LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
TheShyzle
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:43 am
--- description ---
I know that Seth Maser took second at worlds with a Ringbound Hobbit/ Evil Men Archery deck and if you play against a deck like it it is easy to see why.
--- end description ---

Frodo Resolute Hobbit
The One Ring The Ring of Doom

Starting Fellowship

Sam Great Elf Warrior
Bilbo Aged Ring-bearer
Smeagol Simple Stoor

Free People’s Side 33 Cards

Phial of Galadriel The Light of Earendil
Mithril Coat Dwarf Mail
Sting Weapon of Heritage
Deagol Fateful Finder x4
Daddy Twofoot Next Door Neighbor x2
The Gaffer Master Gardener
No Visitors x4
Still Far Ahead x2
Gladden Homestead
Safe Passage
There’s Another Way x4
Herbs and Stewed Rabbit x4
A Promise x4

Shadow Side

Grima Footman of Saruman x2
Mumak Commander Giant Among the Swertings x2
Fletcher of Harad
Archer of Harad x4
Ferocious Haradrim x2
Mumak Rider x4
Voice of the Desert Southron Troop x2
Desert Wind
Ulaire Nelya Third of the Nine Riders x3
Elevated Fire x4
Precision Targeting x4
Howdah x4

Site Path

Crags of Emyn Muil
Anduin Banks
Courtyard Parapet
Neekerbreekers’ Bog
Ettenmoors
Pelennor Flat
Caras Galadhon
Wold Battlefield
Dammed Gate Stream

Let me start with card choices and then a little strategy.

Frodo Resolute Hobbit You need the high resistance these days with all the corruption lurking about as well as adding the burdens with the followers.

The One Ring The Ring of Doom I think this is the best ring that has been made. Who even uses hunter minions anyway?

Sam Great Elf Warrior He is good for the ring toss and at 7 strength (when Bilbo isn’t fighting he can survive until you get some gear and Promises out.

Bilbo Aged Ring-bearer He is a must have in this deck to keep your burdens in check.

Smeagol Simple Stoor + There’s Another Way x4 +Herbs and Stewed Rabbit x4 = BEAST. There’s Another Way helps you get site’s you need back.

Phial of Galadriel The Light of Earendil This is a small resistance boost for Sam and the mustard is always good.

Mithril Coat Dwarf Mail I put this in for those pesky Nazgul, Castamir, and Trolls.

Sting Weapon of Heritage More strength for Sam and burden removal if he wins. Yummy

Deagol Fateful Finder Gets out your gear for Sam and makes Smeagol a freak-nasty pimp.

Daddy Twofoot Next Door Neighbor to get back the No Visitors

The Gaffer Master Gardener strength and healing the total package baby

No Visitors A Promise Duh

Still Far Ahead Site path manipulation is a key in this deck so I squeezed a couple in.

Gladden Homestead Helps to get a condition or two out of the way (for a second) and it clogs the shadow players hand for a turn.

Safe Passage Does anyone know the Heimlik (sp) I’m choking.

Shadow Side

Grima Footman of Saruman He’s sickly but if anybody hits the dead pile look out. The extra vitality is also good for toiling the Elevated Fire.

Mumak Commander Giant Among the Swertings Nuf Said
Fletcher of Harad, Archer of Harad , Ferocious Haradrim You need archers in an archer deck.
Mumak Rider Possesion removal and you need archers in an archer deck. (did I say that already)

Ulaire Nelya Third of the Nine Riders gets your Anduin Banks on.

Elevated Fire, Precision Targeting, Howdah You need to increase the archery total in an archery deck.

Site Path

Crags of Emyn Muil You double you die

Anduin Banks You swell up your fellowship you die

Courtyard Parapet gets the burdens on to trigger Archer of Harad and makes Neekerbreekers’ Bog effective.

Ettenmoors, Wold Battlefield, Pelennor Flat Plains for Mumak Rider
Caras Galadhon Swarm

Dammed Gate Stream If you go first you need a good site to play.

Strategy.

First of all I have to give credit to Ellington Homage for the fellowship build it is very similar to the one he beat the crap out of everyone with online for a while except I have a little more site manipulation.

The freepeople’s side may look puny but they a great at living long enough to slay people with archery. Some of the tricks are quite obvious. You can bid 2 and go second. Play Courtyard Parapet if you have a Nelya or a There’s Another Way to get it back with and when they move there discard any Deagol or Deagols you have to help pump Smeagol right away. You can fight with Sam but whatever you do don’t let him die. Put out your followers and cancel skirmishes with No Visitors getting them back with 2ft. Use Mithril Coat on Bilbo and that way you can remove 2 burdens, put a follower on him, exert to make the minion not fierce, and cancel the skirmish. I think my man Bilbo has had a few adventures of his own to be able to do all that. Frodo can fight if he needs to but I try to keep him out of it. If you don’t think Frodo can fight then rent Greenstreet Huligans and it will change your mind. He smokes, swears, and beats the crap out of all kinds of people. I try to play Safe passage right away and name plains unless your playing forest Guls and Rangers or something. Use your best judgment on this one. I don’t do a lot of doubling but if you can keep the pool low enough and you got the cards in hand to live through it, it can be done.

The shadow side is straight up bloody, giant Oliphant riding, butt kicking archery. The trick with it is the site manipulation. That’s why Nelly is there. Put the burdens on with the Courtyard and swap it out for Anduin Banks. Or you can move them to Neekerbreeker’s and swap it out for Anduin banks, just make sure you can get it back with a There’s Another Way if you are going to need it again. Nelya is great for playing at site 2 because your opponent won’t even know what they are playing against. (if you don’t play any other cards that is) I think the best thing about this deck is being able to make a shadow kill with only Grima on the table. Once you have your opponent on the ropes and all their companions are exhausted you can actually finish the game with him and an Elevated fire or two. Paleface Victory.

Matchups

Dwarves, Mirror Match (fellowship), and big fellowships are a breeze for this shadow.

Refuge decks can give you trouble but I don’t think it is an auto win for them.

Drawbacks for this deck are no possession removal for the fellowship so Grond and Corsairs can hurt you. No condition removal for the shadow side means Refuge sucks.

I would like to conclude by saying that I am not a newby to this game I have been playing since Two Towers came out and just because a person posts 50 times a day really dosen’t mean they know a lot about this game.
In summary Move slow fling arrows and don’t be a hater. Speak to the hand
Thanks for reading until next time Cool
Mike
Last edited by TheShyzle on Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:46 pm
I was at GenCon and I watched them play, and I can truly say that this deck is AMAZING!!!!!!! He literally cancelled EVERY skirmish, I’m almost surprised that he didn’t win.
TheShyzle
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:31 pm
Yeah the fellowship is suprisingly strong for only 4 companions. The shadow is tough as well. I wish they would get around to posting some decklists from worlds. Crying or Very sad
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:39 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I’m gonna pull yet another "CG moment", and give my signature line: it looks like a decklist with strategy notes, not an article. You can’t take a decklist, summarize what each card does, and then say it’s an article. It’s not. It’s just a dressed-up decklist. Maybe it’s the most awesome deck to ever be invented, but that doesn’t mean this article deserves a 5.

You’ve also got some grammar and punctuation problems, and those are distracting.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
fingolfin
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:43 pm
Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 321 Location: it's getting hotter in Iowa every day
But what did you do? as Cg said you took a deck and said what the Strat was, I don’t get it?
Soldier: why'd you do that captain?

John Wayne: Because I hate your guts!!

Exerpt from "Iwo Jima."
TheShyzle
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:37 pm
This is a strategy article contest. I gave the strategy of this deck. whoever rated this at a 3 I mean come on.... Confused
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
You gave the strategy, but not the article. (I think that’s gonna be my signature line from now on... Wink ) A decklist with strategy is simply not very interesting to read, no matter how good it is...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Gate Troll
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:44 am
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
It’s an okay article, but its a bit bare Neutral.
2 or 3. Neutral
TheShyzle
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:19 pm
I guess it is just fun to bomb on other peolpe’s articles.......I think I would give me a 1 just because it’s fun to do....Thanks for gaining another post at my expense.
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:12 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Pretty good artcile IMHO.
I don’t get what the 2 was for GT.
I give it a 4.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest