LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

42%
  [ 3 ]  42%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:46 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Nice article, I like Sauron wounds A LOT! Some things are missing from your build, though, like: Under the Watching Eye is a nice card, yes, but it "forces" you to use trackers and prevents you from using Hate, which as INFINITELY better, in my opinion. Some "direct" ideas foryour build:
1 - Drop Under the Watching Eye and use Orc Bowmen (see below for the explanation);
2 - Raise the number of Hate to 4;
3 - Since you dropped Under the Watching Eye, drop Orc Assassin and Orc Ambusher, and raise the number of Orc Soldiers (this is the explanation, lowers your minion count, making room for other cards);
4 - If you want to use The Eye of Sauron, add in Thin and Stretched. Otherwise, drop it;
5 - I don’t see why using Dead Marshes, but maybe I’mmissing something
6 - Threats work wonders on this deck, but I’m not sure you can add enough with only Mordor Defender and Mordor Regular. Maybe you could consider using some Gollum and that Gollum card that adds 9 threats ’till the end of the turn (forgot the name, could someone write it?) as a finisher, to be played only when you were SURE you would kill a companion;
7 - Don’t know if this is going to help, but you might consider using Morgul Slayer. Your opponent will most likely assign him to a stronger companion to win the skirmish, and combined with Orc Cutthroat it make for a nice combo. Also, means another way of using Hate and not regreting it...
8 - Splash in Orc Overseer, from Realms of the Elf Lords, if you think it’s worth it (I did it when playing FoTR block, and it did GREAT, but I’m not sure if he can surviveskirmishes nowadays to still beable to activate his ability);
9 - Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul is a GREAT card to combine with this deck, since big Fellowships will hurt it A LOT!;
I really liked to see this idea being "brought back to life" again, congratulations on the article! Hope my ideas helped a bit...
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:58 am
Felipe Musco wrote:
Under the Watching Eye is a nice card, yes, but it "forces" you to use trackers and prevents you from using Hate, which as INFINITELY better, in my opinion.

I think you’ve lost it, Felipe. Laughing

Under the Watching eye is money! GP There’s no problem with having to use trackers in this deck, because several of those minions have their own exert-to-wound ability. And UTWE certainly doesn’t prevent you from using Hate. Sometimes you might have to keep a Hate in hand so can exert for other things, but that’s often the best way to play Hate anyway -- wait until the late game and play 2 or even 3 at once!

I think we all agree that if the budget allows, a Sauron Grind deck should have 4x Hate and 4x Orc Bowmen, but IMO it should have 4X Under the Watching Eye too, and something else should be dropped.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:03 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Yeah, I was thinking about that, and I DID use UTWE, too, when I played FotR block, ’cause I had to use the small trackers, since I couldn’t use Orc Cutthroat...
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
well, i will add a second, perhaps more costly decklist to the article for players who want to go the extra buck. and then i will add an approx. cost for the cheap and the not-so-cheap deck... like i said earlier, felipe, i wanted to keep the deck pure Sauron although i did mention how other cultures might work well. What cards should i take our for more hate and orc bowmen? eye of sauron is out... just an interesting card for the cheaper decklist... With you bring great evil on the ring-bearer burdens can pile on pretty fast.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:22 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Felipe Musco wrote:

6 - Threats work wonders on this deck, but I’m not sure you can add enough with only Mordor Defender and Mordor Regular. Maybe you could consider using some Gollum and that Gollum card that adds 9 threats ’till the end of the turn (forgot the name, could someone write it?) as a finisher, to be played only when you were SURE you would kill a companion;

Plotting. SWEET card! Very Happy You do have to spot Gollum.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:03 pm
Okay, i have made some heavy edits, anyone who hasn’t voted, please vote now! Anyone who has already voted, tell me whatcha think! Thanks!
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:15 pm
First of all, you’ve got a typo in your article, where you’re talking about splash minions: it should be "Caradhras Has not forgiven us", not "Cahadras Has Not Forgiven Us". I know it sounds like the latter, but it is the former.

Regarding those splash minions...I felt that that section was artificial and tacked-on. It was almost as if you said "Okay, here’s some other stuff you can do, by the way.", especially because your decks didn’t use them at all. Cut it out of the article, and focus on Sauron, or give them a bigger role in the article.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:19 pm
okay. it was just something i felt people would dislike if i EXCLUDED from the article. i will change it.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:27 pm
You don’t have to take it out; I’d just like it combined better into the article.
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:28 pm
grrr. you might have said...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest