LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

60%
  [ 6 ]  60%

30%
  [ 3 ]  30%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 10
reggierockz
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:39 am
So you’re talking Site 2 or Site 3?

How can you afford to play minions, as well as enough support area possessions, and spot enough tokens with War Galley, in order to have enough twighlight left to play a FID around Site 2 or Site 3?

By all means, tell me how you can set up that fast, maybe I’m doing something wrong. I could see maybe getting some extra twighlight from Raider Halberdm but still, you’ll need to drop something like this:

War Galley (1), Castamir (7), Marauder (4) or Plunderer (2) plus roaming

Costing you 14-16 twighlight, agreed?

Then, assuming both minions survive, you can blow the Galley for 5 twighlight, meaning you would need to have 2 twighlight left over from the begining, or you would have had to play a Raider Halberd.

Regardless, its going to cost a minimum of 14 twighlight using the Galley, Castamir, and a Plunderer.

To do it any cheaper, you’d have to draw multiple copies of Plunderer or a combination of Marauder and Plunderer. Not to mention, be able to spot a possesion to discard in order to get some tokens with Marauder.

Of course, if the fellowhip was stupid enough to double and give you enough twighlight, or double with minions on the table still, then it is of course definently possible to pull off the combo.

But as far as one turn’s twighligh goes, that early on in the game, I just don’t see the combo happening on a consistant basis. Maybe I’m wrong, but it would take quite an amazing draw (being that you havn’t had time to cycle yet so early in the game) to get the combo off early on.

2 minions, a Galley, and a FID. That’s a lot to consistantly draw first or second turn. Plus, you would have to draw the correct minion combination, meaning you might aslo need a Raider Halberd to get the needed twighlight for the regroup (with out depending on your oponent to give you more post fellowship phase).

Of course other cards like Ships would help spot some more tokens, but again, that’s another card you need to draw and more twighlight you need to use. Play a ships and put two tokens on it. It just breaks even if you plan on using the combo that turn.

And as far as damage plus cards go, most of them are probably going to be possesions. In fact, almost all of them are going to be. With so much possession hate in the deck, I don’t see why that would cause a problem. Maybe Proud and Able, but what good is it if they don’t have any possesions. And there’s always Quelled to deal with conditions anyway.

Just my two cents.
"They have a cave troll."
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:13 pm
add another fierce in despair, you need at least two
Beyo
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:12 pm
One Fierce in Despair is quite enough..this card is only addition to make some surprise on opponent and even one copy of it can come early when you pair corsairs with cycling fellowships:)

For me your article contains not too much strategy depth.
You show only one version of corsairs based on so called "basic " minions.
And what if you don’t have 4 Castamirs?
There are plenty possibilities..you haven’t mentioned nothing about:
corsair archery both with Raider Bows or Ballistas,
cooperation with southrons like Desert Lord, Southron Bandit
extending Castamir by seasoned leader,
massive wounding by Red Wrath and Corsair Brute and so one...
Time in the universe may be eternal..our patience is not
reggierockz
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:35 am
This was meant to be an article about one type of Corsiars format. It was geared to focus on one deck, which happens to be the only tournament viable Corsairs deck (sorry if the title was misleading).

What if you don’t have 4 Castamirs? Get 4. Seriously, in a competative meta, how can you expect to build a high caliber tournament deck with a limited card pool? It like saying, I want to build an Elven Archery deck but I can’t get 4 Elven Bows. You just can’t play the deck then.

Like I said, this article was about one Corsair deck, that being the most effective one. NOT any of the ideas you mentioned. Hand’s down, the basic version of Corsairs that I focused on will dominated in comparison to the different formats you mentioned. Though they might be fun decks, they are in no way going to be "Tier 1" effective against the current top fellowships.

Though this might be a "basic" deck, it’s an effective one.
Beyo-
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:51 am
reggierockz wrote:

What if you don’t have 4 Castamirs? Get 4. Seriously, in a competative meta, how can you expect to build a high caliber tournament deck with a limited card pool? It like saying, I want to build an Elven Archery deck but I can’t get 4 Elven Bows. You just can’t play the deck then.

I disagree..game is always won by player not by cards.
And you forgot Elven Bow is common.
And seriously with competitve meta if every player will build such deck what advantage will you have?
My advice is..if you dont have 4 castamirs use 2 and choose another strategy. I am bored hearing about "one and only" winning strategies.

Quote:

Like I said, this article was about one Corsair deck, that being the most effective one. NOT any of the ideas you mentioned. Hand’s down, the basic version of Corsairs that I focused on will dominated in comparison to the different formats you mentioned. Though they might be fun decks, they are in no way going to be "Tier 1" effective against the current top fellowships.

As I said..I am bored with so called Tier1 deck..and definitely Seasoned Leader and Corsair Brute are not fun cards.
If you title your article "deeper look" you have obligation to write everything about such deck not about this one which is known for 2 years.

And remeber..efectiveness is relative term.
reggierockz
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:26 am
Whatever man, I’m not going to argue with you. The Corsairs deck that has been around for two years, will whipe the floor with any of the strategies you talked about. Honestly, if you can’t get 4 copies of a rare, then TCGs of CCGs are not for you. It is moronic to not use 4 copies of a brutal card simply becuase you don’t have them. Games are won by the player, not the cards, huh? Then why not use 0 Castamirs? Heck, why even play Marauder, or Numenoerean, or Ships, I mean after all, they are rares. I have four, wow, I traded for them, and bought a foil one online for $7.00, that was easy. So you’re bored with the typical build. Good for you, I’m not, it’s fun and it’s effective. Sorry my article didn’t cover obsolete Corsair builds and strategies, my bad. Well, I’m starting to argue, now I’m wasting my time. Do you see any of the builds you talked about placing in the top 8 of major competative tournaments? No. Do you see typical Corsair builds doing so? Yes. Without 4 Castamirs? No. Alright, I’m done, have fun argueing if you want.
Beyo-
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:47 pm
Yes...you can build corsair deck without any castamir, i have one marauder and one numenorean..it is much funner to play with cards what I have than to be frustrating of not having some deadly combo..
You really didnt get my point of view. I suggest read carefully once again and stop trying to be too clever...If you cannot write some about other strategy this means you have no imagination and Article Contest and whole CCG is not for you.Razz

And besides remember and write it above your bed...Cards don’t play without player.
And for me if someone cannot build deck from cheap cards..is not player at all.
I should give you 1 for this article because unfortunately Connor haven’t implemented minus points. Shame on you
Cobra
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:26 pm
As others have said, you do a very good job of laying out "the" Corsair deck and explaining why it works so well.

If you believe that the standard, well-known Corsair deck is still the best version, that’s totally fine; just realize that some readers will look this strategy article over and find nothing that they didn’t already know. So it’s good to try and offer something fresh -- even if your personal decklist is unchanged, there’s always a trend in the versions played by others, or in the Free Peoples decks you’ll go up against, that could make interesting reading for the more advanced players.

Very nice article, 4 stars from me. (Even though it’s too late... I was a slacker last month. Shhh )
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
maxidoodle
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:00 pm
That was a great article. I liked how you structured it and gave in-depth startegies that are used by Corsair builds. However, 4 Castamirs is good, but 3 should suffice. After all, how often are you going to get one out, and plus, you’ll be using Ships of Great Draught as well.

other wise, good job. I’d like to see your decklist for the 4x Fierce in Despair deck though

Mr. Green

4/5
My deck of doom:
One Combo to Rule them All

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
han_feizi
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:23 am
I have a big problem with valuating this article.

It is about a deck which has won countless games and is, definately, a TierI deck (shadow side). For advanced players there should be more detailed information e.g. on fp strategies that can cope with ’the’ Corsairs. For begining players there should be more information on how exactly play with this deck (e.g. which cards should be played via tokens and when).

This article is good-written, but I’ve read many good articles on ’the’ Corsairs and I’ve lost too many games to ’the’ Corsairs to be really interested in it. What I was looking for in the article was some reflections on meta-structure of current LotR - condition- and possession-removals, matching-ups and so on.

Overall, I think the whole idea of this column is to tell us how to play LotR better and to teach us something about the game. This article have’t taught me anything, but there are people who seem to enjoy it so, obviously, reading this article was useful for some of us.

One comment on Beyo’s remark. LotR is definatley a game which is developed to be played Shocked and cards are to be collected Idea . But the most important thing is to have fun with what you do. For some people winning with an opponent is extremely joyful, for others inventing new ideas based on restricted amount of cards is equally joyful. Those two kind of LotR-fans probably don’t play with each other, but thay can at least talk about they beloved CCG. There’s no point in quarrelling. Peace

PS
I’ll give this article 3/5.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest