LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

80%
  [ 4 ]  80%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:52 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
--- description ---
Yet another companion falls victim to Saved From the Fire...
--- end description ---

"What are you doing? Put it out, fools! Put it out!" (Frodo, stomping out the fire on Weathertop, Fellowship of the Ring, 2001)

The idea came to me a couple hours after I had read an article on Decipher’s web site. It was an article about burning Gandalf, Leader of Men to play the Hunters Gandalf, who requires the spotting of two hobbits, with Sent Back. Apparently, my mind was already working on an idea, because in the middle of my daily life, the idea hit me. It was scary. It was ridiculous. It was brilliant. The idea: burn Frodo!

You might think: "Wait, Saved From the Fire can’t be used on Frodo-he’s the Ring-bearer!" However, there’s a card in Hunters that changes this all: Frodo, Frenzied Fighter. This companion is the only version of Frodo that’s not a Ring-bearer. Furthermore, there’s a sneaky trick you can use, if you include this companion. The gametext for the latest Sam (Sam, Innocent Traveller) states that Sam becomes the ringbearer "if Frodo is killed". If you take a careful look at this, it really means that you can transfer the Ring to Sam by burning Frodo, even if Frodo isn’t the Ring-bearer! Some might object that Frodo isn’t really killed. However, according to the Comprehensive Rulebook, Version 4.0, "If game text instructs you to place a character in the dead pile, that character has been killed."

But why burn Frodo, and not another Hobbit? Bidding. After Frodo is burned, the Ring is transferred to Sam. This means that Sam doesn’t get any burdens placed on him at all! So, even though you’re using an Alternate Ring-Bearer, you can safely bid more burdens than you’d normally bid. True, you run the risk of a lousy first draw, and not getting any Saved From the Fire at all, so if you want you can reduce the bid to two, or even one, you can. However, the lower the bid, the higher the risk of losing it, and losing it puts you at a big disadvantage, because much of your setup stems from the site Green Dragon Inn. And why burn Frodo at all? Setup, which I’ve already mentioned. Using the game text of the Green Dragon Inn, you can get your entire fellowship out, at a relatively low cost, plus you get Shire cards into the bargain. So, in the end, you end up with a bunch of hobbits, a handy wizard, and some helpful cards to support them.

So, let’s take a look at this setup. Your starting fellowship should include Frodo, Frenzied Fighter, Sam, Innocent Traveller, and Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation. Frodo is the only Frodo that will work with this strategy, as the Ring-bearer can’t be burned. Innocent Traveller has a nice healing function, and he works with followers. Gandalf, well, he’s the only Gandalf that’s a Ring-Bearer, and Saved From the Fire spots him. Taking this starting fellowship, you can set up an enviable fellowship right at Site 1! Here’s what you do to set up your fellowship. First of all, use the Green Dragon Inn to play Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence by exerting Frodo and Sam. Next, exert Frodo and Pippin to play Merry, the Tall One, and then exert Frodo and Merry to play Farmer Maggot, Farmer of the Marish. Now, burn Frodo and grab Salt From the Shire, Sting, Weapon of Heritage, and Sudden Fury. Play all of these, and you’re all set.

So, you’ve got your nice Fellowship all set up, and you’re ready to head down the Adventure Path. There’s a few different things that you need to remember to keep those nice hobbits alive. Sam with the One Ring, Ring of Rings and Salt From the Shire is still only at 9 Resistance. Corruption is a clear danger here. So, you need burden removal. Two burden removal cards themed along winning skirmishes (just like Sting, Weapon of Heritage) are Hope is Kindled and Watch and Wait. If a Hobbit bears Watch and Wait, and you play Hope is Kindled during their skirmish, that’s two burdens removed right there! Another helpful burden removal event is Ease the Burden, especially because your Adventure Deck features many dwellings.There’s plenty of ways to keep Sam uncorrupted, especially because he’s got that resistance boost from the Ring.

Now, the second thing you need is to win these skirmishes, especially Sam’s, to keep the burdens and wounds away. The first card up is something dependable: Everything But My Bones. Play it once, then pull it whenever you need it, as long as you’ve got four Shire cards discarded. Noble Intentions makes for a good combo with Gandalf, A Marvel does the same, but with Hobbits, and then there’s...Sudden Fury. This could be the best one of the bunch. As long as you can keep those Hobbits alive, they can lose skirmishes. You’ll be sure to have the last laugh in the end. Besides these temporary bonuses, you’ll need some permanent strength. The obvious answer, besides The Gaffer, is...Hobbit Sword! For Gandalf, you have Glamdring, Foe-Hammer (more burden removal!) and Wizard Staff.

Speaking of Gandalf, that old wizard needs a few tricks up his sleeve. The very first nice trick is The Art of Gandalf. It’s a good way of reserving those Gandalf spells, and-although it plays to your support area-it’s a possession, not a condition! One of the crucial spells, one that was so good that it got reprinted, is Intimidate. It can save your bacon countless times over, by protecting exhausted hobbits. To get Gandalf some strength, use Mysterious Wizard. You’re getting burdens off, so that +4 strength should be no problem, right?

So, there you have it. A great setup, a strong fellowship, and some side Gandalf action to wrap it up. To play this fellowship through, I will advise losing the lead to the other player. The only reason that you got the lead was Green Dragon Inn, and now you want to play dwellings and forests. The only site manipulation for hobbits is Pressing On, which has a cost on the slightly heavy side, so you don’t want to rely on it. Play conservative, and keep those hobbits alive! If you get another Saved from the Fire, consider burning Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence to grab more Shire cards from your draw deck.

Here’s an example, then, of a 34-card Free Peoples deck that uses this strategy (tweak at will!):
Ringbearer and Ring
Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation
The One Ring, the Ring of Rings

Starting Fellowship
Frodo, Frenzied Fighter
Sam, Innocent Traveller

Companions
Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence
Merry, the Tall One
Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish

Conditions
Sudden Fury

Events
Mysterious Wizard 2x
Intimidate 3x
Everything But My Bones
Hope is Kindled 3x
Noble Intentions 3x
A Marvel 2x
Saved From the Fire 4x

Possessions
Sting, Weapon of Heritage
Hobbit Sword 3x
Salt From the Shire
Glamdring, Foe-Hammer 3x
The Art of Gandalf 2x

Sites
Anduin River 0
Woody-End 0
Ettenmoors 1
Caras Galadhon 2
Hobbiton Market 2
Westemnet Village 2
Caves of Aglarond 3
Green Dragon Inn 3
The Prancing Pony 3

So, there you have it. You can call this idea idiotic, you can call it crazy, you can call it brilliant...just don’t call it late to dinner! Speaking of dinner...anyone up for some BBQ?
Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
this is really elf lvr
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:57 pm
i’m sorry, this still doesn’t work. For one thing, Green Dragon Inn only works at the start of the Fellowship phase. You have some really good ideas, you just need to read your cards.

P.S. What is happening? I stay logged in until i try to submit a post!?!
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:28 pm
Well, you still can play Pip, anyway. So not a total loss...I’ll just sub in Merry for Sudden Fury or Sting. I can reduce the number of events or possessions to increase the draw chances...not a total loss...
(I’ll alter later...I have to go)
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:30 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Interesting idea. However I really see little point it using this strategy. Basically it allows you bid high but it depends a lot on getting a Saved From the Fire in your hand. Your deck will have 68 cards in it so the chances of getting a Saved From the Fire it pretty small. Still pretty well written.
Probably a 3-4.

Crazy idea Rolling Eyes but an intersing one.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Juicetr
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:52 pm
With 4 of them in the deck he has a pretty good chance of drawing it up. However, I do agree that other than being able to bid high and go first, I don’t see the big plus. Kind of fun thinking about toastin Frodo. Well written
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:32 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
The gametext for the latest Sam (Sam, Innocent Traveller) states that Sam becomes the ringbearer "if Frodo is killed". If you take a careful look at this, it really means that you can transfer the Ring to Sam by burning Frodo, even if Frodo isn’t the Ring-bearer!

From the CRD (Current Rulings Document):

CRD wrote:
SAM
Any version of Sam that can become the ring-bearer if Frodo dies can only become the ring- bearer if Frodo was the ring bearer when he was killed.

Sorry...
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:15 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
well since your strategy doesn’t work I am obliged not to vote
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:01 pm
Also what would happen to the burdens on Gandalf, BoO?
After all you would bid high and then tranfer the ring so what would happen to the burdens?
Since the strategy does not even seem to work you may want to simply remove your article. Ditto for the first one.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:45 pm
*Hits CRD with a Cleaving Blow, Double Shot, and Flaming Brand*
Argh!!! Baruk Khazad! Elbereth Gilthoniel! Elendil! Wink
Anonymous wrote:
Also what would happen to the burdens on Gandalf, BoO?
After all you would bid high and then tranfer the ring so what would happen to the burdens?

I think they’d just vanish. But the CRD says it can’t even happen.
Quote:
Since the strategy does not even seem to work you may want to simply remove your article. Ditto for the first one.

I’m holding out for the sympathy vote. Very Happy Wink Razz
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sperzdechly
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:42 pm
You’re not the first one with this idea - as written above Sam can take ring only from Frodo. I’m sorry that you tried twice to write a original article and failed. That’s pitty. You should try to read latest Decipher’s clarifications, because there you can find answers to some crazy ideas using new cards.

P.S. Frodo, FF is from Bloodlines, not Hunters as you mentioned in your article.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest