LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:15 pm
--- description ---
Gandalf Powerful Guide...powerful isn’t he? Now let’s take a look on how to properly use him to rid your opponent of minions!

--- end description ---

Another set and yet another Gandalf to use to his greatest potential. This deck is open...mainly because it increases the number of spells Gandalf can use. Let’s go see what to use and how to use it.

SPELLS
Some of the most vital spells to use in this deck design come from, yes you guessed correctly, the first set ever created...The Fellowship of the Ring! Strength of Spirit is the one most important card in this deck. I will explain later why it is so important. Servant of the Secret Fire is the other spell from Fellowship that you will need. Some other spells from the Fellowship block that will prove to be useful are wielder of the flame and fireworks. Other spells that will help are into dark tunnels and long I fell.

THE STRATEGY!!!!!!!
Finally! Let’s get on to the strategy and the reason you are reading this!
To start off with, as far as companions go, you want Frodo Resolute Hobbit (any deck that adds burdens needs the extra resistance) and maybe the one ring, such a weight to carry, for the strength bonus. Along with Frodo you have Bilbo aged ring-bearer and legolas greenleaf. Bilbo is there to give Frodo the extra strength and at the same time to remove burdens. All you need is a hobbit sword on both Frodo and Bilbo to help with their lack of strength. Legolas greenleaf, his exert to wound gametext will provide to be the most useful asset in this deck...along with Gandalf and his spells of course! You need several copies of Gandalf to help get him into play. You want him in ASAP! You also want one or two copies of Aragorn Guide and protector and Aragorn’s Bow.

The Manuever Phase: If you need, you can use Wielder of the Flame to make a companion Defender +1 and add a burden to wound a minion. Usually it won’t matter who you make Defender plus but the wounding is what is important.

The Archery Phase: Ohhh soooooooooo many options! This is where your opponent will lose most of their minions. Let’s say you have Aragorn with Aragorn’s Bow, Legolas, and Gandalf with three Strength of spirit and into dark tunnels in your hand and your opponent plays Shelob Her LAdyship forcing one of your most valued companion to not skirmish. No problem. The Archery phase comes and now is your turn to shine. Bear with me here...this can get a little confusing: you exert Legolas to wound Shelob but use Strength of spirit to prevent the exertion adding a burden to wound Shelob again. 2 wounds on Shelob. After you play strength of spirit you use into dark tunnels, using another strength of spirit to exert Gandalf only once, and add 2 burdens to wound shelob 2 more times and taking strength of spirit back into hand. That leaves you with 2 strength of spirit in your hand, 3 burdens on Frodo, a shelob that is wounded four times and the only exertion you placed is on Gandalf. Now you exert Legolas twice more using those last two strength of spirit and adding two burdens to kill off Shelob! That’s just one example! Both swarm and power decks fall to the might of Gandalf and his companions!

Skirmish Phases: You do want to be in plenty of skirmishes...you just want to control what minions you fight so you are able to win with Gandalf and if you have both Glamdring Foe Hammer and Watch and Wait on him...what a beast. You will want to place tokens on Not the first halfling because it works like a charm with Shadowfax Roaring Wind and Alatar Final Envoy. Long I fell is very nice too. It is very helpful in either wounding or preventing wounds. Your opponent will be forced to prevent all wounds to Gandalf or let you wound a minion and if you added a burden to wound a minion already, then the decsion they make will be more difficult. And now Servant of the Fire can be used either to wound or just to make a minion Strength -3. If Aragorn is skirmishing a strong minion that somehow survived the archery phase. Servants and his gametext is all you need to put that minion in his proper place. You could also have a Bow of the Galadhrim to help against swarming decks. And if you really need to, you could assign Bilbo to a weak minion to remove a burden. That is how you take care of the minions!

Now after all that burden adding and possibly exerting you need to heal. Ease the Burden and dwelling sites and very nice for this. And to heal...well that’s where the shire country side comes in handy.

A few other cards that would help with the strategy are: Gandalf’s staff-you just can’t beat the -1 cost for spells, very helpful for keeping the twilight pool as low as possible; Phial of Galadriel, The Light of Earendil adds one to the much need resistance of Frodo and gives you muster which is also helpful in moving again to get fresh cards in hand; salt from the shire is there for the resistance +2, why not use it?; Pallando Far-travelling one is there to get rid of conditions; Fireworks--shuffle those spells back in! Elrond lord of rivendell and Hugin emissary from laketown help cycle and put spells back in.

Well that is basically how this deck works. There are many other cards you use, but I think this is the best way to make it work. You want to have a large deck as long as you have lots of spells. Any shadow that cycles well works.

Here is a deck list:
(45)
Frodo Resolute Hobbit
The One Ring Ring of Rings

Gandalf Powerful Guide x3
Legolas Greenleaf (starting)
Bilbo Aged Ring Bearer (starting)
Aragorn Guide and Protector
Salt From the Shire
Hobbit Sword x2
Phial of Galadriel, The Light of Earendil
Aragorns Bow x2
Bow of the Galadhrim
Glamdring Foe Hammer
Gandalf’s Staff x2
Shadowfax Roaring wind
Alatar Final Envoy
Pallando far travelling one
Watch and wait x2
not the first halfling
The shire countryside x2
Servant of the Secret Fire x3
Strength of spirit x4
Long I fell x2
Into dark tunnels x2
Wielder of the Flame x2
Fireworks x2
Ease the burden x3
A wizard is never late x2
Elrond Lord of Rivendell x2
Hugin, Emissary from Laketown

Adventure Path:
(3) Trollshaw Forest
(3) The Prancing Pony
(3) Heights of Isengard
(2) Helm’s Gate
(2) Osgiliath Reclaimed
(0) Buckland Homestead
Those are just some sites you can use; the rest kind-of depends on your shadow. Make sure to have many dwellings for Ease the burden!
Last edited by Lord of the Shire on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:23 pm
I have played this deck and it rocks! The article was a bit hard to read at times... but the strategy is good... you don’t rely on conditions, which is a good thing, but all those burdens might prove troublesome... I played this with a corruption deck, however, and he was never in danger. He double-moved quite a few times, killing all my minions and seriously choking the twilight pool with Gandalf’s Staff...

Not bad, I will wait to vote until I see what others have said.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:25 pm
Where is it hard to read? If it is fixable I’ll fix it...might be hard though.
This isn’t exactly the deck I used. It’s what I want it to be. And yes, I do rely on conditions. Not a whole bunch but a little bit. But thanks for your input!
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:28 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I also agree that it’s not the easiest article to read, but I do grasp the strategy quite well. I question the use of SaWTC-why not instead use The One Ring, the Ring of Doom? Even better, why not The One Ring, the Ring of Rings? Extra resistance is good with this deck.

I love your archery phase use of Strength of Spirit, but how do you know you’ll get it together with Into Dark Tunnels? The Shelob example was great, though...but those burdens will pile up really fast. 5 burdens to kill off Shelob? Dark Swooping Shadows and Ulaire Enquea, Wraith on Wings would also give you trouble. And there’s no protection whatsoever against cards like Pavise or Invincible Uruk.

Your decklist could also stand to use some improvement. It does include the X-listed The Shire Countryside. You’re starting Legolas and Bilbo, right?

I like the idea, though. Tip for readability: break it up into more paragraphs.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:46 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Too many cards... And Power According to His Stature seems to be missing from the build. Other than that, good build! Liked the idea a lot. I would add in Elrond, Lord of Rivendell for drawing more cards, and Hugin, Emissary from Laketown (elf lvr is going to harrass me for suggesting this combo FOR SURE! Very Happy ), so you can get you Fireworks or any other cards back. I also think you should write in an adventure path.
I don't like YOU.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:46 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
a good article you misspelled strength of spirit and paragraph indentations would be nice.

otherwise good job!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
bobtheorc
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:47 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Decent article but the deck has some problems.
For example the deck will have 90 cards. HOw do you plan to cycle?
Also any half deent corruption good make hash of this dck.Just because elf lvr’s deck didn’t doesn’t mean it will always work. And your your have some mispellings such as
Quote:
The One Ring Such Ring of rings
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:02 pm
Are you implying that my deck is less than halfway decent?

It was sauron corruption that relied on Desperate Defense and since none of my minions got to skirmish, plus at the time he was using Courteous Halfling... my discarding corruption didn’t do much...

But do you think gollum corruption would be effective if Gollum ALWAYS died during maneuver? and would Wraith corruption do a thing if Enquea TotO never got to skirmish?

And I think playing every fellowship card in your hand every turn counts as cycling, believe me this deck loads up on events and unloads pretty quick... but some cycling or a smaller deck would help.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:09 pm
Edited!
CG: Thanks for noticing the Ring. That’s the ring I meant to put in. As for Pavise, I can still wound bearer during the skirmish phase.

FM: PATHS may be helpful if I’m totally swarmed. You’re right about Elrond and Hugin! I’ve never thought about that before! I added in a little bit of an adventure path. Just the sites the freepeoples needs though.

BtO:Explain how a half decent corruption deck could make hash of this deck. I want to know how. I fixed that mispelling. Elf Luvr’s deck is more than half decent...it’s just that his Desperate defense of the ring didn’t work.
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:10 pm
on a side note, there is no u in my name. thanx.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest