LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:42 pm
Yeah.... unless you have the "engine" assembled fully, the one-drops aren’t really going to help against scab-clan maulers etc.

I think swapping four one-drops for four dark confidants, for example, could be very nice.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:42 pm
Okay, so what you’re saying is we already have a lot of mana, it wouldn’t hurt to cut a 1-drop, and we need more card drawing.
As was brought up earlier in this discussion, the mana curve is pretty damn low, so I think that going -4 Llanowar Elves (since we’re good on mana) +4 Dark Confidant (since we’re low on card drawing and we have a low mana curve) would be good for the deck.
That would end up giving us another 2-drop, which is good for the curve, give us a total of 8 card-drawing (Dark Confidant and Carven Caryatid), a little more speed, and hey, if our life is hurting we can always bounce Bob with Cloudstone Curio. I like it.
-4 Llanowar Elves
+4 Dark Confidant
Discuss.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:19 pm
Well, there really hasn’t been any activity on the forums in a solid week (The First excluded), so I’m going to have to take what I can get when it comes to any more input from you guys.

I have considered all of the comments you guys have made, and I have made the changes that make the most sense to me. Thank you for the help, I think the deck is better for it.

At this point I would appreciate some honest votes from you guys. I promise to accept whatever ratings I get, on the basis that I trust that you guys respect me as much as I respect you. This is not an admonishment; I’m not let down by you guys, but please somebody rate something.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:19 pm
Sorry, I’ve been out of town a large part of this summer or I would be posting more.

Um... voting. I usually like voting at the end of the month, so I can make a differentiation between articles. I tend to make it more of a rating the articles so I give the best one (as I see it) the most points, with the worst one (as I see it) the least points. Sometimes, for my voting, an article might change a point up or down depending on the month. For example, if there are three dynamite articles one month, a simple good one would do worse than if there’s only one better than it. That means I need to be able to see all the articles to know, and that means waiting for the end of the month.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 pm
Thanks a bunch Grail, that’s just the reply I wanted to see Wink
I understand that everybody has lives outside of CobraCards, I was just worried that I would go another month with no voting Rolling Eyes
Have fun on your travels!
"Not again" -Hans
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:48 pm
cough cough... life outside cobracards? what in the world could you be talking about Wink
The First
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:52 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Looks like a cool combo once it is set up. However, it is not easy to set up. I even wonder if you could set it up in a consistent manner. Combo decks tend to test on this. Against what turn can I set up my combo and what do I need for this to happen. Once the combo is set up, how many turns will it take to win...

A few questions you need to ask yourself are:

1) does my deck win "often/sometimes/not at all" and against what kind of decks does it win/lose the most. Can I somehow correct it...
2) is your deck consistant? Does it win/lose once certain cards come out? Around a certain turn...
3) how do I solve the above problems.

You mention that your main strat against aggro is block as much as possible. Is this a viable strategy? Does this actually work? Can you eventually get the upper hand?

It is very difficult to review a deck like this one. The combo sounds good but it is hard to set up - or at least that’s what I think.

I would probably try to get the main pieces out in a consistent manner. But what are those main pieces? What cards make you win the most? The Marsh and the Curio? You could try to include blue and transmute for them... Or use dredge (gets creatures in the graveyard for your Marsh) and reclaim what you need (Marsh/Curio).

Or use Gifts Ungiven + Reclaim / Recollect.

All those suggestions will make big changes to your deck though and probably alter it into some direction. Testing it on a KISS testbench and focus on your key cards would be a good start if you want to make it better. My experience tells me that it isn’t wise to make big alterations to an existing deck, but better start from scratch and try again.

- The First
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:43 pm
I agree that right now the combo doesn’t come out as quickly as it can, but the reason I’ve decided to build this deck around it is because you don’t need the whole combo out to do crazy things. Golgari Germination means more creatures for Thoughtpicker Witch or Plagued Rusalka. Cloudstone Curio means repeatable card drawing through Carven Caryatid. Bloodbond March means sacrificing abilities get a major boost. Thoughtpicker Witch alone can easily keep an opponent drawing land (unless that’s what they need) for 4 or 5 turns, while its fodder keep their early drops at bay.

TheFirst, to answer your (my?) questions:
1) I’d say somewhere between sometimes and often. This is, keeping in mind, in casual games. I have no delusions about taking this deck and sweeping a tournament; that’s not my goal yet. It loses the most to my friend’s G/W token deck, which is when I sideboard in Crime / Punishment (well, in reality, I only have one Rolling Eyes ) at which point it gets much better.

2) Again, the combo isn’t consistant very much at all. The individual synergies are showcased in every single game, barring mana screw. It loses against counter-control, since these synergies rely on getting out a Cloudstone Curio, Bloodbond March, or Golgari Germination. This is nothing special, and the only solution I can see is sneaking in a Defense Grid to slow them down. Leyline of Lifeforce could help, but I don’t see it being worth it.

3) The answers I see to this problem all involve drastically changing the core of the deck, and I just don’t want to. I want this deck to remain firmly in a casual slot, so any changes I make here won’t translate into real world testing. I may come back later and feel up to it, but I’m just tired of defending this casual deck against the same criticisms that I’d expect of a tournament deck. It’s true I want to make it better, but, as you’ve noted, starting from scratch is the only way to answer all of these problems at once.

The aggro strategy works half of the time, but in my metagame the aggro deck is a G/R Zoo deck built to showcase Killer Instinct, and a monogreen deck with Rhox and Thorn Elemental. The Zoo deck is easy enough to chump against, but the Rhox kills me outright.

What I would like you guys to keep in mind while rating this article is that the point was not to make a killer deck. I’m not in that business right now, since I’m not very invested in MTG at the moment. I may be in the future, but not now. The purpose of this article is to show how synergies can make seemingly unplayable rares fit very well. I want to see more and more "testing the waters" on this forum, and less "that card sucks because it’s never seen T8". This kind of criticism does more harm to a deckbuilder than good, as it teaches him/her to all but ignore any card that hasn’t seen tournament play. If everybody thought like this, it’s obvious to see the fun aspect of Magic disappearing entirely and nothing new would be discovered. No thank you.

Thanks for listening to my little rant. If I stepped on any toes, I’m sure I’ll get smacked for it in the ratings, but I’m at the point of not caring very much about the ratings anymore d'oh!
Can’t we all just have some fun?
"Not again" -Hans
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:56 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Applause Homage
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Fun sounds good! I like rating articles labeled as casual by creativity and interesting thoughts/combos, only doing ratings by raw power when there’s a tourney-style deck. Also, I look at the writing! And I’ve only given a one once to a single article. It was a paragraph about a combo some guy who only ever got like 1-2 posts wrote about a five card combo that was bad and had no deck to go with it.

Long story short, don’t worry- I don’t give people bad ratings unless they deserve it.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest