LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
physcosick
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:49 am
The things I say here are strictly to help you out, it’s not for any personal reasons... I could have just as easily not have wasted my time since I’m lazy in the first place Wink I’m going to give you some of my problems (they are not really problems as much as they are nit picking) with the article in relation to a slightly different perspective, besides the fact that I don’t like (for use of a better term) Coldsnap.

First is that you didn’t mention Juton Grunt’s potential impact in extended and legacy (and possibly vintage depending on your meta). With stuff like aggro loam, psychatog, ichorid, threshold Confused etc, etc, there is no such thing as a draw back... you get a 4/4 guy for 2 mana that swings in for damage and completely wreaks your opponent’s plan and if timed right, is practically an auto loss against some decks. If you can sneak it through the counters, psychatog player’s can only bounce so much (but they may be able to work around it) ... you’ll get roughly 12 damage or so in with him before he might disappear from the field

Also as I look through the article a little more, you say Martyr of Sands (as well as Sun’s Bounty) is a "must for weenies". Realistically, a weenie or aggro deck is supposed to hit hard. I’d much rather have a turn one savannah lions, isamura, hound of konda or even a seal of fire. Martyr of Sands will essential waste two turns just to gain some life, and life gain isn’t important to an aggro player. The goal is to rush and kill your opponent before you kill them, and you do that by not wasting time with your life and spend all your time worried about theirs. That said i dont see where this card fits. In BW, they tend to be rather black heavy unless the deck is Ghost Dad, but hand in hand and BW aggro are usually black heavy, the only white cards being Paladin en-vec, mortify, castigate, and maybe one or two that I cant think of off hand. RW is another white aggro deck but that deck usually runs the 20-20-20 method (20 lands, 20 creatures, 20 other spells... mostly burn). There are a lot of white cards avialable to reveal but like I said before, your aggro. Your objective with this is to beat control by rushing with creatures and get in as much damage before they wrath of god or some other form of mass removal. Than by that point, they should be in burn damage territory. You have no time to waste against control, combo, or other aggro match-ups.

Perilous research + Hacthing Plans = janky 2 card combo to draw for 4 mana to draw... 5 cards... sort of glad you didn’t metnion it but I figured i’d might as well Rolling Eyes

Saying Braids of fire is "one of the best cards ever" is a little much.... but the enthusiasm is good....

One perk you may or may not have thought about with Blizzard Specter is that it doesn’t target, so you can bounce things like kodama of the north tree, simic sky swallower.... assuming it doesn’t block, or any creature with a Shielding Plax on it, but that doesn’t see much play.

But it doesn’t really matter now... since I’m 4 hours late to vote... I’m not sure what I’d give you, I havent thought about it. Overall it was a good summary of the set and I’m sure it will be useful to some people out their that actually care about coldsnap Laughing but I just saw those couple things and figured you might benefit from learning about that or, if you already new and just spaced on it or something, you could remember for upcoming articles. Hopefully I dont rub off as being a jerk here.... But yeah, good job. Hopefully, the next time you do a set review like this, you will get to do a really awesome set... of course i have high expectations for time Spiral and I will be severly dissappointed if I am incorrect
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:33 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Well, if you check LSG’s and BB’s responses to Braid of Fire, you’ll see I made a mistake, so yeah, it’s a nice card and all, but not THAT great...

You’re absolutely right about Blizzard Specter, I visualized it working this way, but since I wrote the article in one single afternoon I had some free time, I guess it slipped through without that mention, thanks for pointing it out! Very Happy

Martyr of Sands, as I said, would be nice to a budget weenie, which is rather different, since budget players won’t always have 4 Savannah Lions and 4 Isamaru, not to mention 4 Umezawa’s Jitte. I have a white weenie deck, and it works most definitely fine without him, but a budget player may find it a nice combo. Also, weenie/sac life-gain might benefit from a little MORE life... Rolling Eyes But ultimately, yes, he’s not that great.

I play standard, and that’s my meta, so I directed the article to fit it. Also, analyzing all those cards being put to use in all the formats would take forever. I could (or maybe you could Wink ), however, write an article in "our" standards (containing a decklist and strategies to use t), including some Coldsnap card uses in other formats... Think

Yeah, I didn’t quite like Coldsnap all that, either, since it doesn’t have broken cards like Ice Age and Alliances... Razz
Anyway, I hope I answered all your questions for now! Thanks for the review!

PS: Yes, nice to mention it that way before anyone else does, that card-drawing combo sucks badly... But it could work (very well, btw) in a booster draft match, should you get those two cards, as could the Martyr of Sands + Sun’s Bounty combo... It’s like I said before, we can’t always cover all formats, now can we? Wink
I don't like YOU.
physcosick
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:22 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Well, if you check LSG’s and BB’s responses to Braid of Fire, you’ll see I made a mistake, so yeah, it’s a nice card and all, but not THAT great...
yeah I started writing the response and as I was doing it I realized there were a lot of responses and I decided to read them. But by than I had already mentioned Braids of Fire and I didn’t want to get rid of it all together so I just kept it.

Felipe Musco wrote:

I play standard, and that’s my meta, so I directed the article to fit it. Also, analyzing all those cards being put to use in all the formats would take forever. I could (or maybe you could Wink ), however, write an article in "our" standards (containing a decklist and strategies to use t), including some Coldsnap card uses in other formats... Think
I have a couple of articles planned out. I just returned to this site from like a 6 month hiatius or so and I think I have only entered one article (runner up in october 2005) and it was too late for me personally to start an article because I take my time and usually go about using decks and I play test a lot. But yeah I have some ideas for this month, don’t know how they will turn out, but I guarantee you nothing about it will have anything do with coldsnap... maybe I can do something for Time Spiral’s rumor mill... however, I already have another plan for that, too... but 2 articles in one month has never hurt anyone.

Felipe Musco wrote:

Yeah, I didn’t quite like Coldsnap all that, either, since it doesn’t have broken cards like Ice Age and Alliances... Razz
Anyway, I hope I answered all your questions for now! Thanks for the review!
Yeah, there is not one card from coldsnap that I want and I’m sure it will go down as a set I will never purchase, much like Homelands
Felipe Musco wrote:
some people at the coldsnap release in my store but only about 12 signed up for the tournie, and most of them did it cause they came for type 2 and had nothing better to do.

[quote="Felipe Musco"]It’s like I said before, we can’t always cover all formats, now can we? Wink
.... You could... it would just take a while Laughing ... oh don’t forget highlander... hmmm.... now I have another idea... go me Dancing
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 pm
Yes, I read your article, nice one! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
inresponse
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:55 pm
if you ever manage to steal a nantuko husk with adarkar valkyrie, please alert your opponent that he’s a dumbass.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:58 pm
Speak to the hand
Last edited by Felipe Musco on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in totalI don't like YOU.
r2d2quino
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:55 am
Cool article, but some major errors. I give it a 3.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Yeah, I’m starting to think I should’ve just edited the damn article. I think I’ll do that if I ever get the time, before I actually start LOSING my already low amount of gp. Confused
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest