LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
50%
  [ 1 ]  50%

50%
  [ 1 ]  50%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
Memnarch Mastermind
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:24 pm
Woh, I can’t help feeling you are looking for mass destruction through necroplasm. If that is the case, IMO plague boiler will be a good addition to this.
However I am not really sure that necroplasm kills the tokens... they don’t have a mana cost.
Another point is speed. I can’t help feeling your deck is a few touches too slow. Maybe you put in some elves of deep shadow and BoP.
if you destroy many things, Plague boiler can perfectly surpress agro. Are they really coming out with their stuff or are they waiting til the boiler detonates?
I found out that this can be a phantastic psychologic way of warfare and maybe you consider it: You may control the field(if there aren’t any seed sparks or putrefy around, and if they are, it may hinder them from their stratagem). For a turn 2 drop and turn 4 detonation, consider more dredgers like shambling shell or spells like vigor mortis / zombify than the tutors.
Also nice for you IMO when dealing with mass destruction: crime / punishment, especially punishment!

I hope I didn’t miss the point here... d'oh!
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:59 pm
I see your point, and because of this conversation I’ve realized that my mana curve is low, so Bob would find a perfect place in this deck. I think I’ll go -4 Diabolic Tutors +4 Dark Confidant.
You bring up a good point about Fetters, against which I can only hope to use Voyager Staff, which is risky. I’m thinking of abandoning this deck idea based on its fragile nature.

Memnarch Mastermind, Plague Boiler is a good control card, and it’s worth considering. I’ll get back to you on that.
Necroplasm does kill token creatures when his ability goes off and he has 0 +1/+1 counters, just as Punishment (Crime / Punishment) with X=0 does the same. Thank you for bringing this card to my attention, it deserves a spot in the deck as well. It’s getting harder and harder to slim this deck down, so I have to consider what has the most utility. It’s looking like -2 Voyager Staff +2 Crime / Punishment

Grail, thanks for helping me out with this deck. It’s looking better.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:37 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I was re-reading this article, and I think that you could "start over" (yeah, I know how terrible this sounds, but believe me, I did it once, and it was worth it!) this deck, and make it G/B/U. This way, you’d have G for acceleration (due to Utopia Sprawls and Birds, MAYBE Llanowar Elves or Wood Elves to fetch duals) nad U for counter and drawing. Also, you could use 4 Voyager Staff, andthings like Recollect and Reclaim to get them back. Why? Then, you could add in Plague Boiler for control. Sinply "manage" the Plague Boiler ’till you think it’s ok to pop it (your main combo has a very slow cost for a control deck, after all) and wipe everything out. Voyager Staffwill save your creatures, if used in response, and if you also board in Leyline of Singularity, you can choose to either "warp out" your Horror, not giving ANY tokens in the process, or your Necroplasm, so it does not "eat" your Horror. Ok, you might be thinking: if there’ll be no tokens, then why Necroplasm? Simple: control. Board in Simic Guildmage, and here’s what happens after you stabilish control, each turn: 1Green: Makes Horror +1/+1 forever, WHILE preventing opponents from having ANY one-drops, EVER. If an opponent uses tokens, for instance (Golgari Germination combo), you could simply pay 2GreenGreen, to move 2 counters, and then keep on paying 1Green "forever", killing all tokens. And, if even with this and your counters your opponent STILL managed to get some bomb out (remeber, they’d all be Legendary, so a single Carven Caryatid or Drift of Phantasms could block A LOT of threats), simply pop out a plague boiler and save your horror with the Staff. Well, so how does this sound? I know it’s a lot if ideas at once, and probably not what you were expecting, so take your time to analyze them, and MAYBE test out a few deck designs. If you’re interested in the idea, I could try and design something myself, too, to help.
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:48 am
Wow, good job on the analysis Felipe, I want to try out this idea.
First draft, without playtesting (I’ll have time later, I’ll update then):
Hunted Necroplasm V2.0
Creatures {15}
3 Necroplasm
3 Hunted Horror
3 Simic Guildmage
2 Trygon Predator
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

Control/Utility {15}
3 Leyline of Singularity
4 Voyager Staff
4 Plague Boiler
4 Crime / Punishment

Mana Fixers {8, 12 with STE}
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Farseek

Lands {22} (gasp, I broke with my old ways!)
11 Forest
7 Swamp
4 Watery Grave (gasp, I actually put a dual in!!! Who is this person who is masquerading as Brian Boitano?)

My approach when I was building this deck was, anything that I’d like to stay around I should only have 3 of due to the Leyline. That’s why spells and permanents that sacrifice are the only 4-ofs in the deck. This might not have been the best decision, as it means I might not be able to rebuild after a Plague Boiler, so I might go back and make certain cards 4-ofs later.
This new deck seems to be a much better match-up in most cases in today’s metagame. Ghazi-Glare loses most of its tokens to Punishment, Singularity, and Necroplasm; Ghost Husk loses its ghosts for the same reasons. Zoo can probably rebuild easier than me, but I have a lot of answers. Trygon Predator is in there as a safeguard against combo, but also because I needed another reason to justify the blue splash and he’s very mana efficient. He also rarely dies to Necroplasm, so that’s a perk. Carven Caryatid might better fit in this spot, but again that leaves me with only one blue card in the deck. I seriously doubt it, but could it make sense to run no blue mana and 4xLeyline, then mulligan until I get it in the opening hand? Or would that be too risky, and lead to it being a dead card in hand? It’s a debatable point.
Anyhow, I’ll get back to this later, maybe in a couple of hours once I’ve gotten some of this work done around here. Thanks for the comments again, Felipe, I’m really excited about this version!
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:00 pm
I’ve tried a deck counting on getting Leyline on your opening hand. No good.
Trygon Predator could be SB, and you could splash in Remands and Mana Leaks to justify the Blue. Better, IMO. Also, you should stick with at least 4 Horrors and 4 Necroplasms, since they’re, respectively, your win condition and what can keep you alive.
I also think Crime/Punishment shuold be moved to SB, too much token killing for my tastes. If there’s still space in the deck’s build, I suggest raising the number of Simic Guildmages (hey, they’re also blue! Wink ), since the Guildmage+Necroplasm lock is what guarantees you longevity enough to wipe the board. Also, I don’t think zoo will be THAT annoying, since most creatures are low-cost ones and the Necroplasm combo will keep them dead forever. An remember, once you have enough mana, you CAN, let’s say, pay 1Green so, instead of killing your Horror, the Necroplasm suicides, taking with him a Burning-Tre Shaman (since your horror WILL have some counters on him). Or, for instance, paying 2GreenGreen so that it kills a Rumbling Slum, and keeps on growing forever (another good lock)! I also strongly suggest you pack some Recollects, or at least some Reclaims, if nothing else, for the Voyager Staff, should you play someone withLOTS or removal.
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:24 pm
You’re probably right on the Remands/Mana leaks, but I’d like you to give me an idea of what I should take out Razz
Right now, I’m thinking
-2 Trygon Predator (moved to SB, as you said)
-2 Crime / Punishment
+4 Mana Leak
Other than that, I don’t see what could come out! 4 Hunted Horrors would be nice, but I don’t think I’d need all of 4 Necroplasms, since this build has more ways than the previous to deal with the Horror’s tokens, what with the Leyline, Necroplasm, Punishment, and Voyager Staff in a pinch Wink
Punishment has more uses than just a token killer, it can run point-removal of nearly anything, if you’re careful enough!
So lemme know what you think I should cut for more countermagic, if anything, and let me know if you have any ideas that might utilize Simic Guildmage’s other ability, it feels kinda weird just sitting there. Followed Footsteps for a bit of utility/control/Hunted Horror duplication (when you have a token killer), and Followed Footsteps + Leyline of Singularity + Simic Guildmage = "each upkeep, bury target creature. That creature cannot be regenerated, and that creature MAY be untargetable (read FAQ on Simic Guildmage Very Happy).
I want room for Followed Footsteps now!
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:41 pm
Followed Footsteps is way to expensive for this build, and unecessary, due to Putrefy/Plague Boiler. the secondary ability of the guildmage COULD, of course, be used to Molvervine Cloak a Carven Caryatid, as utility, as could it move some key Magemark around, disrupting a combo. Otherwise, Ithink it’s ok just sitting there, at least for this build. For point removal, for the sake of more room in the deck, I’d drop Crime/Punishment ENTIRELY to SB, and would play with Simic Guildmage+Necroplasm+Hunted Horror token reorganizing. I’ll get back to this tonight, since I have some things to do this afternoon, though.
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:31 pm
So many replies, and no reviews? That’s odd. Think

I pretty much shared LSG’s concerns after the initial build, liked the improvements made, and definitely liked some of the ideas in "Version 2.0." Not totally comfortable with the Blue splash though, seeing as the cornerstone of your deck has a double-Black casting cost and should come down early.

All in all, I’m not sure about this as a competitive deck, but it definitely looks fun and you have a well-written article that’s provoked a lot of discussion. (Webmasters like discussion... Wink) Four from me.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:18 pm
Actually, the blue splash would turn it into a control deck, so you don’t REALLY need to have the horror out THAT early, since once he’s out, he’ll STAY. Leyline prevents early beating by reducing drawing odds for creatures in aggro, since they can’t draw identical creatures if they want to pound, and you can simply counter some of them early game, until you set your table to blow up some guys with a Necroplasm.
I don't like YOU.
r2d2quino
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:00 pm
Cool idea! Gets five stars from me, no doubt! I’ve read this article before, and tried some hands with this build. Very fun to play with, and I think that, with some thinking, it could be competitive.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest