LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:43 pm
--- description ---
Among the hustle and bustle of the new cultures and keywords, many of the older cultures were nearly forgotten; this article shows how take the good old Isengard Uruks and decimate your opponent’s fellowship.
--- end description ---

In the early years of the LOTR TCG, players raved about the Isengard culture. It was considered by many to be the best that their was. Then, with the arrivals of new keywords, such as lurker and muster, Isengard dropped out of the sights of many players. Then three new cultures came onto the scene: Orc, Men, and Uruk-hai. The popularity of Men archery quickly stepped into the limelight; the great minions in the Orc culture also came to the forefront. Even the Uruk-hai culture was appreciated and was quickly put into decks by many veteran players. But one culture that can still pack a punch is, without a doubt, Isengard. The good old White Hand of Saruman in the top right corner of those cards is a sight for sore eyes amid the popularity of the new cultures. This article will give the plans for a deck that can do just as a good a job, if not better, at destroying your opponent’s fellowship than the new cultures.

The cornerstone of this deck is definitely Saruman, Master of Foul Folk. His exert to get an Isengard possession back into hand from the discard pile is killer when you are running an Isengard damage +1 Uruk-hai swarm. Lurtz, Servant of Isengard is an archer and damage +1, not to mention a 13 strength. Pumped with We Are The Fighting Uruk-hai and Uruk-hai Sword, he is a 17 strength! Uruk Rear Guard is a great choice simply because he has 4 vitality and is damage +1.

Uruk Assault Band is another highlight of this deck; already a 14 strength and damage +1, if you control a battleground it makes it a 20 strength! And pumped with Uruk-hai Sword and We Are The Fighting Uruk-hai, it is a 24 strength! Lieutenant of Orthanc is a great card to use because of his exert to make another Uruk fierce ability, especially if you use the ability of Uruk Assault Band.

Uruk Vanguard is another good choice simply because of its high strength, but the 10 twilight cost is a little expensive; there is the upside however; if at a battleground, it is damage +2. Tower of Orthanc is a great condition to play later in the game to add some twilight tokens so that you can play your final Uruks.

To get some healing for your Uruks, go with Uruk Shaman. For some pumping to boost your Uruks’ strengths even higher, I choose Bred For Battle, which works best with the high vitality Uruks, such as Uruk Rear Guard. Lurtz’s Battle Cry is another great card to use with a high strength Uruk, since it will not lose much from being strength -1; gaining an extra damage +1 could also be crucial in sealing up the game. Under the best of circumstances, if you were at a battleground and Uruk Vanguard was in play, it would damage +3 and a 16 strength if you used Lurtz’s Battle Cry. Still They Came is also good to use if you have any unassigned Uruk-hai. A risky but useful card to put wounds on companions is Devilry of Orthanc, which is even better to play if your opponent’s fellowship has lots of companions in play.

Using these cards, this is the deck.

Minions (16)
4x Saruman, Master of Foul Folk
2x Lurtz, Servant of Isengard
2x Uruk Rear Guard
2x Uruk Assault Band
2x Lieutenant of Orthanc
2x Uruk Vanguard
2x Uruk Shaman

Conditions and Events (15)
4x We Are The Fighting Uruk-hai
4x Bred For Battle
4x Lurtz’s Battle Cry
1x Tower of Orthanc
1x Devilry of Orthanc
1x Still They Came

Possessions (4)
4x Uruk-hai Sword

Total (35)

Start off by playing Saruman, Master of Foul Folk. Follow up with some high strength Uruks: Uruk Assault Band or Lurtz, Servant of Isengard would be great. Use your Uruk-hai Sword, and use Saruman’s ability to get them out of the discard pile. Toward the middle of the game, play Uruk Shaman to get some healing. If things are shaping up well, play Devilry of Orthanc or Tower of Orthanc. Don’t forget We Are The Fighting Uruk-hai and Bred For Battle to get some strength boosts. Use your Lurtz’s Battle Cry to get some damage bonuses, and don’t forget Uruk Vanguard combined with Lurtz’s Battle Cry and a battleground to have a damage +3 minion.

Strengths: The strengths of this deck are obvious; the minions have very high strength, and most have a damage ability. Using your pumps at the right time, bringing down your opponent’s fellowship will be quite easy. Using Saruman’s ability, your Uruk Sword will continually be in use and your minions will prevail. This deck will succeed best against twilight-providing decks, such as Gondor, Gandalf, Gollum, and Elven.

Weaknesses: This deck is susceptible to FP decks that provide very little twilight, because it will make playing minions very difficult. This deck will most likely lose to skillfully played Shire, Dwarven, and Rohan decks.
Watch out for cards that exert or discard Isengard minions.

Thank you for reading. Very Happy
Last edited by Anonymous Prodigy on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in totalI had to put something here.
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:48 pm
Think hmmmmm........looks good, i think you should add a couple of "berzerkers" their fairly cheap, and amazingly strong, thats just what i would do tho, Mr. Green
Pipeweed
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:51 pm
IMO, Uruk swarm is one of the most fun decks to play, but it is even more powerful with the new Uruks. One of my favorite combos is this:

Brawling Uruk x4
Vigilant Uruk x4
Swarming Uruk x4
Intimidating Uruk x4
Lookout Uruk x4

Instant death Wink and paired with some of the old-school Uruk Regulars and some captains, etc, you have a great deck Very Happy. This looks like it could have some potential, and I will read it in more detail later and then vote.
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:53 pm
I know that the berserkers are very powerful, but I chose to stick with Uruks that I though worked really well together; I decided that randomly throwing in a couple of berserkers wouldn’t be the best thing to do. Thanks for the comments and suggestions! Very Happy
I had to put something here.
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:54 pm
that is a great combo, it thought about building a deck around that but then i realized, "hey, who needs uruk-hai when you have trolls? their stronger and cooler lookin!" Mr. Green
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:11 pm
And they have higher twilight costs..... Wink
I had to put something here.
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:49 pm
they have so much raw physical strength that its worth it! Twisted Evil
Pipeweed
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:52 pm
Yeah, but that doesn’t make em invincible. This thread is getting off topic. Nice article, I’ll give it a three. One reason I’m only giving it a three is because it is a fairly simple deck to build and conceptualize, but it also looks like it has a good chance of winning some games. The only other reason is because of the number of fellowships that could easily smother this shadow side and then run. Good Job though Very Happy
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:54 pm
it is a very simple deck, but it is effective as well
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:32 am
I liked your article, your deck list was good, the beginning, As in listing cards was O.K.
One Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
One thing to bring them all
And In the darkness bind them

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest