LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 1 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 1
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
A brief summary on how the Regionals went in Santa Catarina
--- end description ---

I’d like to start his Article by apologyzing. I’d writen on a sheet a turn-by-turn summary of all my games, as well as my opponents’ decks, and a similar analysis of the final match, but I lost it due to personal issues, so I’ll focus the article around me and my friend, who constructed his deck with me the night before the Regionals. I WILL, though, post the T8 decks here in a few days, and MAYBE all the decks, if I can find the time to write them.

REGIONALS IN THE SOUTH OF BRAZIL!

1. The Planning

As I said before, me and my friends simply didn’t have enough time to get our hands on our wanted cards, so we kinda had to go with what I had (since he didn’t have anything really useful, except for a couple Sakura Tribe Elders, two Putrefys and one Utopia Sprawl, which he used). Also, our decks were finished with some unspotted weaknesses, due to the fact that, aside from having no rares (or four copies of the good ones), we only playtested against each other’s decks.

2. The Decks

Taking a good, long and careful look at the cards we had, I chose to go with a G/R Vore/LD deck, and he decided to go with a G/B/W control deck with Evasion/Removal, without Wrath of God (since we simply didn’t have copies). So, I’ll post our results, then I’ll point out the problems I could spot later (sadly), and then, I’ll write what the decks would’ve looked like, had I had more time to playtest them (still considering what I had in stock, mind you).

3. Deck analysis

3.1 Musco’s Deck

21 Land

1 Stomping Ground
9 Mountain
11 Forest

1 Instant

1 Char

6 Enchantment

4 Utopia Sprawl
2 Genju of the Spires

9 Creatures

4 Llanowar Elves
3 Magnivore
2 Giant Solifuge

23 Sorcery

4 Pyroclasm
4 Creeping Mold
4 Wreak Havoc
4 Seismic Spike
4 Stone Rain
3 Wildfire

Sideboard

1 Wildfire
1 Naturalize
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Savage Twister
3 Carven Caryatid
2 Leyline of Lifeforce

Utopia Sprawls did GREAT, since no one payed attention to them, and when I used Wildfire, I usually got to keep 4 lands, which produced 6 mana! When this happend, most of the times, I simply played another land next turn and destroyed TWO more lands, leaving my opponents mana-less!

3.1.1 Problems

I liked my deck structure a lot, but I could spot 3 MAJOR weaknesses on the Main Deck: Magnivores, which I should have brought four copies; Giant Solifuge, which didn’t quite do the damage I expected them to, ’cause all my burn cards hurt it too; and Seismic Spike, which seemed to burn me more often than it provided me mana to pull another trick.

3.1.2 Solution

I managed to win 3 out of 6 with the deck above, so I guess I COULD probably have made top 12, MAYBE top 8, if the deck looked more like this:

3.1.3 Optimized Musco’s Deck

21 Land

1 Stomping Ground
9 Mountain
11 Forest

1 Instant

1 Char

6 Enchantment

4 Utopia Sprawl
2 Genju of the Spires

9 Creatures

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Magnivore
1 Rumbling Slum

23 Sorcery

4 Pyroclasm
4 Creeping Mold
4 Wreak Havoc
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Stone Rain
3 Wildfire

Sideboard

1 Wildfire
2 Naturalize
2 Giant Solifuge
4 Savage Twister
4 Carven Caryatid
2 Leyline of Lifeforce

This deck structure would give more firepower, and Rumbling Slum survives even Wildfire, so it’s a great addition, sorry I didn’t think of it. Also, this SB would act more like a switchboard, so I could surprise my opponents, after they think they would be playing LD.

3.2 Ritter’s Deck

24 Land

10 Forest
6 Swamp
2 Plains
2 Godless Shrine
2 Orzhov Basilica
2 Selesnya Sanctuary

1 Artifact

1 Loxodon Warhammer

2 Sorceries

2 Vigor Mortis

9 Enchantment

1 Utopia Sprawl
4 Faith’s Fetters
4 Unholy Strength

11 Instants

3 Putrefy
4 Mortify
4 Last Gasp

13 Creatures

1 Hunted Troll
1 Vinelasher Kudzu
2 Sakura Tribe Elder
1 Dark Confidant
4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Silhana Ledgewalker

Sideboard

2 Rolling Spoil
2 Darkblast
2 Holy Day
1 Leyline of the Void
1 Splinter
3 Moldervine Cloak
4 Mourning Thrull

My friend didn’t want to spend A DIME, so the deck above is already weak from my point of view, so I’ll post his opinions on the deck (since he was the one who played it, anyway), and the changes I would have made to it.

3.2.1 Problems
He complained mostly about getting mana-screwed, and not having enough firepower. Also, Hunted Troll didn’t perform that great during playtest, but he insisted in taking it with him. Also, Leyline of the Void was brought as an insurance policy against reanimate decks and Vore, but was simply left untouched at the SB.

3.2.2 Optimized Ritter’s Deck

22 Land

10 Forest
6 Swamp
2 Plains
2 Godless Shrine
2 Orzhov Basilica

2 Artifact

2 Loxodon Warhammer

8 Enchantment

4 Faith’s Fetters
4 Unholy Strength

11 Instants

4 Putrefy
3 Mortify
4 Last Gasp

17 Creatures

4 Sakura Tribe Elder
1 Dark Confidant
4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
4 Mourning Thrull

Sideboard

2 Rolling Spoil
2 Darkblast
2 Holy Day
2 Splinter
3 Sengir Vampire
3 Savannah Lions
1 Golgari Grave Troll

This would give the maind deck more speed, more firepower, life-draining ability and ALSO a transformational sideboard, to a mix of aggro/control.
Oh, by the way, my friend was 2-4, although he won one match for "bye" (since some guys had dropped, the number of players was odd, and when that happens, the last player gets a "free win").
After round 4, though, 4 of the 44 contestants had dropped, and things were back to normal.
Well, I’m posting the T8 decks here in a while, but I can tell you this: the 2 finalists were R/G aggro and a rather different Izzet deck, with the Urzatron and Demonfire, quite nice, actually, who finished in second place. No Ghost Husk at the nationals, at least not from here! Laughing

4. Match-ups

I can’t post my friend’s results, since I don’t know exactly what he played, yet. For me, it was:

Game 1
Lost to an Aura deck, due to lack of damage, and for taking burn for Seismic Spike (those 2 life got me killed later, believe it or not).

Game 2
Beat a Gruul aggro deck, thanks to Carven Caryatid and Savage Twister.

Game 3
Lost to a monogreen deck, again, due to the lack of damage cards, and for taking burn from Seismic Spike twice.

Game 4
Lost to a token/Meloku deck, which had A LOT of counters, Condemn and Simic Skyswallower. I had 43 life, and STILL lost, once SSS hit the table, since everything I tried to pull got countered.

Game 5
Won against a monogreen deck, which used evasion creatures, Might of Oaks and Umezawa’s Jitte, but had a terrible player behind it.

Game 6
Beat ’Owling Mine, actually an easy match. Destroyed every single one of his Islands!!! Twisted Evil
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:09 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Wow! Not a single comment! Sad
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:50 pm
Sorry, this is a bit of a long read, which is probably why people are avoiding it.
Thanks for reporting how your regionals went, so that we can all learn from your experiences. I’m glad to hear you beat so many decks, and that some of your losses could’ve been prevented. Good job!

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest