LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

75%
  [ 3 ]  75%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
michael knight
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:48 pm
Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 105 Location: Above the Law, Ohio
Yeah, discard decks can hurt, but what deck does a discard deck not hurt??
There are two ways to play this. One, the strategy I outlined in the article. Two, if you can get 3 forests down early and a dark approach you can try to swarm at 3, which happens often enough. Trouble is if you go at 3 and miss, you can be in trouble. Losing Moving this way does hurt, but again, not much we can do about that. hatred stirred can get it back, but that is unreliable at best. but this is where the fellowship comes in. With radagast and Blood runs chill, you can pull off a triple if needed. This deck dosen’t win all the time, but it is my favorite right now. I just got my hunters in this afternoon, so I am going to playtest it against IB rangers this weekend. I think it might be ugly, but we shall see.
One Man Can Make A Difference
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:54 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Hey, a pretty good article. I love the idea of dropping seven to thirteen nazgul on a fellowship! Ouch!
BTW, your Dain Ironfoot isn’t linking. You need to make it Dain Ironfoot, King Under the Mountain.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
michael knight
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:28 pm
Dain is fixed. The Wraiths have always been my favorite culture, and seeing all nine Nazgul out is pretty cool. Seeing more than 9 is even better!!
bobtheorc
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:12 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Pretty good article. Maybe a bit more on the fellowship side but it was ok as is.
Also maybe some more spacing.
a couple spelling errors but for the most part pretty solid.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
sperzdechly
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:56 pm
michael knight wrote:
Yeah, discard decks can hurt, but what deck does a discard deck not hurt??

Elfs/Orcs - Celeborn brings events back to hand, and Elrond everything else. Orcs can recycle conditions, posessions and minions... At the moment it’s my favourite. Smile Discard decks cannot do me anything Very Happy
michael knight
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:24 pm
Orcs can pull everything back, but if you spend all your time bringing stuff back when do you have a chance to use it? How do orcs and elves go together? Elves like Forests and Orcs like underground?
Elves are good, but Celeborn only pulls one card per move. If he is the only way to recycle events then it isn’t fair to say he beats discard all by himself. I am assuming you start Celeborn right? Othewise he could be discarded.
A good discard deck, with new orcs could be trouble. It all depends on the deck build though. Discard decks are notorious for being inconsistent.
sperzdechly
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:55 pm
Smile You’re very one-sided ane one-tracked.
Orcs can pull everything back. But discard decks won’t discard you everything, so I don’t have to spend all my time for bringing stuff back. I just recycle these cards what I need and play the rest from hand. You have to remember that devoting deck to discard, you have to resignate from some cards - pumps, discard, healing. So discard decks usually aren’t so strong in fight.
Orcs and Elven works fine togheter. I don’t use forests. I try as much as I can avoid them - Nazgul are to strong (you know this- you’re playing them Smile ). Having Aragorn or Smeagol you have path control for FP side, path control of Orcs is obviuos. Using this wisely you don’t need to have only undergrounds in deck, and even so Elves can run on undergrounds.
Celeborn doesn’t beat discard by himself. He has Elrond to help him. Both can pull 3-4 cards per move. That’s quite a lot, more than any other culture can. Yes, I’m staring Celeborn and have 2 Elronds in deck.
Yes, I admit - good discard deck can be a trouble. I always can have a bad draw and loose with it. In fact, every GOOD deck can be a trouble. But I’m not so affraid of discrds deck as e.g. archery decks (Evil Man).
michael knight
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:09 am
I agree that the elves have excellent recursion abilities. And you are also correct that a discard decks won’t have pumps or possesions for thier minions. But an average minion is stronger than an average companion, and you won’t have any pumps either because the point of a discard deck is to discard your cards, leaving you pulling events back just to have them discarded. I don’t think they could kill your fellowship normally, but I do think they might be able to keep you from running a lot. If they delay your fellowship enough, they can run before you set up your shadow.
All hypothetical, of course. Discard decks are very inconsistent and you can often get so far ahead of them by running early that they can never catch up.
What smeagol do you have in there? Do you have pumps for him, or just site path control? I have an elf deck with smeagol also. I doubt it is the same strategy, but it would be interesting to see how yours is built.
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:26 am
I love discard decks.... probably because I’m the one using them...

heh heh heh

Mr. Green
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
sperzdechly
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:20 am
Path control in my Elves is changing every tounament. The rest is more or less the same. One reason for it is that I want to suprise opponents, the second is that I cannot find optimal solution. My latest deck had:

Smeagol, Scout and Guide
Follow Smeagol
Where Shall We Go x2
Don’t Look At Them

This was quite good. Earlier I used to use only Don’t Look At Them x2 and Follow Smeagol with Smeagol, Always Helps , but condition like to be discarded lately (especially by Nazguls, but also by Corsairs - to hardest to beat decks). So I decided to turn into events. Opponent never knows if I had one on hand or not, so he or she has to risk sometimes.Smile Moreover Smeagol can play next site without exerting also when Follow Smeagol lies on discard pile Smile Third very important thing is his ability to cancel skirmish. It resolves problem of minions who cannot take wounds in archery+maneuver and other nasty things things who survive archery fire (Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One for example).
In my shadow I have Orcs. I try to play my helping-fellowship sites in Free People phases, then switch them to undergrounds in Shadow phases (if this is needed), then I’m able to play helping-fellowship sites again in next Free People phases.

But now I put Smeagol away and Aragorn joined my Elven forces Smile I use new Aragorn with his old bow and Pathfinders.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest