LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
BearerOfWisdom
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:42 pm
So here is an idea that has play tested quite well. Not tournament legal unless in the extended format.
The Sites-
Green Dragon Inn
Fords of Isen
Slopes of Orodruin
City Gates
Anduin Banks
Dammed Gate Stream
Trollshaw Forest
Helm’s Gate
Caras Galadhon

The Ring could be any of the ones that give you a strength bonus, I have used The One Ring- Answer To All Riddles
Companions-
Smeagol- Bearer Of Great Secrets
Sam- Nice Sensible Hobbit
Frodo- Frenzied Fighter

Fellowship Cards-
4X- Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
1X- Called To Mordor
2X- Gladden Homestead
2X- Nice Fish
1X- Don’t Look At Them
2X- Fishing Boat
4X- Naked Waste
1X- Bilbo Baggins Retired Adventurer
4X- A Promise
1X- Rare Good Ballast
1X- A Light In His Mind
1X- Tom Bombadil’s Hat
1X- Mithril Coat Dwarf-Mail (either type of Mithril will do though)
1X- Hobbit Sword
1X- Orc Armor
1X- Sting Baggins Heirloom
2X- Sudden Fury

The Shadow-
4X- Gollum Mad Thing
4X- Shelob Her Ladyship (Last Child of Ungoliant can be used as needed)
1X- Unabated Malice
4X- It’s My Birthday
2X- Hobbitses Are Dead
2X- We Must Have It
4X- Captured By The Ring
2X- Chasm’s Edge
2X- Slippery As Fishes
1X- They Stole It
3X- Sweeter Meats
3X- Master Broke His Promise

THE STRATEGY-
Your Fellowship strategy is all focused on just surviving. Each Hobbit has a written text that prevents from being overwhelmed unless trippled. Also with Sudden Fury this allows your fellowship to gain as it loses. In order to double hop you have to use Smeagol to discard all minions in the regroup. The burdens can be removed with A Light In His Mind or if your opponent is playing any sort of burdening or threat deck Bombadils Hat is an awesome way to keep those burdens from piling up too quick. To keep the ring bearer from being overwhelmed you have Sting on Frodo, as well as Fishing Boat on Smeagol. This allows you to use the abundance of tokens. Just in case Smeagol wins a skirmish you also have the ability to heal with Nice Fish. The strength pump was chosen because of it’s ability to play from the discard pile. With such a small deck this makes it play much better for the survivability. If things get too rough, kill Frodo off and make Sam your ring bearer. You shouldn’t need this until the end of the game if at all.

MINIONS- There is alot of ways to pump up Gollum and with good reason. Master Broke His Promise wounds in the regroup and requires Gollum to exert three times to do it. Thus the wound prevention with Sweeter Meats. This also forces the fellowship to a minus 1 move limit. The only hinge here is Rohan, that is where Shelob comes in. Prevent the most dangerous person from skirmishing (like that pesky wounding Eowyn) and let that make the free peoples think twice. With the amount of possibilities to pull Gollum out you should get him every site. They Stole It also makes the free people think about how they are going to assign. If they double hop and you have both your minions on the board suddenly you can direct wound twice in one skirmish (or four times against a hobbit). Ultimately you are not going to minion kill but severely slow down the fellowship.

Susceptability-
Well, I thought the swarm would kill this but I just played against a friend that had over 20 minions on the table and I survived it pretty well.
Looking at this it would have to be huge cheap minions or a really well done burdening deck. I will continue the play testing and keep you all updated. Needless to say this is quite an enjoyable and surprising deck to play against someone.
I tend to use Gandalf alot. There isn't any other character in the game as useful or powerful. I also focus on decks that work together free people and minion.
Pipeweed
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:51 pm
Frodo, Frenzied Fighter can’t bear the ring.
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:02 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
smeagol si the ring-baerer main grievance this reads like a deck clinic not an article.

it is a deck list with strategy of the deck.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:27 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Exactly my thoughts. I don’t see a remarkable strategy here, just a deck...

Also, if Smeagol’s the RB, you can’t kill Frodo off and make Sam the RB. This came up with my Fried Frodo article, as well. Sam can only become the RB if Frodo was the RB when he was killed.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
BearerOfWisdom
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:07 pm
I just found out about the Smeagol Ring Bearer issue. It still plays well. As far as it being in the wrong forum? It is a strategy article, the last one I wrote focused on the mechanics of things and everyone screamed for a deck list. I don’t get it... Oh well. Worth a shot.
I put the strategy down, shadow- stop the fellowship from double hopping. Fellowship- Survive and double using Smeagols ability. Even without being able to transfer the ring this deck works and it is a strategy.
I tend to use Gandalf alot. There isn't any other character in the game as useful or powerful. I also focus on decks that work together free people and minion.
bobtheorc
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:13 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I think that the articl eis too short.
But whenever you make an article people generally want a decklist. Rolling Eyes
this does seem like a deck clinic topic though.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
elf lvr
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:43 pm
I does look more like a decklist. You made a strategy out of the deck, not a deck out of the strategy. Rohan WILL mess up this shadow, the only fellowship of mine that my gollum corruption doesn’t work well against is my rohan. There are too many strong, damage+1 companions to beat them down with her ladyship. but if they double and you can play shelob twice, thats two unassignable companions. DEADLY!
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
PorterTroll
Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:44 pm
try to expand on your thoughts and delve deeper into your strategy, i will wait to vote on this deck until you have more thoroughly explained your strategy. (tell me WHY you picked the cards you did) Very Happy thanks
"Don't be a Douche, Stop Piracy!"~Tenacious D
"One of my movies was called "True Lies." It's what the Democrats should have called their convention."~Arnold Schwarzenegger
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:19 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Also, your companions should have commas, not dashes, after their title. As it is, they’re not linking.

How the heck did you survive a 20 minion swarm with three companions?? That would be 18 minions on poor Smeagol! Even if they’re Strength 3 (not very likely... Laughing ) that’s still, um, 54 strength...um, yeah, that’s an overwhelm. I don’t think it’s likely that your opponent would leave Frodo, Frenzied Fighter unassigned.

I also don’t like the fact that it’s a bit boring to read. Why? Because you gave a decklist, and then gave some strategy to use with it. No thorough examination of tactics or anything. You also should use more paragraphs.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
PorterTroll
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:48 pm
yeah, theres no way someone can get 20 minions out in one turn against any deck. but if he did, what shadow was he playing? Think

Id like to take this fellowhsip on with my trolls, see how smeagol holds up against 3 porter trolls, a tower troll, 2 beastly olog-hai, an ordnance grunt, the cave trolls keyward,and of course, the cave troll himself! Twisted Evil
"Don't be a Douche, Stop Piracy!"~Tenacious D
"One of my movies was called "True Lies." It's what the Democrats should have called their convention."~Arnold Schwarzenegger

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded