LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:21 pm
The fact that muse vessel is the main point of the deck is why I’m convinced green should be splashed. Only green can add to the main combo without changing the complex of the deck. Green just makes it faster.

In general, you don’t want to transmute for something that isn’t a part of a combo (I wouldn’t be caught dead transmuting for searchlight outside limited).

P.S. I scrubbed out of the PTQ pretty badly today... I’m not kidding when I say I faced plague boiler, savage twister, and demonfire round one. Or that round two I wrote down one total non-basic land when there was only one, but didn’t actually mark golgari rot farm for a loss round two, or that round three I was faced with this:

Turn 1: land
Turn 2: Land, Farseek (3 total land)
Turn 3: Land, Coiling oracle to land (5 land total)
Turn 4: Land, convoke down seige wurm

As bad as that is, it gets WAY worse.

Turn 5: Land, Hammerfist Giant
Turn 6: Land, Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi
Turn 6: Vedalken Dismisser
Turn 7: Tidewater minion w/ mana for undefendering

Needless to say, I got beat up pretty bad. Usually a rotwurm turn four looks good, especially when a boros guildmage and conclave EQ join the party but... wow.

So after that terrible experience (I dropped after winning a couple when I was bored of shredding the newbs I was paired with without any incentive to win), I played a Coldsnap draft. I was there with a friend (Osion) and I played a team draft with him and this random dude I traded with at some point. So we were asking around and we stumbled across a guy who said he and two friends would take us in team. Obviously, they thought they were going to beat down a couple of newbish looking people who scrubbed out...

So I asked a guy I know there if he knew anything about them. He said "You’ve got to be nuts to play against him... his rating is over 1900. And his friend? His rating IS 1900." So anyways... it turns out that sometimes the most lame strategies work against good players because they don’t suspect it.

Osion pulls SEVEN Kroikan Mists... to compliment his FIVE surging sentinels (and proceeded to win out going 3-0). I was rather amazed. Apparently the pros all thought the other people on their team would take them...

Me being me, I took a panglacial wurm first pick, eventually complimented by six copies of boreal druid... not to mention four aurochs herd. My final list is as follows:

4 Aurochs Herd
6 Boreal Druid
6 Swift Maneuver
1 Panglacial Wurm
1 Glacial Plating
1 Boreal Griffin
2 Surging Might
1 Cover of Winter
1 Darien, King of Kjeldor

Speaking of wiping the floor... Turn one boreal druid. Turn two, two more druids, swing with the first one. Turn three, aurochs herd. Have a nice day *finds another aurochs herd* *repeats*. Yeah... so that was only for the winning team gets the rares thing, and we got jank, but it was great fun drafting Coldsnap, and even more fun beating pros.

I might have to draft some more Snap and write an article about it. It’s awesome.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:26 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Well, after some playtests, I altered the article.
Dropped Dream leash and treasure Trove and added in Drift of Phantasms. Still on the process of testing it out with Exhaustion, but so far, I find it better to block some bigger creatures rather than just taking the damage to exhaust them the next turn.
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:03 pm
Here are my impressions:

Drift of Phantasms - Allowed me to live for a longer period, so I could get the stealing engine going.

Exhaustion - Although good, in this build, a rather "not so useful" card, since I already took the beating by the time I cast it, but it DOES slow my opponent’s dropping ratio. However, in MY meta, Drift’s done better, lots of acceleration going on. In control-oriented builds, exhaustion might help more, though.

Any more ideas?
I don't like YOU.
physcosick
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:31 pm
exhaustion was used in Owl and other decks like it to combat aggro decks to save themselves a turn to draw into other options... but since you don’t have the high amount of draw/card advantage that Owl has, your chances of drawing into an answer in one turn is quite low, so it will save you a turn but really it isn’t so hot.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:04 pm
Drift is great because it has 5 power, which means he can’t be charred/helixed.... but the meta has shifted away from that. I’m not sure it’s any better to play drift than exhaustion becuase the best performing decks right now are solar flare and Hand in hand. Look at the article on magicthegathering.com. It’s full of great stuff for meta.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:40 am
Yeah, that article is very good, I’ve read it a lot of times. It points directly to one thing: Coldsnap sucks in standard, so far... Laughing But it’s fun as hell to play with! Specially in draft.
The meta has indeed shifted away from Chars and Helixes, but there are some pretty big fellas ’round (Allosaurus Rider, anyone?), so Drift may help contain them early game, or at least contain "side damagers", while Exhaustion only does it AFTER you sustained the damage. Yes, it DOES tap them out for one turn, but I’d rather block and steal their lands than just slow them for a while... But Exhaustion COULD be better in some match-ups, so I’d suggest at least boarding them.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:50 pm
I just noticed that over half your matchups say to board in the counter spree... any reason they aren’t just maindecked?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:24 pm
Yeah, I noticed that. Thing is, this deck is rather competitive, although not killer, but it’s more of a fun deck to play with. So MD’ing counterspree means disrupting the main strategy. If you want a more competitive mono-blue, my Mono-blue beats is more like it. But if you want to have fun at a FNM, you can play Rubber Field. However, if you’re getting pounded uglyly (is that a word?!?) at a givn night, you might have some chance of scoring some points.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:53 pm
Personally, I think you could stand to add some counter-magic without disruupting the thing, but it’s your deck. I personally would rather not go through all the trouble of boarding so frequently.
r2d2quino
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:06 pm
After reading your other article, I must say I was disapointed to read this one. This deck is so fragile! What do you do, if your opponent plays Gruul aggro, Zoo, Weenie or anything with acceleration? It still seems fun to play with, maybe in a FNM, so instead of 2, I’m giving it a 3.
And I also think that other guy is right, why not simply using counter-magic? Why leaving it out?

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest