LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
Eomer3rdMarshal
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:26 pm
Joined: 14 Apr 2006 Posts: 163 Location: Riding free in the Westfold
--- description ---
A prehunters standard second look at fighting in the Riddermark -- and a relatively easy deck to construct.
--- end description ---

If you’re like me, you like to create new ways to use cards that have been passed over. You also like to use old favorites -- and, you don’t want to spend a fortune. Well, here’s a deck with my favorites the Rohirrim and the much-abused new Uruk culture. This deck contains only 3 rares "as is", and all are replaceable.

The good side revolves around mounts, with Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark, Rally Cry, Rider’s Spear, White Hot Fury, and Riding Like the Wind being just some of the cards that can uses them. Many companions are stronger when facing wounded minions. The various events all have their own uses.
The shadow side is a simple beatdown, which can be defeated, but there are cards to attempt a staving off of many strategies. Invincible Uruk, Fortitude, and Rohan Uplands both work against Elf or Eowyn/Elf archery decks, while the first two also help when facing Hobbit shadow wounding or other maneuver wounding decks. Simple strength fights let your minions shine, as their events and damage bonuses begin to bring them down. If they forget condition removal, they have a difficult time on their hands.
That being said, there are weaknesses. Neither side has very much condition removal. There is no healing for your Rohirrim. Cycling can become a problem.
Here is the main decklist:

Frodo, Protected by Many
The One Ring, the Ruling Ring

Adventure Deck
Fortress of Orthanc (0)
Isenwash (0)
Pelennor Flat (1)
Rohan Uplands (1)
Slag Mounds (1)
Flats of Rohan (2)
Helm’s Gate (2)
Osgiliath Reclaimed (2)
Harrowdale (3)

You may notice that every site is either a Battleground or a Plains. I planned that... you might replace Osgiliath Reclaimed with Stables, if you want to go first.

Free Peoples (34)
Eowyn, Shieldmaiden of Rohan (s)
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark (s)
Theoden, King of the Eorlingas
Haethen, Veteran Fighter
Veteran Horseman
Elite Rider
Eomer’s Spear
Herugrim
Rider’s Spear x4
Riddermark Javelin x2
Swift Steed x2
Rohirrim Mount x3
Firefoot, Eomer’s Steed
Hobbit Sword
Border Patrol
King’s Board
Riding Like the Wind
War Now Calls us x2
White Hot Fury x3
Rally Cry x3
Ride With Me x2

As I mentioned before, this is quite flexible. Any of the non-unique companions can be replaced with any other, and there are other choices for Eowyn (Lady of Rohan or Dernhelm), Eomer (Keeper of Oaths or Guardian of the Eastmark), and Theoden (The Renowned or Tall and Proud). You can replace events at your pleasure.
What you want to do with this deck, mainly, is go second and hopefully your Shadow (which I will give next) will slow your opponent enough so that, at site six, you can play Riding Like the Wind, boosting strength temporarily and, if it works, letting you triple. Between exertions, damage bonuses, and the 2/4 archery provided by the javelins, you should by this point be able to kill all minions you beat, and that should be most. Rohirrim Mount’s defender +1, on Haethen and Theoden (or even Eomer, if Firefoot is lacking) will let you hold off swarms. Granted, this doesn’t always work. Riding Like the Wind weakens Frodo (thus the swords), and a good draw for a good Shadow will stop the triple. Nevertheless, sometimes you may be able to win right there, or at least go far enough to pass your opponent near the end.

Shadow (34)
Bloodthirsty Uruk x4
Invincible Uruk x3
Squad of Uruk-hai x2
Uruk Outrider x2
Tyrannical Uruk x2
Saruman, Agent of the Dark Lord x2
Uruk Dominator x2
Suffered Much Loss
Enemy Without Number (for extra twilight)
Shingle in a Storm x2
Fortitude
Tempest of War x2
Our Foes Are Weak x3
Devastation
Brutality x2
Furor x4

As you can see, you want to exhaust companions and lower resistance. The first is easier, but if you can slap on an Our Foes Are Weak and use Shingle in a Storm in the same phase, you may be able to kill a key character.

As I said before, this deck may not be tier one... but, at least in my opinion, it sure is fun! Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Eomer3rdMarshal on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:17 pm; edited 8 times in total"Forth Eorlingas!"
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:03 pm
How do you expect to get a companion down to 2 res. with just one Our Foes Are Weak (it is limit one per companion)? You know, for shingle in a storm? That won’t work. And Ride with me doesn’t let you triple move, did you confuse it with another card? I know this deck is meant to be a not to expensive alternative to other decks, but I think it would go down easily. The fellowship isn’t bad, nor is the shadow, but they’re not really good either. My advice? Slim down the companions a little, and take the res. stuff out of the shadow or add more in. What you have is doing you no good. I will vote later.
bobtheorc
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:16 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
He probably should use Tempest of War. Very useful card.
Also you are right. Ride with Me does not affect the move limit.
The only Rohhirim cards that I know of that affect the move limit are Riding Like the Wind, Stern People, Theoden, The Renowned, and News From the Mark.
Also Eomer3rdMarshal you might want to cut the Isengard Swords and put in 2 more Are Foes Are Weak and 2 or so Tempest of War
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Eomer3rdMarshal
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:43 pm
Thanks. I did mean the Riding Like the Wind. Fixed it. As for the lowered resistance, well... I guess I assumed that they would either (a) bid 1 to go first (thus 6 -1 -3) or (b) have one added by Pelennor Flat. I should have explained that though. I will take your suggestion about the Isengard Swords, though. Thanks, both of you!
"Forth Eorlingas!"
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:46 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Eomer3rdMarshal wrote:
Thanks. I did mean the Riding Like the Wind. Fixed it. As for the lowered resistance, well... I guess I assumed that they would either (a) bid 1 to go first (thus 6 -1 -3) or (b) have one added by Pelennor Flat. I should have explained that though. I will take your suggestion about the Isengard Swords, though. Thanks, both of you!

you can’t rely on that and even if you could you would need tempest of war on a 7 or mroe res. companion.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Eomer3rdMarshal
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:51 pm
I just edited that... I realize that that doesn’t always work. This is my first attempt at a strategy article, and I am editing it to include suggestions.
"Forth Eorlingas!"
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:58 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Eomer3rdMarshal wrote:
I just edited that... I realize that that doesn’t always work. This is my first attempt at a strategy article, and I am editing it to include suggestions.

OK I have to think what i will vote.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:40 pm
It is ok, good grammar, and good attempt for a first time. I like your topic.

One problem. You have 3x Swift Steed , 3x Rohirrim Mount , 1x Windfola
And 1x Firefoot. That is 8 horseys, and 7 rohirrim companions.
One Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
One thing to bring them all
And In the darkness bind them
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:48 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Not necessarily a problem. It just gives him a better chance of drawing a mount.

Hmm...seven companions...that’s a lot. There’s quite a few cards that would punish that.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sperzdechly
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:30 am
Nice article. Simple and consistent. You kept the article form and present good grammar. Personally I love Rohan and Uruks and have played this since beginnings of these cultures.

Maybe firstly I’ll comment the comments:
1. 7 companions - IMHO it can be even to less - I’d play 9. Of course there are cards which will punish it, but untill opponent drwas them, you can be 3-4 sites ahead. Then It would be to late for any punishment Smile And I suppose that every player isn’t stupid - if there is real danger in having 6 companions, he’ll play 5 and discard the rest.
2. 8 mounts - it is OK. There are many cards using mounts (White Hot Fury, Riding Like the Wind). The fater you’ll get it the better. And you have to keep in mind shadows cards, which discards possesions.

My pieces of adivice:
1. Veteran Horseman would be nice in this deck, he can become very powerful. Consider also adding Haleth, Son of Hama - he prevent your horses from beeing discarded (which would be very painful for this deck) - I’d say he’s even a must-have.
2. Add at leat one Tempest of War. It’s not unique so you can play 2 or 3 of them and cause additional reduction of resistance.
3. Shadow is reducing resistance, but make no use of that. Change several minons (like Lookout Uruk and Relentless Uruk - I never liked nor used them) to Saruman, AotDL, Uruk Desecrator, Uruk Dominator. They all are from BR starter so shouldn’t be hard to get.

Aa you wrote this isn’t tier one deck, but that wasn’t the goal of this article. You managed to build cheap and playable deck. I like your style. I’d give you 4, but as it is your first article I’ll give you 5 - great start!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest