LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
PorterTroll
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:34 pm
--- description ---
This deck uses the texts of both Elladan and Elrohir to frustrate your opponents to the point of crying by overwhelming even their most powerful minions. Enjoy!
--- end description ---

Freeps: 35

Companions:
Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom (s)
w/ The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Elladan, Son of Elrond (s)
Elrohir, Son of Elrond (s)
Gil-Galad, Elven High King
Elrond, Venerable Lord
Cirdan, The Shipwright x2

Events:
Seclusion x4
Defiance x4
Fleet-Footed x4
Final Shot x3
Still Needed x4
Attunement x3
Careful Study

Conditions:
Glimpse of Fate x2
Shadow Between x2

Posessions:
Aiglos
Narya, Ring of Fire

Freeps Strategy:
This deck is built to run like crazy, hence the title of the article, "Sprintin’ Twins". How does it do this you ask? I designed the free peoples so that virtually nothing would ever have to be played in the fellowship phase. The only cards that actually have a twilight cost during the fellowship phase are the companions and Shadow Between. This is a pretty self-explanatory strategy, you overwhelm big minions with Cirdan or the Twins then move again every turn in hopes of an easy free peoples victory.

Here is an example that might help you play with this deck. On the field he has a castamir with two wounds (for a total of 18 strength) and a black numenorian (12 strength) out. Your freeps have Elladan, Elrohir, Cirdan, and Elrond with one wound on Cirdan. (this is an actual example that happened last night against maxidoodles refuge deck.) In my hand I have 2x still needed, 2x fleet-footed, final shot, and defiance, and I have 8 events in my discard pile. I assign the castamir to Elladan and the numenorian to Cirdan. Elladan’s skirmish I play a fleet footed to make the numenorian strength -4 (now 8 strength), then I play defiance, Elladan is now strength 9 to the numenorian’s 6. Then I play Still Needed (not placint it on top of my draw deck) to make Elladan 11 to the numenorians 4. The numenorian dies. Now for the Castamir. I play another fleet-footed to make the castamir strength -2, now hes’s 16. Then I play the other still needed (placing this one on top of my draw deck) and the final shot. Cirdan is now strength 11 to the castamirs 16. I then exert Cirdan to make the Castamir strength -13. The castamir is now strength 3 to Cirdan’s 11. The Castamir dies. Then I move again and repeat the process. This is just one example of what the power of elven events can do. Why, just yesterday I used Cirdan to overwhelm the Balrog by making it strength -20!

Card Choices:

Elladan, Son of Elrond-Obviously the reason I chose him as one of the main characters in this deck is for his text that allows me to play as many events as I want without having to fret about flooding the pool.

Elrohir, Son of Elrond-This twins text is, if anything, MORE important than the last ones. He allows me to knock off two strength from a minion skirmishing him EVERY time I play an event in their skirmish!

Celeborn, The Wise-He allows me to muster when I double move as well as take an event into hand from my discard pile every time I move in the regroup phase.

Cirdan, The Shipwright-Another obvious choice for this deck, he can exert to make a minion skirmishing him strength -1 for each Elven event in my discard pile! (Overwhelm Sauron Anyone?)

Elrond, Venerable Lord-Most people encouraged me to use Elrond, Witness to History in this deck, but I feel that this Elrond is the much better choice. Why, you ask? Well, combined with Still Needed, I can heal an elf (usually Cirdan) EVERY time I assign him to a skirmish!

Narya, Ring of Fire-This ring is only used for adding vitality to Cirdan, but it can be used in a tight spot to get 5 or so tokens off of a Black Sails of Umbar.

Nenya, Ring of Adamant-Although this ring does give Galadriel the extra boost of vitality, it is mainly used as a last resort of healing if you need cirdan’s effect one more time.

Shadow Between-This gives me a TON of healing potential, as well as allowing me to cycle!

Glimpse of Fate-This is an awesome card to have out when you’ve got his enduring shelob down to 4 strength but you just cant overwhelm it. Then you just blow one more event and sent her down to strength 0 by losing initiative!

Careful Study-This is a one time event that will allow me to get at least one double move done with realative ease.

Attunement-This is an all around fantastic event, it allows me an automatic strength +2 bonus, or +4 bonus if I put Still Needed on top of my draw deck!

Still Needed-This event is a standard +2 bonus, but it’s extra stacking effect makes it an incredible event! It’s like having a clip of infinite ammo!

Final Shot-This is the event that I usually bring into hand when I double move with Celeborn. It’s an automatic strength +5 bonus for any of your elves if you’ve moved again this turn (which you do almost every turn anyway)!

Fleet-Footed-This is my personal favorite event. It allows for easy overwhelming of smaller minions (such as gollum) and is an automatic strength -4 when I use it in either Elladan’s or Elrohir’s skirmish.

Seclusion-Duh! Condition Removal!

Defiance-This card is an automatic strength +2 bonus every time or +4 if skirmishing a Nazgul. The reason I use it is because I play against Nazgul decks a LOT!

Shadow 35

Minions
The Witch-King, Captain of the Nine Riders x3
Ulaire Nelya, Fell Rider x2
Black Rider x4
Ulaire Toldea, Wraith on Wings
Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One x2
Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin x2
Ulaire Enquea, Black Threat x2
Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow x3
Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders

Conditions
Lost in the Woods x3
Dark Powers Strengthen x2
Minas Morgul Answers x3
Unending Life x2
Moving This Way x3
Hatred Stirred x2

Shadow Strategy
Before people critique my shadow side, keep in mind, it is NOT a killing shadow! It is meant only to slow down my opponent long enough for my freeps to run ahead. The main goal of this shadow side is to cycle all of the nazgul beneath my deck and draw all of my events into hand. I’ll usually play 2 or so Nazzies then reveal the rest from my hand and put them beneath my deck to draw cards with Moving This Way.

Card Choices

The Witch-King, Captain of the Nine Riders-A strong, fierce, toil 2 minion that can be played to slow down my opponents, his muster ability also helps the cycling process.

Black Rider-A cheap nazgul that has potential to be beastly!

Ulaire Toldea, Wraith on Wings-A free nazgul when I have initiative.

Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow-Recycles my Minas Morgul Answers and Dark Powers Strengthen.

Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One-a potential damage +2 minion that can automatically kill a weaker companion. This GREATLY discourages double moving.

Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin-Automatic Kill for large fellowships.

Ulaire Enquea, Black Threat-Helps me play my toil events for less twilight.

Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders-Grants me hand extension in a tight spot.

Unending Life-HUGELY discourages large fellowships, it’s healing text also allows me to keep Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien at bay.

Ulaire Nelya, Fell Rider-I don’t use the mounted text, but the wound prevention is very helpful against archery.

Hatred Stirred-Helps me recycle Wraith cards into my draw deck.

Minas Morgul Answers-Discards conditions.

Moving this Way-Crazy cycling ability!

Lost in the Woods-Discourages double moving by weakening their strongest companions.

Dark Powers Strengthen-Card Drawing.

Adventure Path
It doesn’t matter which ones you pick, as long as their forests!

Matchups

Bound To It’s Fate Corruption-Hahaha, oh, you were serious? This deck OBLITERATES this kind of corruption due to the fact that it can consistently beat the porter troll and mocking goblin in a skirmish, not to mention that I always have an extra event in hand for bound to its fate to discard.

Swarm-This deck can survive that quite easily, since the skirmish events work for the ring bearer too!

Nazgul Corruption-This deck can survive against it, but nazgul corruption is a difficul matchup for this deck.

Evil Men Archery-When played correctly, this deck can pose a very serious threat against your fellowship.

Corsairs-Since this deck uses NO posessions, corsairs are very easy to beat with this deck.

Ninja Gollum-Ninja Gollum is surprisingly not a very big problem for this deck, it rarely gives enough twilight for both shelob and gollum to come out at the same time. And even when they do both get out, it is fairly easy
to overwhelm shelob and/or golllum anyway.

Moria Bomb-Although I have never used this deck against this shadow, I suspect that it could handle it with ease. This is so because even if they get four or so orcs (about 5-6 strength each) on the ring-bearer, I can still use events on galadriel to boost her strength. Also, this deck gives out virtually no twilight so it could be potentially difficult for the shadow player to get all of his minions out, thus clogging his freeps hand.

Hunter Uruks-This is perhaps the most difficult matchup for this deck since they can use Marhir to kill of companions like gil-galad or elrond early in the game.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my article! Please feel free to offer advice that you deem worthy.

PS: My deck description didn’t show up under the title of my article in the forum, sorry!
Last edited by PorterTroll on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:03 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Article or decklist? Except for the match-ups, this looks too much like a decklist for my liking. But it is a solid deck. I’d just like to see some more writing to make it interesting.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
PorterTroll
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:09 pm
I’d be happy to edit it to add more "writing", but what would you like me to add?
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:20 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Step through your deck and explain it. Talk about what your goal is and how you want to get to it. Then show how your deck meets those requirements. I’d love to see something more than one sentence per card.

I’d also like to see some more fleshing out of the match-ups. Yes, I can see why this deck owns Bound to its fate corruption, but does everyone?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
PorterTroll
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:24 pm
Sure, i can go back and change some stuff, but not right away, im very busy today and i wrote this article in about 20 minutes anyway. ill be sure to edit it when i have time though.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:26 pm
Good article, although it looks more like a deck than a strategy article. It could have used a little more meat, and you’re missing a few match-up options. It gets a 3 from me!
I had to put something here.
PorterTroll
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:38 pm
I only included the matchups that i personally play against
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:37 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
yeah a good enduring nazzie corp or archery deck(any culture0 will kill.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
PorterTroll
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:41 pm
actually, enduring nazgul are quite easy to defeat with this deck, due to the fact that elladan and elrohirs ability effectively negates their strength bonuses
Gate Troll
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:02 pm
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
Its a good deck overall but the article could us a little more
writing. But thats just my Two Cents. I give the article a 4.
Good job. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest