LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
Pipeweed
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:41 pm
Hey all, I have a question. Let’s say I play a Men minion with a Pavise, and my opponent has a Shadowplay on the table. Would they be able to exert my minion with Shadowplay? I’m asking this because it is unclear to me whether I can play the minion + Pavise together to stop the exertion, or whether I have to play the minion, become exerted, and then play Pavise.

Thanks,
Pipeweed
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:46 pm
As soon as you play the minion, the FP player can use Shadowplay. After it, you can play Pavise.

Also, Pavise only prevents wounds, not exertions. Razz
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Pipeweed
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:46 pm
That stinks, but thanks AC Very Happy
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
bibfortuna25
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:06 pm
All cards are played one at a time. So you play the minion, the FP responds with Shadowplay, and then you play the Pavise.
All cards do what they say.
bobtheorc
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:19 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Also exertions are not the same as wounds.
So even cards like Armor prevent wounds they don’t prevent exertions.
But both wounds and exertions are represented in the same way.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
orian
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:49 am
interesting point on shadowplay , to bounce the discussion, is that you can use it before, or after a "in game arrival special"

example 1:
I have one shadowplay
my opponent plays corsair marauder
as fellowship player, I have the opportunity to exert him and then eventually play unheeded to prevent him from discarding one of my possessions

example 2:
I have 2 shadowplays this time
my opponent plays ulaire otsea, seventh of the nine riders
I can use shadowplay before otsea’s special but I don’t want to because my frodo would have one more wound => would give otsea’s special more efficiency.
I pass for my 2 shadowplays

=> my opponent uses otsea’s special
I can then use the 2 shadowplay

=> my opponent doesn’t uses otsea’s special
I can’t then use the 2 shadowplay

on the opposite, let’s say, I have unheeded in hand and I want to kill otsea before all
well, I can’t prevent his special effect
first shadowplay is used
then my opponent uses otsea’s power
second shadowplay is used and I kill otsea with unheeded

if you have other interesting stuff with shadowplay, I’d be glad to hear them Wink
orian - the French pirate, the Bloody Bastard
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:30 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
wait OK you can exert x hobbits fi you have x shadoplay to exert a minion x times right (when it id played)
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
orian
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:27 am
sickofpalantirs wrote:
wait OK you can exert x hobbits fi you have x shadoplay to exert a minion x times right (when it id played)

I would have said "no" but right now I can’t remember any decent example Laughing
orian - the French pirate, the Bloody Bastard
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am
sickofpalantirs wrote:
No.

Comprehensive Rule Book 4.0 page 7 wrote:
Action
Nearly everything that occurs during the game is some kind of action. Players perform actions to play cards, use special abilities, move their fellowships, reconcile, and so on.
Every action is either optional or required. An optional action is defined as: an action that uses the word “may,” an event, or a special ability. All other actions are required actions.
If two or more required actions are occurring at the same time (for example, more than one “start of turn” action), the Free Peoples player decides in which order they occur.
All required actions responding to a particular trigger are performed before any optional actions. After all such required actions have resolved, players may perform optional actions responding to that same trigger using the action procedure. (See response.)
See also cost, effect, loops.
Since both Shadowplay and Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders are optional actions as evidenced by the "may" in their game text, you have to follow the action procedure for responses as Orian said above. The only reason that you can kill the Corsair Marauder before he can do his "when you play" action is that as the free People’s player, you get the first action when dealing with optional actions (Shadowplay) and you get the first response to the new trigger caused by your optional action (Unheeded). The Corsair Marauder is then killed and his game text is no longer in play and thus cannot be used.
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

This Incognito is a smooth operator - Lem0nhead
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:17 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
[quote="Merrick_Hale"]
sickofpalantirs wrote:
No.

this is just confusing for me thanks M_H(boy I say that a lot don’t I)
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions