LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
22%
  [ 2 ]  22%

77%
  [ 7 ]  77%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
Pipeweed
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:12 pm
--- description ---
Tournaments are a very pleasant and fun way to meet other players and play the great game of LOTR TCG, but to those new to tourneys, they can be a nerve-racking ordeal. How can you prepare for a fun event?
--- end description ---

Sanctioned tournaments can be a great way to have fun yet play competitively in LOTR TCG, but for the first timer, it can be a very nerve-racking experience, and cause the player to stress unnecessarily and as a result, play poorly. This article will look into how to prepare for a tournament.

How to Prepare:

1. To find a tournament visit the Find a Tournament page on Decipher’s website. Usually it will list the cost, date, time, the number of rounds, and the format of play.
2. Make sure you know what format the tournament will be held in so that you can prepare your deck adequately. Leave plenty of time to spare for play-testing, which will benefit you greatly on the day of the tournament.
3. Get directions to place where the tournament is being held, and make sure you have the proper admission fees.
4. Read over the comprehensive rulebook and make sure you understand the game rules very well.

What to Pack:

Deck – Obviously you will need to pack your deck. It is smarter to put it in some sort of case so that no cards get lost.
Comprehensive Rulebook – All tournament directors will have one, but still bring your own just in case.
Twilight Tokens: Some tournaments will supply these for you, but it is always good to bring your own.
Site Marker – Bring a personalized site marker to use throughout the entire tournament.
Water Bottle – This is one of the best things you can bring to any tournament.
Money – While at the event, you may want to purchase cards, or go buy lunch/dinner.
Food – If you do not want to drive out to get a meal, bring a sack lunch/dinner to the event.
Other Cards – Finally, bring other cards for trading and casual play after the tournament.

Getting There and Getting Ready:

Always leave early so that you have plenty of time to spare in case there is traffic or you get lost. At the worst, you will arrive 15 minutes to half an hour early and have time for extra trading before the tournament begins.

When you get to the tournament, you will usually have to fill out a tournament form/scorecard. This will usually require information like your email address, phone number, etc. These will never be used except to contact you regarding tournament information, and prize mailing.

At higher level tournaments, you may be asked to provide a deck list, but this is not usually required for casual local tourneys.

After you’ve filled out any necessary forms, spend any remaining time getting to know the other players (and maybe trade for a few more cards for your deck).

Things to Do When Playing:

1. ALWAYS STAY RELAXED!! This is very important.. If you are wound up, take a sip of water and try to calm down. You can make major mistakes if you are nervous.
2. Take your time and be careful, but remember that in tournaments, you have only 45 minutes to complete a game, so don’t wait all day. Still, if time runs out and you are not finished, one of the players in your game will be awarded a timed win, which is 1 point in between a win and a loss.
3. Remember to heal at sanctuaries. Sometimes there is grace for this, sometimes there isn’t, so always be careful.
4. Try to know your opponent’s deck before the game. This will assist you in making critical choices.

Once you are done with the game, turn in your scorecards to the tournament director, and he will score them for you. Here is the scoring system:

3 points: Full Win
2 points: Timed Win (this is usually the person farthest ahead if you do not finish your game on time.
1 point: Loss

After the Tournament:

At the end of the tournament the director will call out everyone’s names in order of first place to last place. If you don’t do very well, don’t worry. As long as you had fun, you did fine.

Everyone will usually receive a prize, not just the winner, so you will most likely get something for playing. This is usually a foil promo or a few packs.

When everything is done, people will usually stick around to play casually and trade for a while. This is a good time to get advice on your decks and give advice to others.

Conclusion:

Tournaments are a great way to start playing competitively, if you feel ready to play at a higher level. They are fun and exciting, and it’s a good way to get new cards too and prove yourself as a player.

I hope this was an informative and fun article to read, and I hope to hear some great tournament reports from your first events Very Happy

Cheers,
PW

P.S. – Feel free to ask any questions related to tournament playing.
Last edited by Pipeweed on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:00 am; edited 1 time in totalPipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:16 pm
I should probably point out that you now have an hour to play the games instead of 45 minutes. Other than that great article for beginners in the tournament scene. I give it a 4.

WKBC
"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
Pipeweed
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:52 pm
Thanks WKBC. Actually, I just played in a tourney, and it was a 45 min time limit. Oh well.

PW
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!

MR. BOB
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:02 pm
i didnt no half that stuff :P ty this helped
Pipeweed
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:42 pm
I’m glad it helped you MR. BOB. I hope that you take this advice to tourneys in the area Smile

PW

CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:50 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Thumbs Up Great article! I know it might be strange to some people, since it’s not a deck article, but a great article! This deserves a 5.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Pipeweed
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:23 pm
Thanks CG. I’ve been thinking about an article like this for a while Very Happy

PW

Cobra
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:47 am
Definitely a good read for players new to the tournament scene, well done!

I thought you missed some opportunities to delve a little deeper and make this article useful to more experienced players. For example, you mention the importance of playtesting -- but how should LOTR TCG players playtest, and what should they playtest against? (That could almost be a whole article in itself...)

Also, I noticed a couple points that aren’t necessarily wrong, but could potentially be misleading:

Pipeweed wrote:
Everyone will receive a prize, not just the winner, so you will always get something for playing.

Often true, but not always -- prize support is totally up to the tournament organizers. Of course, you’ll definitely have fun, and you may make some good trades or receive some good deck advice, so regardless of what prizes you expect it’s well worth going!

Pipeweed wrote:
Try to know your opponent’s deck before the game. This will assist you in making critical choices.

Obviously the more knowledge you have, the better. "He is victorious who knows both his enemy and himself." (Ancient Chinese philosophy applied to LOTR TCG playtesting. Laughing) However, eavesdropping or trading info about your opponent’s decks during the actual tournament ("scouting") can give an unfair advantage and is technically against the rules. For casual local tourneys people may not mind, but DON’T scout decks at major events or when cash is at stake.

And finally, you forgot to mention that it’s good luck to refer all the other players you meet to Cobra Cards! Wink Dancing
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:51 pm
Well written, but I agree with pretty much everything Cobra said. Still, a solid 4 from me!
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:19 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
umm this is very helpful and informative and you get a 4 or 5 but I don’t see much strategy Very Happy
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest