LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 4 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:40 pm
--- description ---
How many times have you seen a hobbit overwhelm Sauron? Check out this article to see how powerful these little hobbits really are.
--- end description ---

You might be asking yourself this very question I asked myself when I was building my hobbit deck. With so many shire cards out there how do I know which ones to put in my deck? Here is a little help with question. Let’s start with some of the companions that I have included in my deck.

Companions:

Sam Great Elf Warrior - A must have in every hobbit deck. This guy is the tank of all the hobbits. Getting a strength bonus for every hobbit companion you can spot is phenomenal.

Merry Loyal Companion - This guy is a decent hobbit to start with. he gets a strength bonus for every other unbound companion assigned to a skirmish. So, he isn’t to bad when your talking about a big hobbit fellowship.

Farmer Maggot Hobbit of the Marish - This guy is another great starter for the hobbits. Most of the time when you play with these little guys you will want to march down the site path with as many forests and dwellings as possible, therefore making him a decent strength to fight with.

Tolman Cotton Farmer of Bywater - This guy is a great way to stop those pesky corruption decks running around nowadays. He makes a very nice addition in case you don’t get some of your burden removal out in time.

Westfarthing Businessman - These guys are pretty decent when it comes to a strong hobbit deck. We will see how their text comes into play later on in this article.

Possessions:

Sting Weapon of Heritage - This thing is a machine when it comes to removing burdens. Slap this sucker on Sam to give him another strength bonus and then every time he wins away goes a burden.

Tom Bombadil’s Hat - This stylish hat serves a double purpose. Not only is it a little bit of help with the burdens but once it gets a token, it will help out those Westfarthing Businessman.

Hobbit Sword - This weapon is just there to help your hobbits with their strength so that they can win some skirmishes.

Events:

Concerning Hobbits - This is a great strength pump to go along with your site path that you are going to use with Farmer Maggot Hobbit of the Marish.

Chance Observation - This is a strength pump that is equivalent to Sam Great Elf Warrior’s text. How awesome is it to have a strength pump of nine slapped down against your opponent?

Conditions:

Sudden Fury - This condition started it all. Not only does it give you strength for later when you lose, it also pumps up those Westfarthing Businessman.

A Promise - This is a must have in every deck that plays Sam and Frodo together. While they are good and healthy it gives away more strength.

Humble Homestead - Once again another condition that serves a double purpose. It can get you out of trouble if you need it to but it also helps supply those Westfarthing Businessman with strength bonuses.

The Tale of the Great Ring - Just in case someone decides to try to overwhelm one of your hobbits, ditch this in hopes that they don’t play an event.

Fates Entwined - This condition allows you to heal some of your wounded up hobbits that lost skirmishes for the sake of Sudden Fury.

Extras:

Put as many forests and dwelling sites in your site path as possible. Try to go second if you can. Make sure you include Green Dragon Inn in that site path as well.

Decklist:

So finally here is a look at the decklist:

Ringbearer:
Frodo Resolute Hobbit
The One Ring the Ring of Rings

Companions:
Sam Great Elf Warrior (Starting)
Merry Loyal Companion (Starting)
Farmer Maggot Hobbit of the Marish (Starting)
Tolman Cotton Farmer of Bywater
Westfarthing Businessman x4

Possessions:
Sting Weapon of Heritage
Hobbit Sword x4
Tom Bombadil’s Hat

Events:
Concerning Hobbits x3
Chance Observation x3

Conditions:
Sudden Fury x4
A Promise x4
Humble Homestead x2
The Tale of the Great Ring x2
Fates Entwined x3

There us a nice 35 card fellowship side full of hobbits. Most of the time there will be quite a few tokens on your Sudden Fury. This allows for a major strength bonus to any of your hobbits or just enough to beat a minion. Wit A Promise out and bunch of hobbits usually Sam is a strength 14 or so.When it comes to any of the other hobbits utilize those events and then if you need to utilize the Sudden Fury tokens. Now let’s take a look at some of the shadow sides that you might come across when playing this deck.

Shadow Sides:

Forest Nazgul - You might have a bit of trouble with this but it is a pretty even matchup. Just make sure you watch what is going on in their support are and carefully place those skirmishes so that your hobbits don’t die of overwhelm.

Nazgul Corruption - This shadow side should not be problem since they pay forests down the path as well. Their should be enough to stop the massive burden that are possible and Sam is also their to take some of those burdens away.

Orc Corruption - This corruption deck you will have to watch a little closer because of the site replacement with underground and the fact that their are only 6 events in the deck.

Archery - this again should not be so much of a problem. Not only do your hobbits have high vitality for the most part, but fates entwined also steps in to help with some healing.

Corsairs - This is not as hard of a matchup for hobbits as it is with some other fellowships. if they get rid of your possessions it is no big deal since most of your strength comes from the conditions. One thing to watch for is the Castamir of Umbar, Raider Halberd, Red Wrath combo.

Hunter Uruks - This might be your toughest matchup. These guys don’t let down for nothing. Watch where you place your skirmishes and watch those wounds that they can dish out. Mauhur Relentless Hunter is probably going to be your biggest problem. if you lose skirmishes it is ok, that is why we have Sudden Fury. Win with Sam to take off some of those wounds and you should be alright.

There you have it. A great hobbit deck that can withstand a lot of the current meta. The best shadow side to go with this fellowship side is the Forest Nazguls. I have had a lot of success with this deck and it rarely loses. Now let’s watch these little hobbits beat up on the big dudes!
Last edited by WitchKingBlkCapt on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 pm
Interesting article, and well writen. Its easy to read, and shows off the strength of your hobbits. But the title refers the the power of your FRODO, and you don’t even discuss the frodo you put in. Some examples you had of the strength of your hobbits would have been nice, I need to see how your pippin overwhelms sauron Wink or something equally amazing, to be totally convinced to the usefullness and power of your hobbit skirmish engine.

I love Fates Entwined / Sudden Fury as a combo. It rocks.

But all in all a good article. I will wait before voting.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:59 pm
I added more about how you can get those hobbits up to such high strengths and so forth. I changed the focus of the title as well and the description to just hobbits in general.
"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:05 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Ah, yes, a nice hobbit article. Although Westfarthing businessman isn’t as good as you crack him up to be, since he’s only strength +1 for the number of cards with tokens, not strength +1 for each token. There’s Humble Homestead, Sudden Fury, and Tom Bombadil’s Hat in your deck, so he’s strength +3, totalling strength 6-or strength 8 with hobbit sword. Not much of a fighter at all.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:19 pm
Indeed, CG, the Businessman isn’t as great as WKBC thought - however, you forgot that he can have 4 copies of Sudden Fury in play, not just 1.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:20 pm
d'oh!
Multiple copies of non-unique conditions. Forgot about that. Still, an 11-strength companion isn’t the best Shire can do. Farmer Maggot is the same, and he’s a lot easier to get to that strength.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
bobtheorc
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:13 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
The article was ok but I felt it didn’t really have any good Strategy.
You sorta explained the obvious about cards and didn’t go into much detail.
So I may give you a 2-3.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:18 pm
I also don’t see how the hobbits can reach such heights as 40 strength-a definite requirement for overwhelming the Big Guy. I know they can, but you don’t really mention this. What happened to Everyone Knows? You should also take a look at followers-good stuff, there.

Why Frodo, Resolute Hobbit with the One Ring, the Ring of Rings? It’s almost as if you’re paranoid about corruption...a better choice would be Frodo, Weary From the Journey, for his swarm protection...maybe with the One ring, answer to all riddles or the one ring, the ring of doom.
hblika
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:59 am
If you have all 9 companions and all copies of A Promise in play, Sam is strength 18 when bearing a sword. Then you still need 30 more strength to overwhelm Sauron. Theoretically, if you save all your tokens on Sudden Fury, and clog your hand with your events, you could overwhelm Sauron... But until you you have saved enough events and tokens, your opponent will most probably killed off a few of the other companions, thus lowering Sam’s strength.. I actually thought you had deviced some interresting way to pump your Hobbits, but this will not work (and isn’t even a new strategy).

On a more general note, all your skirmish events, are only effective mid- to late-game, and only then if you’re either behind on the adventure path, or your opponent discards your conditions (and if he does, you can forget about strength 18 Sam).

The article is grammatically well written though.
I'm not stupid. I'm just unlucky when I'm thinking.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:20 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
it seems like a deck in some ways you just mention a bunch of cards and stick them in a deck. also how are you going to get 4 hobbit cards in your discard pile for chance observation
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest