LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Yeah, seems I messed up greatly in the Red part... Stil not editing, though, as you guys commented about it, so that the posts maintan sense!
And thanks a lot for taking all that time to read through it, hope you liked this type of Article! And I SURELY like the Burn Deck... Specially if combined with Seething Song and good old Mana Flare! Pretty nice!!!!
Edit: awarded Brian Boitano and La_Sin_Grail 1 gp for the analysis! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:44 pm
Actually, looking back, it seems that this thread supports this very exciting idea:
Old, mono-color throwback archetypes might be coming back!

White Weenie has all of the exciting mass-pumping, it has its White Knight slot, it has repeatable life gain for stalling, and it has some fatties/win conditions too.

Green Beats never really went away, but also got a boost with Coldsnap, what with the cheap fatties, Allosaurus Riders, and some trickery to be had with Cumulative Upkeep cards (End of Hibernation is disputably playable)

Red Burn, as we’ve discussed, got tricks, repeatable burn, decent creatures (including a Ball Lightning replacement), not to mention another Dragon for flavor.

Blue Control, as it has more repeatable control with Heidar and some of its old Tinker Tricks (TM) with Arcum Dagsson (granted they are nerfed, still intriguing), a Daring Apprentice wannabe (Martyr of Frost), and a card just waiting to be broken, Counterbalance.

And finally Black has its super-neutered Necro replacement Phyrexian Etchings, a decent 3-drop creature in Phobian Phantasm, Krovikan Rot, one of the sweetest dual-purpose hosers for sideboard (Verdant Force, Darien, and Juniper Order Ranger, meet Deathmark!), and the only snow landwalk creature in Zombie Musher.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:19 pm
yeah, I’ve been thinking that mono decks are coming back, but I think it will take Ravnica rotating out for that to become winnishly good again...
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:28 pm
I don’t know... Sure, Ravnica opens A LOT of possibilities, and having a multi-colored deck SURELY means having a more "complete" deck. However, we may see some mono-colored metagame explorers sooner than we thought. Even in standard.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:39 pm
Yeah... but with the duals and such, the question remains. Why wouldn’t you splash? And I don’t think while Rav and pains are still in, there’s a reason good enough.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:51 pm
Unless you want to use a lot of cards with Snow in their costs... But I don’t see this as reason enough. Although I’m tweaking that Amazon Rainforest deck of mine (btw, GREAT quote on this one, I loved it! Did you do it, Grail? Or it was Cobra?) to make it G/W, with Glacial Plating (now, this card’s just MEAN), so I’d not use duals, only Snow Lands. But I don’t see this happeningwith a lot of other decks... Think
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 pm
Quote..? Probably Cobra lol.

I’m still not sold on glacial plating. It doesn’t do anything it’s first turn in play and isn’t better than a moldervine cloak until it’s on it’s third turn, at which point you’ve spent seven mana on it. It’s only worth it starting it’s fourth turn (and beyond) out, which is a little too late for my taste.

Snow lands, too, they do look good.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:09 pm
Grail, you’re right about Glacial Plating, it is way too slow for constructed. The only circumstances where it would be better than Moldervine cloak is in a U/W control where the G just isn’t there for Moldervine and some kind of board lock would allow those three turns to pass quickly, OR in limited. It still is a bomb in limited, since games go longer, 2 snow mana is not very difficult to come by (I say this from experience at the prere), and Moldervine Cloak isn’t IN Coldsnap, so you can’t expect to get that in that environment.
On Monocolor over splashing, I still think that there will be SOME decks that would prefer 10x 4-ofs of only one color than splashing, even with the very splashable spells out there now.
Not saying Monocolor will be more prevalent, just that it is very feasable and playable now.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:34 pm
Bah, stupid snow lands, looks like I’ve got another little symbol to add to the site... Laughing

Felipe, I like this article very much -- it needed to be done, and you did it quite well! In fact I would probably give it five stars except for a few significant flaws already mentioned. As it is, you get a solid 4 from me.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:22 pm
Thanks, Cobra, this article was really fun writing! It’s nice to break the patterns sometimes, I think I may start doing more stuff like this, discussing plain, simple strategy, suggesting some combos, rather then giving away a set decklist. Although, I must say I expected more articles involving Coldsnap to pop up after this, but I’m working on one, a mono-blue beats! Twisted Evil
And about the flaws, as I said, I don’t think its fair to correct them, since the guys did not merely pointed them out, but suggested other ways of using the cards where I went in the wrong direction, so I think it’s a way of raising THEIR posts’ value, also. After all, I learned a lot from the feedback I received, as well as I’m sure they might have learned something from what I’ve written, so it would be only fair to require new readers to read through the replies, too, after all, we don’t have that much spam ’round here anyway, it’s an easy read. Laughing
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest