LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 1 ]  50%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 1 ]  50%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:59 pm
--- description ---
See happy little elves dancing in a field. See happy little elves dancing and fireballing you for infinite on turn two.
--- end description ---
This concept was based off that one of my friends who quit playing MTG had- his last real deck. I took it, improved it, and adapted it, and voila! The first article having nothing to do with standard that I’ve published. Truth be told, I think this may not be legal in any sanctioned format, but it’s fun and infinite!

Elfball.dec

4 Worldly Tutor
4 Instill Energy
4 Eladamri’s Vineyard
4 Crop Rotation
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Argothian Elder
4 Wild Growth
4 Fireball
4 Ghitu Fire
4 Fertile Ground

4 Thran Quarry
4 Wirewood Lodge
10 Forest
2 Mountain

Here’s a general idea of the power this deck packs.

Ideal: Turn one: Forest, eladamri’s vineyard.
Turn Two: Wirewood Lodge, Argothian Elder
Turn three: Thran Quarry/Mountain with wild growth or just fertile ground on forest, go infinate with elder, untapping the lodge and enchanted land. Fireball/Ghitu Fire ftw.

Worldly Tutor- Search for Argothian Elder.

Instill Energy- This means even if you have a bit of trouble getting argothian down before turn three, you can still go infinate!

Eladamri’s Vineyard- The choice card for first turn, this allows you infinate mana turn three.

Crop Rotation- This lets you find a wirewood lodge if you need it.

Elvish Spirit Guide- This lets you dump a turn two argothian, giving turn three infinate mana!

Argothian Elder- Infinate combo of untapping with lodge etc.

Wild Growth- In case you didn’t get fertile ground

Fireball/Ghitu Fire- X spells with bonus effects! Fun for the whole family.

Fertile Ground- Combined with lodge/elder, this can give you any color mana you need in any amount.

Land Base- Quarries are good because they can give the red you need in case you didn’t get a fertile fround. Lodges are part of the combo, and two mountains for a total of ten sources of red.

Since that’s a little bit scattered, try looking at it like this.

There are a few kinds of cards:

1. Argothian Elder/Search for elder. (Argothian Elder, Worldly Tutor)
2. Land Enchantments (Fertile Ground, Wild Growth)
3. Wirewood Lodge/Search (Wirewood Lodge, Crop Rotation)
4. Burn (Fireball, Ghitu Fire)
5. Utility/Acceleration (Eladamri’s vineyard, instill energy)

The basic concept of the deck is that if you have eight copies of every combo piece, it will almost be difficult not to trigger. Then there’s eight extra cards that push the tempo, so you can hopefully trigger turn three.

What this deck has become is a very streamlines method of infinate mana. Yes, there are more powerful cards I could have used, like moxes, lotuses, and sol rings which could help, but none of the stuff in this deck is terribly expensive.

Pros of Elfball: Obviously, the best thing about elfball is you can make infinate mana! Despite the juvenile fun in this fact, it helps against decks that run infinate life combos, and with fireball, you can even win multiplayer games in one blow.

Cons of Elfball: This is a combo deck. Based on that fact alone, it’s a little easier to stop than say… goblins or something of that nature. Here, unless they counter the pieces you have duplicates of, you’ll have to be very careful with playing spells.

Final Thoughts: Hey! You can go infinate turn two!

1) Forest, Eladamri’s vineyard
2) Wirewood Lodge, Remove Elvish Spirit Guide, Argothian elder leaving the forest untapped. Tap the forest for instill energy on argothian elder. Elder open your two lands, then enchant the forest with fertile ground. Then, you have all the tools you need to fireball the world for a billion!

Other Final Thoughts: It’s very tough writing a matchup analysis for a deck that isn’t in a format and isn’t even intended to be played in a tournament anyway. Darn Sad

Final-er Final Thoughts: Yay Elves and infinate mana!
Ilvaldi
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:36 pm
AWWW...!!!! Exclamation

Grail, I remeber this. Man, aww, man. That deck was fun (well if you were playing it)! I wish Nate could read this. What motivated you to post this?
ure_d_best
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:17 am
Interesting deck. Although, the article itself needs some improvement, specially cards not available in Cobra need entire card description including casting cost since the link is not available. Also good to know where you coming from on this deck and what strategy as reader we learn from this article.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:39 pm
Yeah... I actually wrote this in response to a guy making an elf deck in the deck clinic, and I was going to scribble down a rough list, but then I figured I might as well perfect it and get some thoughts stirring amongst the masses Very Happy

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest