LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

Total Votes : 6
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:15 pm
--- description ---
Watch your opponent’s mouth drop as you take him out with this crazy corruption deck.
--- end description ---
I have always been fascinated by the art of corruption. This type of shadow side is so versatile as you can corrupt with many different cultures. I found a nice mix of two cultures that just absolutely come together and work wonderfully when trying to corrupt. The first culture is Ringwraith I think most of us know that that nazgul can be horrid when they are in the corrupting mood. First of all Ulaire Enquea Thrall of the One does a very good job of putting on the burdens. This is one of the Enduring nazgul that during a skirmish involving him you can heal him to add a burden. How simple is that! Now for our next card. Between Nazgul and Prey is a wonderful way to get those wounds on your Ulaire Enquea TotO and it also let’s you assign him to an unbound companion of your choice. This is great so that you can make sure your Ulaire Enquea TotO doesn’t get killed by Eowyn LoI before he uses his ability. Another great way to get your Ulaire Enquea TotO exerted is by using an event that is Toil 2 and says spot a nazgul to add a burden. This wonderful manuever event is called Keening Wail.

Now we find another good reason for being able to assign Ulaire Enquea TotO to whom ever you wish as lng as they are unbound. Sense of Obligation is a nother great burden adding card. It’s text says that at the end of the assignment phase if the bearer is not assigned to a skirmish and a companion not bearing a Ringwraith condition is you get to add a burden. Which is great considering if you put this condition on smaller companions they most likely will not assign them to fight your big nazgul. Another nazgul that you will want to use to assign is Ulaire Cantea BA. This guy can be assigned to any companion as long as their resistance is zero, then on top of that if you can spot six companions and a ringwraith card you can kill the companion he is skirmishing. Ok now for the second culture that make such a nice blend in this deck. The Sauron culture has a few burden adding cards but there are two we want to look at imparticular. First of all, The Mouth of Sauron Lieutenant of Barad-Dur, this guy can get assigned to the strongest companion, which is awesome in combination with Sense of Obligation. Now for the second card of the Sauron culture, The Ring is Mine! simply says that if a burden is added if you can spot a Sauron minion add another burden.

Now, we need something for a bit of site manipulation. This is where Ulaire Nelya Third of the Nine Riders comes in. He can change sites along the adventure path with his shadow action that simply says exert him to replace the fellowship’s current site. This comes into play when playing that lovely site called Courtyard Parapet. When the fellowship moves to this site you can discard to cards to add a burden. Then, you swap it with your Ulaire Nelya TotNR. Finally, we need something to help get your Between Nazgul and Prey back into your hand. This is where Ulaire Toldea Black Shadow comes out of the shadows. He says that when you play him you can exert him to take Ringwraith event back into hand. Now for a look at the decklist.

Minions:
Ulaire Enquea Thrall of the One x4
Ulaire Toldea Black Shadow x4
Ulaire Nelya Third of the Nine Riders x4
Ulaire Cantea Black Assassin x2
The Mouth of Sauron Lieutenant of Barad-Dur x4

Events:
Minas Morgul Answers x2
The Ring is Mine! x4
Between Nazgul and Prey x3
Keening Wail x4

Conditions:
Sense of Obligation x4

There you have it. An awesome corruption deck that sits pretty right at 35 cards. Thanks for your time and your votes.

WitchKingBlkCapt
Last edited by WitchKingBlkCapt on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:19 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Have you actually tested this? It looks like you threw together a bunch of corruption cards. I’m a bit skeptical of your title claim. Have you actually gotten 10 burdens on Frodo with this deck, like you claim? And how are you going to get The Ring Is Mine! out at the same time as the Mouth of Sauron?

You’d do good with some formatting. Spell out the ringwraith’s names, so that they link. And paragraphs. You need paragraphs.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:57 pm
CG is right; it doesn’t look like you have actually used this deck. Your grammar could use some patching up, and putting links for the cards would be helpful so that the readers can see the game text instead of just reading what you think of the card without knowing the text. Otherwise, a fair article. I give it a 3.
I had to put something here.
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:14 pm
There are several problems with the deck as you have designed it.

You are aiming for a corruption deck and many of the cards in the deck can help achieve that end, however these cards don’t work particularly well together.

For example:
You have only four enduring Nazgul, ulaire enquea thrall of the one and three Between Nazgul and Prey. Based on the cards you have, you will only be able to play Enquea four times and you have to have the BNAP/Enquea combo in hand in order for it to work correctly. If you had more enduring nazgul, you could at least use the BNAP on them while only playing one or two minions (more on twilight cost later) and ensure your BNAPs will work.

If you are playing any minion that you cannot assign to a companion without a Sense of Obligation on it, the free people’s player will likely assign that companion to a minion thus preventing that Sense working. The average strength of your minions is right around 10 (with Enquea and Toldea being the two strongest at 11 and 12 respectively) so while the companion may lose, they will not be overwhelmed since most companions are 6 or greater strength. This hurts your goal of corruption significantly.

Minion cost is another factor that you haven’t taken into account. Your cheapest minion is the Mouth of Sauron at three twilight. He doesn’t work with many of your events. In order to pull of the deck as you have stated it, you need to be able to play Courtyard Parapet repeatedly (thus the Nelyas). If you play Nelya to switch out the site, you have an unassignable minion on the table and have spent 4 twilight to do it. To pull off the Enquea/BNAP combo requires 10 twilight which you will likely not be getting regularly until region three at which point it is usually too late to corrupt the ring bearer. You try to keep the cost down by using TOIL events, but they will still wind up costing you something due to only being able to get out 1 to 2 Wraith minions a turn. Two of the Wraith minions you have chosen have exert functions that you plan on using, so vitality for TOIL will be an issue as well.

I also think that The Ring is Mine will have a tendency to clog your hand if you aren’t able to get Sense of Obligation to stay on a companion. Again it is at least a three card combo that requires some setup and depends on conditions being able to stay on the table.

I think that this looks good on paper, but won’t hold up in actual testing. You might consider pairing this with a free people’s half that focuses on site path manipulation so that you can remove the Nelya’s and replace them with other enduring Nazgul such as Ulaire Otsea Thrall of the One or Ulaire Nelya Thrall of the One. Try cutting the number of events down by getting rid of The Ring is Mine and at least two keening wail. Replace one with an Out of sight and Shot as that will allow you to get back a key nazgul at the right time.
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

This Incognito is a smooth operator - Lem0nhead
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:42 pm
This shadow side actually won me first and second in two PSQ’s and it works very well. I had it paired with knights if you are curious. I will edit so that lnks appear and stuff. Yes, I have added 10 burdens in one site. I actually did that when I got 4th in the Tennessee TOC.

WitchKingBlkCapt
"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:56 am
it looks like it has potential, but i would advise you to playtest it a lot more, also, some of the cards dont seem to flow very well with the rest of them, revise it and take out any unnecesary cards
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:48 am
PorterTroll wrote:
it looks like it has potential, but i would advise you to playtest it a lot more, also, some of the cards dont seem to flow very well with the rest of them, revise it and take out any unnecesary cards

This is an article, not a deck list. WitchKingBlkCapt, the article is okay, but it is very VERY hard to get 10 burdens in 1 site.
It is possible, yes, but hard. Nevertheless, it is a good article. I’ll give it a 3.
One Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
One thing to bring them all
And In the darkness bind them
PorterTroll
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:31 pm
true, it looks good, but just because it is possible to get 10 burdens out on one site does not mean you can do it consistently, some times you may only add 3 burdens on one site, and sometimes you may not even add any on a site, but if this deck really could add 10 burdens per site CONSITENTLY then i would give it a 5 no doubt
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:01 pm
Well, it doesn’t give 10 burdens consistently, so I guess he doesn’t get a 5. Wink
I had to put something here.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:53 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
There’s some good ways to get 10 burdens.

First of all, Lingering Shadow. Slap these down on just about every companion, and then get them wounded. If you’re playing Expanded, stick Blade Tip in there to force the FP player to wound them to death, or else add burdens by healing.

Use Morgul Brute to exhaust the Ringbearer or add more burdens. The Witch-King, Lord of the Nazgul (also for expanded) is awesome to keep Frodo exhausted, and to force him to pile on burdens.

Finally, Courtyard Parapet. (Ah, how I wish Eregion Hills was reprinted! Very Happy )
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest