies - Inside a Song

4 copies - Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples
    1 copy - Anduril, Flame of the West
    2 copies - Hearts Raised

Shadow Cards:
    3 copies - Orc Butcher
    2 copies - Orc Insurgent
    2 copies - Tower Lieutenant
    4 copies - Orc Inquisitor
    3 copies - Gorgoroth Stormer
    2 copies - Orc Slaughterer
    2 copies - The Mouth of Sauron, Lieutenant of Barad-dur
    1 copy - Grishnakh, Orc Captain
    1 copy - His Cruelty and Malice
    2 copies - Tower of Barad-dur
    2 copies - The Irresistible Shadow
    2 copies - Thin and Stretched
    4 copies - Desperate Defense of the Ring
    1 copy - Dead Marshes
    3 copies - Enduring Evil

The deck usually goes for a shadow victory, however, the fellowship can win if it has to. The purpose of the shadow is to trigger the irrestistable shadow, or just plain get ten burdens. Slap Desperate defense of the ring on their best companions, but keep one on the ring-bearer, with thin and stretched this is a lose-lose situation for your opponent. If conditions are discarded, *cough* Pallando *cough*, bring them back with dead marshes. A fast way to add burdens is Gorgoroth Stormer. If the free peoples player loses initiative by the shadow phase, not hard with Tower of Barad-dur and Orc Inquisitor, this minion can exert to add a burden, and make the free peoples player draw a card. If you can get them down to three cards in hand, use Stormer to add a burden and give them initiative again, then play an Inquisitor and then another Stormer. His Cruelty and Malice can be used with any minions that don’t take wounds, like pumped up butchers and whatever minion the opponent assigned to the ring-bearer.

You can change out some of the wounding stuff or events to slim down the deck or put in something else, but it is basicly the same.

This deck obviously doesn’t work with Fellowship and Towers cycled out, but if you play by a different format or just for fun this is definately a deck style you should look into.
[/b]
Last edited by elf lvr on Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:35 pm
Interesting. You might want to take out Anduril King’s Blade. It won’t help you at all. You won’t be able to use the Defender +1, so what’s the point? I’d take out that and Knife of the Galadhrim and put in Anduril Flame of the West. If you don’t want to take out the knife though you could just add in a FOTR Ranger’s Sword. 2 less cost, same amount of strength, and damage +1, how could you go wrong?

It was pretty well written and it covered the main strategies. You have Legolas with bow to help with swarming, Aragorn and the elf tokens to take care of the big minions, and Gimli, well he’s just a beast! Sounds like a pretty good deck to me. I give it a 4.
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:02 pm
Thank you Lord of the shire! I don’t have a Flame of the West (i really am pathetic) but i will add a ranger’s sword. and for everyone else who reads this, i welcome your criticisms and, of course, your praise!
bobtheorc
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I think that your article is somewhat interesting but really does not explain very well why I should use this deck. Your intro doesn’t really "grab" the reader and your conclusion is not very grat either. You do not explain anything about your shadow side (it may have been better not to post it).
I would have included Forth the Three Hunters and some of the other cards that work well with Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn out. I will vote later.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:31 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
bobtheorc wrote:
I think that your article is somewhat interesting but really does not explain very well why I should use this deck. Your intro doesn’t really "grab" the reader and your conclusion is not very grat either. You do not explain anything about your shadow side (it may have been better not to post it).
I would have included Forth the Three Hunters and some of the other cards that work well with Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn out. I will vote later.

I have to agree that the minion side was not even discussed and therefore should not have been included. Your strategy was good though I have to commend you for that.
I will vote later
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:43 pm
Nice article. I mostly agree with the other people who have already reviewed this article: switch out the Anduril, and either drop the Shadow side or add strategy notes for it.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Gagnut
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 am
Yeah, you can put cards on there, but I am not going to stress my imagination to think of what that deck could do, you have to do it.
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:33 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
You know, I really just think that this is a deck, with a few strategy notes attached. It’s a nice deck, but I’d like to see a full-blown strategy article. You’ve got all sorts of different strategies going on in there...you might want to slim it down a bit.

A few things about your deck: Gimli’s not going to ever get those threat bonuses, because another focus of your deck is threat removal. Then again, your opponent could always slap down a Rallying Cry, if they’re playing Raider. That would keep the threats piling on.

Also, just because you don’t have a card is no reason not to include it in your strategy deck. I’ve submitted two articles with original decks, and I have barely any of the cards in those decks-my collection’s that small...only about three hundred cards.

Third thing: you need fewer cards, and more copies of them. If a card like Gimli’s Axe or Ranger’s Sword only pops up once, you’re going to have a hard time getting it played early with any reliability.

Finally, there’s the problem of condition discarding. With all of your token pumps, your deck would go down under Sleep, Caradhras, or a similar card.

And I really would like to see a better conclusion and intro.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:51 pm
Fair article, elf lvr. A good description of the cards that you thought were vital, but there the good stuff ends. A more concise description would have been better, as well as taking out the cards that have no good effects; as LotS pointed out, Anduril, King’s Blade is pointless to include in your deck. I give it a 2.
I had to put something here.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:22 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
I give it a 2.

Shocked

That’s rather low. The article seemed good to me - it just needed to get touched up a bit.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest