LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 2 ]  33%

50%
  [ 3 ]  50%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
6FS
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:45 pm
--- description ---
This article reveals the awesome power of the knights of Minas Tirith combined with the crushing force of a Nazgul Swarm.
--- end description ---

Intro

Boromir is right when he describes the men of Gondor: "True-hearted men, they will not be corrupted. We of Minas Tirith have been staunch...". And so they have. The question is, "Are knights still a force to be reckoned with?" I believe they are. With the release of Bloodlines a while back, we got some new cards that really made knights fun to play with. While not you’re typical knight deck, this version is a lot of fun to play and nearly invicible if you use it correctly. Enjoy.

Sites

Caras Galadhon
Mount Doom
The Angle
Buckland Homestead
Woody End
Expanding Marshland
Window on the West
Trollshaw Forest
Cavern Entrance

Free Peoples

Ring: The One Ring, Ring of Rings
Ring-bearer: Boromir, Bearer of Counsel
Starting Fellowship: Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith
Madril, Faramir’s Aid

Companions
Elendil, High King of Gondor
Aragorn, Captain of Gondor
Isildur, Heir of Elendil
Garrison of Gondor
Radagast, The Brown x2

Possessions
Gondor Bow x4
Banner of Westernesse x2
Footman’s Armor
Catapult
Kingsfoil

Artifacts
Narsil
Scroll of Isildur
Sapling of the White Tree x4

Conditions
Houses of Healing x4
Strong and Old
Sixth Level x4
Fifth Level x3
Garrison of Osgiliath
Fourth Level x3
Citadel of the Stars
King’s Legacy

Events
Guarded City x3
Hidden Knowledge
Well-Traveled

Shadow

Minions
The Witch-king, Morgul king x4
Ularie Cantea, Faster than Winds x3
Ularie Lemenya, Eternally Threatening x3
Black Rider x4
Ularie Nelya, 3rd of 9 x4
Ularie Toldea, Black Shadow x4
Ularie Attea, Black Preditor x2

Artifacts
Ithil Stone x3

Conditions
Ghastly host x4
A shadow Fell over Them x3
Moving this Way x4
They Feel the Precious x2

Events
There Came a Cry x3
Riders in Black x3

The Strategy

Now, at first glance, this many appear to be complete insanity. After all, it’s impossible to run a 92 card draw deck, right? Well, as I mentioned before, this is no ordinary knight deck. Here’s how it works. The goal is to have all your Free peoples cards in play by site 4. Impossible? Think again.

Ideally, you’d like to go first but don’t bid a lot. Corruption is this deck’s biggest weakness. Early on, play the shadow side as you get it and do whatever it takes to get both Denethor and Madril to site 3 safely. Don’t be concerned if your opponent gets ahead on the site path. You’ll even the score later.

Fellowship phase, site 3. This is where it gets fun (and a little complicated). Exert Denethor to whip a Houses of Healing out of you draw deck if you don’t already have a copy in play. Then, keep exerting him until you get Boromir armored up with 4 possessions (Footman’s Armor, Kingsfoil, Gondor Bow, and Banner). Heal Denethor as nessessary with Houses of Healing. Next, exert Denethor to grab your Guarded Citys, caking up the tokens on Houses of Healing so Denethor can keep healing. Continue to exert and heal Denethor to grab whatever you need from you draw deck. Don’t worry about the twilight pool, we’ll take care of that later. Just keep playing Free peoples cards to your hearts content.

After Denethor is exhausted and you have used up all 4 Houses of Healing and your token adding cards, you should have your entire Free People deck in play or in your hand. You also have a monstrous twilight pool, 7 companions, and a few threats thanks to using Hidden Knowledge. By this point, you’re probably wondering how in the world you’re going to survive site 4. After all, you opponent has had the opportunity to take his entire deck into hand so you’re toast, right?

Wrong. You got a little trick up you’re sleeve. Exert Madril to play the next 2 sites via Well-Traveled. Play Caras Galadhon as site 4 (so that each companion only has to face one minion) and Mount Doom as site 5 (ensuring that your opponent can’t switch the site 4 on you). Next, trasfer Narsil to Elendil so that Denethor dies. Then, use the threats to kill off Madril. You are now down to the ideal 5 man knight fellowship with all of your tricks in play.

Your fellowship should look like this:
Boromir is bearing the Ring of Rings and Footman’s Armor. He is 7 attack, 3 vitality, and 12 resistance (thanks to Elendil and Scroll of Isildur). With Footman’s Armor, his is almost impossible to overwhelm with 12 fortifications in play.
Aragorn bears a Gondor bow and a Banner. Use him to Fourth Level/Gondor Bow a minion and heal a companion. You can also use King’s Legacy’s text to make another companion damage +1 if you need to.
Elendil is your main fighter. With Narsil and a Gondor Bow, he is a 15 attack, 6 vitality monster that can handle almost any minion out there. Should you come across anything he can’t handle, use a Fifth Level to make that minion -12 attack. Again, if you need to yo can use King’s Legacy to pump another companion +2.
Isildur is another key companent is this deck. I would say he is your other main fighter. He should be bearing a Gondor Bow and a Banner. Again, use the Fourth Level/ Gondor Bow combo to chump a minion and heal 2 wounds (one via the Banner and another via King’s Legacy).
Garrison of Gondor is your chump companion here. He has a Gondor Bow and can provide a little archery fire, but kill him off as soon as your get Radagst.
Radagast is pretty self-explanitory. Play him as soon as possible and triple move your way down the site path, demolishing everything in your way.

A couple of other things need to be said about the Free peoples side. Use catapult to knock out your opponent’s conditions. I kow it’s not that reliable, but it’s the best Gondor’s got. Obviously, use Sixth Level to recover any fortfications you used in the skirmish phase. And finally, use Isildur’s ability to draw an extra card at the end of your turn. It sets you up for a nice shadow hand.

And, speaking of you shadow hand, I need to explain how to use the shadow side of this deck. The main idea is to swarm you opponent with big, fierce nazgul. After you’ve pull all of your Free Peoples cards at site 3, you will be getting 9 shadow cards at the start of your shadow phase (10 once you draw Ithil Stone). The strategy is pretty simple. Play as many nazgul as possible and rack up the threats so you can play more Nazgul for cheap via Ghastly Host.

The rest is basically self-explanitory. Use Moving This Way to cycle your hand because you will probably end up with doubles of some nazgul in your hand. Use the Witch-King to bring back whatever you need from your discard pile. Rider’s in Black can be used to pump your minions and Toldea and the Witch-king can keep bringing it back. They Feel the Precious is in to help you survive archey decks and you can remove possessions with Cantea and conditions via Nelya and Buckland Homestead.

Well, that’s it. Let me know what you think. I don’t have enough money to buy all the rares nessessary to build this deck so I’ve never actually used it in a tournement. Anyway, if there is anything that could be done to improve it, please let me know. Thanks.
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:50 pm
Okay, whooo, new members just keep popping up... wowza! Welcome!

Did you say that Well-Traveled was the way you played the next two sites? All I saw was exert Madril, maybe I just read it wrong.

Looks nice though, I love the Killing Madril and Denethor deal. Die, useless companions, die! I also love the big beefy nazzy swarm concept! (I use it myself quite a lot).

Against corruption or NG, you’re just asking to die. With every one of their shadow cards in their hand (or at least most of them) and a twilight pool rivaling the size of mount doom, you’re going down, easy. Think: They stole it with half their deck in hand? Not pretty. And corruption: the only problem with nazzie corruption is this a) not getting the right cards at the right time and b) not having enough twilight. You solve both those problems for them!

Uruk Hunters: If denethor dies, you’re screwed, yet again. If madril dies, you don’t have the much-needed Caras Galadhorn.

A good and unique combo, I love it when someone comes up with a new idea around here!

It seems like more than just a deck, but less than an article. Probably a high 3 or low 4 from me. I’m sorry, I think this probably should have gone in the deck clinic, its more than what usually gets posted there, but the point of an article is a particular strategy idea, not just a deck and explaination. You should have made a deck out of your strategy, not a strategy out of your deck. Like: Here’s my idea, here’s the cards I want to use and why I want to use them, plus some others that fit the theme. Then, you use those cards to build a deck.

Say strength. Not attack. THIS ISN’T YUGIOH or whatever you’re getting that from. Strength. Its just a pet peev of mine.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:22 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Umm...exactly how do you plan on circumventing the Rule of 4?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:27 pm
Wow, reading the whole article, I hadn’t thought of that... Embarassed

Yah, he’s right, you can’t draw or take into hand more than four cards in one fellowhsip phase.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:33 pm
I was fairly sure that something didn’t quite feel right, and then I remembered just what Denethor’s ability is. But it was a nice idea...he just needed to remember those essential rules...

After that, the deck has some major troubles with cycling. So...not as nice as it seems, but a very good effort. (BTW, some of your card titles aren’t linking...you might want to re-type them. Sorry, that’s my personal pet peeve with LOTR...)
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
6FS
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:15 pm
Oh, shoot. I completely forgot about that. Embarassed That kind of make this deck pointless then. Thanks for the feedback though guys.
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:22 pm
still a pretty cool idea tho Very Happy
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:53 pm
6FS wrote:
Oh, shoot. I completely forgot about that. Embarassed That kind of make this deck pointless then. Thanks for the feedback though guys.

Don’t worry, I’ve done it too. Just search for the "Fried Frodo" articles...
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:21 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I was thinking "wowwhat a great idea".
Even though it doesn’t work don’t be discouraged. You took a deck type that has been very stadardized and added some orginal strategy.

you had great formatting and, except for some no-links, your article’s grammar and style was great. Were it not for the rules issue this would have been a pretty nice article.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:21 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Dude, that was awesome! Too bad it doesn’t work, but still, great thinking! And to CG: yep, those Fried Frodo articles were crazy as hell, but I still liked the concept, I mean, let’s face it, Frodo is just a plain bad card in most decks, I mean, you actually have to build a deck to protect him, rather than hacking away some Orc! Laughing
Keep trying, and "article-up" this a little more, and you’re on for a treat!
Oh, and speaking of which, behold guys! I’m writing a LotR article for this month’s Contest! (I wonder how that’ll turn out to be Rolling Eyes )
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest