LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

Total Votes : 3
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:38 pm
Thanks for the input, and (finally!) the rating! I’d like to think 3 stars is good for a deck that costs as little as this does and literally ANYONE could build it.

I agree that the Gigadrowse only works if you use it during their upkeep, that’s what I’ve said earlier in my replies. If I see mana acceleration in black, I’ll know to force them to tap out early.

While this deck is vulnerable to chump blockers, Gigadrowse takes out most fat fliers (Trygon Predator and the like), and Shock takes out easier targets (on turn 1 or 2, if necessary, or when you swing). Mana Leak might also pre-empt any of these guys, if it makes it into the deck.

By trying to put in a better flyer, I would have to abandon the theme of the deck, and up the price at the same time. I still think this deck will win more often if you stick to this basis and win fast, than if you try to alter this deck and try to win more consistantly. This deck, since it is so cheap both in mana and cost, really can’t survive the mid-game, so the answer is to ensure you can get out of it as soon as possible. Utopia Sprawl is nice, but requires a forest both to cast and to use, so it’s slower than the Cantor and can’t convoke like he can. Coiling Oracle is very nice, but doesn’t fit in the deck very well. The weakness the Cantor fixes is that you don’t always have the right lands, which is necessary for the Oracle. If you look right now, the only card that has two mana symbols in it is the Dragonauts, and I’d like to keep it that way. The problem with these unblockables is that they’re not mulitcolored, so the great Psychotic Fury play doesn’t help them. The Cantor can use Psychotic Fury and a Giant Growth to suprise with 8 damage if need be, but again that shouldn’t have to happen.

Thanks for the comments, I hope my response has eased your doubts about this deck, and I hope others can see it’s qualities as a rogue threat.
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:26 pm
Quote:
By trying to put in a better flyer, I would have to abandon the theme of the deck, and up the price at the same time. I still think this deck will win more often if you stick to this basis and win fast, than if you try to alter this deck and try to win more consistantly.

That’s a misunderstanding. I didn’t tell you to get the Wees out or replace them. I told you to add more creatures and vetter flyers. You won’t double the price while doubling your victory chances. You should keep in mind that you have somehow a "Only one card" - Victory-Condition, that’s the dragonauts, but I see them overestimated. If you make it to win one match, I don’t think you’ll make it again even if you’ve got all the cards you need from the beginning. I’m not telling you to change your deck but it would be much more fun to play.
Once I had a comparable deck called "Boros Burndown", which worked fine with Boros swiftblade, but it was taken out too quickly.

You know, your strategy is a bit too thin by relying on Wee dragonauts and wild cantor. spread your options and you will win more matches than with the actual configuration.

I would replace 4x Sleight of hand with 4x Dryad sophisticate. This would be 1,20 $ more but make this deck far more aggressive IMO. If you replace Gigadrowse with 4x Halcyon glaze, you’d have 12 creatures and at least a 4/4 flyer while your creature waits until next turn to attack, and you could pump up the Glaze with Wild cantor and pumping spells.
IMO this would also be fine because you’ll have dragonauts in play, and the glaze through wild cantor just entered play. Two attackers, flying, and that would be fine because you’d pump up the Glaze and wee’s would gain also more power.
Index could be very helpful in this case, so if you would change this your total price of this deck would be 10,40$(I think). At least try to think about dryad sophisticate, it would be very efficient IMO and fit perfect.

And as I’ve told before: Some cards have their price, that’s also true for the dryad.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:06 pm
I understand that the Dragonauts aren’t meant to be replaced under your suggestions, but if you try out the deck you’ll see that it’s not hard to get the Dragonauts by the time you can play them. The sophisticate relies on pump cards to do serious damage, and by the time he will have wittled your opponent’s life total down by any significant amount their deck will have been built up enough to take you out. Unless you have a Cantor to speed it up and two islands, you won’t be attacking with a Glaze until the fourth turn, which ideally should be the Dragonauts instead, and the Glaze depends on more creatures than really fit in with the Dragonaut theme. Pumping up the Glaze would mean casting a creature first, so that means less mana for pumping (unless you use a Cantor, but holding a Cantor so late isn’t worth it), and so not a more effective attack.

I tried your two specific substitutions, but I missed the Sleight of Hands dearly. Having to depend so much on the randomness of the opening hand isn’t very good for a deck like this. In the 5 hands I dealt up, I only got out the Dragonauts 2 times by the fourth turn, out of 4-5 times normally with the Sleight of Hand. With the 2-drop Sophisticates and the 3-drop Glazes, there’s not enough time to build up to your major attack, and can give your opponent that much more time to get ready for you. In one of the games where the Dragonauts weren’t there, I got a nice swing-for-7 with the Sophisticate on turn 3, but I was out of pump spells after that so no continued pressure. A nice attack, but the midgame is always going to be lacking, so you might as well try to avoid it as much as possible.
The glaze didn’t come out in the times I had those hands, and if he did, all my creatures would’ve been dropped already. Halcyon Glaze is a great card, and can have a deck built to power it to victory, using Imaginary Pet and the like, but he doesn’t fit here.

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it even if I’m a bit stubborn to change anything Razz.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:48 pm
I like your ideas, but it looks to me as if a lightning helix just shuts down your whole deck. I mean, there aren’t very many creatures and if you make a 17/3 dragonaut, they can gasp, mortify, putrefy, helix, char as instants, or fetter/arc/or w/e else on their turn.

My point is, I just think the deck is too fragile. I like the economy idea, but I think burn is one of the best economically sound decks out there.
Cobra
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:08 am
There is the possibility of Giant Growth or Gather Courage...

Putrefy and Mortify are definitely bad news though.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:14 pm
Confused I see where you’re coming from with the Lightning Helix shutting down the deck, but as Cobra says the green pump cards help in that respect. Mortify and Putrefy are the reasons for the newly added Mana Leaks, and unless you’re dealing with WBG then it’s equal chance they have one of those cards as I have a Mana Leak, so there’s a bit of reassurance.
I’m kind of offended to hear you say that burn is one of the most economically sound decks out there, right after you list char as one of the problem cards burn will present me Confused . That one card costs more than this entire deck. This deck is meant for people who don’t have money for the power rares or even the good uncommons, or for just something fun to throw together from a bunch of cards you have laying around. People have gotten better than a 2 based on the consideration of their goals for the deck before, and I wish you would’ve thought a bit about that before rating the deck.
Well, I guess I asked for it when I asked for input *shrug*
Thanks, and I’ll make the next one less fragile
The First
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:16 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
I don’t really think that this deck deserves much more than a 2 either (heck, my deck got no more than a 2 -it included rares and card analyses- while it performed rather well in playtesting). This is a board to post articles. You should learn us something with it, share knowledge or a fun situation... Or post a decktype and share your opinion/look about/upon certain cards in it. Match-up reports are always very useful.

It could be nice to post a competetive, budget deck that would be very potent in T2 (or some other format) but I don’t think that is the case with this deck. I rather had a deja-vu with it than anything else.

Articles about budget decks should be:

- either very fun (for casual)
- very powerful thanks to some c/u cards or combo
- include a rares section to upgrade/improve the deck

if not, budget shouldn’t be the main goal IMO.

I like the idea behind this deck (I’m a combo-ish player myself) and I have no doubt that once you get into rotation, you’ll post some interesting and entertaining articles.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
KillerKiku
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:55 pm
Oh my God!

Are you some sort of advise - resistant? Some guys here had good ideas I don’t know why you throw them away... d'oh!

You will not win any match. You want to be quick but that is the basic idea of magic, you are not the first one trying to find some speedy way...

Forget about this... there are so many cards to disrupt your entire(!) deck that you should stay away from it in this form.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:18 pm
Also, keep in mind the post counts, it usually tells you some about the people.

With me for example, it says I’ve been here a while and I will accept advice, but only after I’m convinced it’s sound.

Felipe is being quick to absorb all the thoughts of other people before making his own judgements, but he’s probably posted more than me in the last month (he’s newer than I am by a good bit).

Those with the fewest posts haven’t learned to trust us all yet. It’s okay with me if people don’t listen to me, it doesn’t bother me. All I do is give people the chance to hear what I have to say, and arguing about it is how we have blog fights, which is just pitiful all over.
KillerKiku
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:43 pm
Oh no, I do not mean The_First, I was speaking to the one with this terrible terrible bad deck idea... okay, basics are good, forget the rest.

You have not to tell me about post-counts... I’m clever enough to get it on my own, thanks.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest