LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:40 pm
By the time you’ve gone through your entire deck, you’ve burned them for twenty, I would hope.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 pm
True, if you’ve gone through your entire deck, you would’ve burned them for twenty... IF they don’t have removal for Niv-Mizzet. I don’t think it’s too far-fetched to suggest that some games will go by where you Mindmoil through your entire deck and you haven’t killed them yet. You will need to keep on going until you find that way to come out on top, whether it’s desperately burning them as much as possible or looking for that Nexus that you passed up the first time by.
It’s worth thinking about, eh?
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:53 pm
But then you use moil and find another mizzet Very Happy
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:12 pm
I’m saying what if they’ve killed/rfg/stolen all 3 or your Niv-Mizzets? I know I know you’ll say "but then you’ve lost anyway", but you still have a chance if you play your deck right. Just be smart about how you Mindmoil, and try to get your Mizzets back from the grave/their side of the board by using Nexus (grave) or burning him and then Nexus (if they’ve stolen).
Again, this won’t happen every game, but with only 3x Niv-Mizzet, you have to be prepared if they answer him every time.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:15 pm
Well, I’m gonna go there. But then you’ve already lost! The only logical way they can eliminate all mizzets is cranial, which removes them from the game. I really don’t think it’s going to help much.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:33 pm
The only logical way? What about Mortify, Putrefy, mill, Cytoshape, various burn, Cruel Edict, or any other number of things that aren’t Cranial Extraction? My point is, if you get into the long-game, it’s possible that you will play out, or get milled out of, your Niv-Mizzets, and they may use any of these popular methods to kill or steal him, and then you’re sitting there wishing you had listened to Brian and put more thought into stacking your deck Wink.
Anyhow, back to the deck, I think it’s at a good place. I still think the Urzatron is fragile without some kind of improved chance of drawing (I know you have lots of regular draw, but this is too random for my tastes), so the Top would be the only improvement I can see.
Edit: Scratch that. I’d like to see Train of Thought over Tidings, as it is scalable (good if you are desperate for 1, good if it’s late-game and you have the Tron running with 5 blue Mr. Green), and I like flexibility over slightly more efficiency. Thoughts?
"Not again" -Hans
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:53 pm
yeah, the only logical way to get rid of them ALL. A putrefy etc. may be a good one time shot, but usually they won’t draw enough to kill all mizzets in a game. Putrefy is good spot removal, but the only way to logically get them ALL is cranial.
The First
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:06 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
IMO this deck is very fragile. You need both the Firemind out and Mindmoil to accomplish your goal; winning the game.

The list of cards able to deal with Niv-Mizzet seems endless. You could protect him with something like Shielding Plax or counterspells but that would even require more turns and thus keeping you alive for a longer time. That’s why WUR is such a powerful combo;

white to gain life, sweep, keep you alive...
blue for its strong spells and control
red for chaos and fun

If you have the patience to wait for Coldsnap, then you could add those nasty ripple cards and add those + some extra cycling control with Telling Time and other cantrips. If you’re able to get some ripples toghether and cycle them back in your deck, that might be very potent. Still need to think about some of those issues though Wink
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:09 pm
Good to see you back! I must say, you bring up osme good points, but you don’t need moil to win, really. All you need is enough draw power to kill off all the little creatures and stall until you do get a moil etc., which isn’t too hard with tidings, lyze, mizzet, and more.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:13 pm
So what do you plan to do to protect Mizzet? Something like Shielding Plax, as The First said, would be good, and has a built-in cantrip too, so it’s synergistic with him already. Any response to the Train of Thought idea?
"Not again" -Hans

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest