LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
33%
  [ 2 ]  33%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

50%
  [ 3 ]  50%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:10 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I’m not exactly sure that the article’s from Decipher...here’s a link to the Refuge article I found.
http://lotrtcg.fanhq.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ID=1072
Read it and decide for yourself. I don’t think the article was copied, but the decklist is Reed’s, and the same as the one in this article.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
maxidoodle
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:29 pm
This article was not copied, I can guarantee you that. Wink

And the decklist is NOT the same as Reed’s. It has key differences that make it much different, especially in the overall strategy. I wrote this article based on several games that I tested it in, and from gameplay tips that i have picked up from my friends since i started playing in 2002.

Look, I don’t care if you disqualify this article and whatnot. I just wanted to give this contest a shot. Just don’t call me a plagiariser. Wink
Cobra
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:24 pm
I’m going to allow this article to stay in the contest, because 1) I think it’s different enough from Reed’s version, and 2) there’s a lot of good, original content in the strategy section.

However, I would ask that you rewrite the opening paragraphs. It’s not OK to borrow an existing deck and then announce it as your own invention. (You may not have intended that effect, but that’s how it reads.) What does work is to acknowledge that the deck already exists, and give people some reason to read it besides originality. For example, "There’s this new LOTR TCG decktype going around -- here’s my version, and I’ll explain why it’s better than the rest!"

And, be honest... if you read Reed’s article before writing this, please acknowledge him specifically. Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
maxidoodle
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:18 pm
Ok, I’ll try to give all credit due where I must. Sorry if this read like it was copied, because I did spend a good amount of time testing and editing the deck and writing the article. I would’ve written a ninja gollum article that my friend and I came up with, but I was beat to it. d'oh! Oh well, maybe something else will spark in my mind that absolutely owns. If I choose to do so, I could re-write my entire article based on a different dekc, should it ever come up, right? I’ve been experimenting with various strategies and I have a gut feeling something’s going to come up that I have to write an article about. Wink

To be honest, I did look at Reed’s decklist, but I never actually read the article until after I wrote this. Everything I’ve written in the article is my thoughts, except for the decklist in part, which was based on Reed’s.
My deck of doom:
One Combo to Rule them All

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
PorterTroll
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:06 am
i can vouch for maxidoodle when he says he designed this deck w/o copying, he made it with his own ideas, he may have read reed’s deck to get an idea of how the refuge deck should be played but i guarantee you the main portion of this deck is his own creation. if having a similar deck as someone else is plagiarism then i guess everyone who plays evil men archery, forest nazzies, demoralized swarm, or uruk-hai swarm is plagiarising and copying their deck. just because his deck is similar to another deck does not mean that it is copied.
Last edited by PorterTroll on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 am
maxidoodle wrote:
If I choose to do so, I could re-write my entire article based on a different deck, should it ever come up, right?

If you mean editing the existing article to make it something completely different, no, don’t do that.

But if you do come up with another idea for an LOTR TCG strategy article, there’s no reason why you can’t have more than one contest entry. Wink
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:19 am
With Gandalf and Saved From the Fire It isn’t so bad, and I just noticed that Gandalf doesn’t die if Sent Back is discarded. I am working on a gandalf-elf deck right now, and am crossing my fingers.

But seriously original ideas are the very best, even if they are very rare, look at the monthly contest winners and you’ll see that. I am in no way implying that your article was copied, far from it, but the simple fact that it has been written about before kind of makes it ’old news’.

I know things that haven’t been written about before are hard to find, but they are as good as gold in these contests.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
BearerOfWisdom
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:55 pm
First the Good- Focusing on a card that is not used too often or is thought to be overlooked is an awesome way to strategize on a deck. Also, you seem well thought out on this.
The Bad- Like someone else already stated, you admitted to regurgitating someone elses idea. I have done this myself but only to see what it was like to play a deck similar to it. Also the article isn’t overly specific on what companions are the expendable ones (although by looking at it I assume the strategy is all based upon what your opponent is playing)
Noteworthy- NO CYCLED OUT OR BANNED CARDS!!! This is on my ’to build’ list as far as decks to construct. Not this deck particular but the idea. I still am using cycled out cards for my decks (even the article I just posted). Other than that rock on----
I tend to use Gandalf alot. There isn't any other character in the game as useful or powerful. I also focus on decks that work together free people and minion.
SnowBalrog
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:44 am
Joined: 26 Sep 2005 Posts: 63 Location: St. Louis, Missouri
I don’t really care that it’s been done before... I really enjoyed the read and I think it was presented and explained very well. You get a 5 from me.
Marcus: Our Snow Balrog would be a lot more impressive if it didn't keep melting.
Jason: Maybe if we used a little less lighter fluid...?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:11 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I do care especially if ti is really similar in thsi article I hadno clue it had been done before and it didn’t matter btu for articles like kill bill...
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest