LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
BrianBoitano
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:14 pm
Well, the only baseline advice I can see without knowing what direction you’re willing to take the deck is 4 Birds of Paradise (duh!), 4 Sakura-Tribe Elders (less enthusiastic duh), and some Voidslime (as Grail pointed out earlier).

If dual lands are easy enough to come by, Ohran Viper would make a nice turn 3 drop that would either deal with whatever they got through with their limited mana base, or if they’re not doing much net you some serious card advantage.

So let us know where you’re willing to take this, and we’ll (at least I will Wink) be happy to help you there!

Oh, and I don’t see why modifying this article to fit the new theme would be out of the question. Nobody has voted yet, so I say go ahead and make modifications, and if it turns out not to be the right choice revert back before the end of the month.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
The First
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:49 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Why are the boards so green oriented? If any color should not be splashed into this deck, it would be green IMO.

Sure it will aceelerate your mana base but what would be green’s added value? Voidslime has been mentioned, but with that many bounce and landstealing, mana leak would be as effective.

I’d rather add white. Condemn, Wrath of God, Pacifism, Faith’s Fetters,... all great cards for some early board control.

For the original design though; rather add those counters instead of the bounce spells. Bounce is nice late game, but you need at least some early game defence. Those two creatures can bounce all that is needed and are an on-field threath.

This deck is very, very expensive if you ask me. You need a lot of mana to play your cards, and, as extra, you need mana to play those cards from your opponent. As a result, these will be long games. You’ll get those cards you like from your opponent even if you counter his cards on the first few turns (or destroy them with white spells).

Maybe add a few exhaustions? Evacuation was in the original design for a reason; control the board in times of need.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:08 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
First off, good to have you back on the boards, The First! It’s been a while since I read anything from you!
And you are right in one thing (partly): I like the idea of using Heidar too much, and he needs some [Snow] mana, so I decided to not splasg in anything.
The bouncers are actually more effective than counterspell, because of nowaday’s meta: dual/triple-colored decks. I can simply bounce Lands to stall them early game, and STEAL their precious duals later, so I can cast their spells (AND accelerate mine). I’m agreeing, however, that Dream Leash may be a bit too much, so I’m considering either dropping them for Drift of Phantasms, Mana Leak, Evacuation or some combination of those.
Exhaustion may be good, too... I may also drop Leash for some card-drawing power, although if I do this, I plan on dropping Treasure Trove too, and adding in 3 Tidings, or 3-4 Compulsive Research (not that good, ’cause I really need my mana, may add Counsel of the Soratami, for mana-cost orientation), leaving opne a 1-2 card-gap... Think
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:13 am
I’d like to emphasize that Muse Vessel acts several jobs.
If you’ve been doing your land denial right, they won’t want to remove a land, so they’re gonna give you something to cast
They don’t want to give up their low-casting cost stuff, since that’s all they can play with their limited land.
That leaves them giving you either their toolbox, or their big beaters/win conditions. Either way, you’ve crippled their ability to beat on you. Even if it takes you one turn to steal, one turn to cast, you’re still way ahead in the quality of cards.

Based on this, I’d say that Drift of Phantasms would make a nice addition, to make sure you have the Vessel out consistantly.

White sounds like an interesting add, but it interferes a bit with the bounce theme of the deck. Early board control should be prevention, not reaction. Wrath does work pretty well, but unless your opponent runs lots of 1 and 2-drops, they won’t ever get many creatures out.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:28 am
Doesn’t Muse Vessel cost 4? How would Drift help me with that? Maybe Tidings will, though...
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:11 pm
Exclamation
Right you are!
My bad...
"Not again" -Hans
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:32 pm
But you’re right in a sense that it will let me LIVE enough so Vessel sees play... Laughing
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:25 pm
Bounce for their lands and Exhaustion can indeed be enough for early game protection. I can’t imagine you being able to stop/steal/remove with the vessel.

Without the Exhaustions, you can still have problems with aggro decks. Bouncing land is great, but you’ll start at turn 2. Land can be used the moment it is put into play. And if you use your mana to remove land, creatures will be very happy and attack you.

Exhaustion could be a very and vital addition.

I’m not a huge fan of the Dream Leash. You can’t tap anything yourself. Most people will tap anything with an ability at eot and will never be tapped at your turn. Of it won’t matter (the spell won’t be that good). It can be good/useful in the right circumstances though.

I’d choose Mana Leak, then Evacuation (this is still under consideration though as it sends to owner’s hand, not controller’s). I never liked the Drift that much unless it cathes that vital card out of your deck.
Great minds bleed alike.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:53 pm
Well, I’m open to two possibilities right now: either add in 4 Drift of Phantasms (and in this case, I’d switch Fellwar Stone for Spectral Searchlight, so I can transmute for it if I don’t need a blocker, and ALSO transmute for Hinder, if I’m SB’ing), or adding 4 Exhaustion. These would replace Dream Leash x3 and Teasure Trove x1.
So far, I’m liking the first choice more... What do you think?
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:05 pm
I’m thinking that the first option is speeding your game but leaves your opponent at peace, while the second is blocking your opponent and as a result, gives you a speed advantage.

As a neutral analist, I would say both do the same more or less. Exhaustion is a lot more useful late game than a drift though.

Obviously, I myself would use the exhaustion since I proposed it myself.
Great minds bleed alike.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest