LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
valkir
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:55 pm
--- description ---
I tried mixing Gollum with Balrog, the outcome is not always fully satisfying.
--- end description ---

I saw this kind of deck here, but I thought that it just took a small bite of a big cake, which - in my opinion - is such a risky mix. My point was not to make the Balrog repeat himself, but to use it and strenghten with Gollum supreme wounding abilities.

Minions:

1x The Balrog, Terror of Flame and Shadow
1x The Balrog, Flame of Udun
1x The Balrog, The Terror of Khazad-dûm

3x Shelob, Her Ladyship
2x Gollum, Skulker
1x Gollum, Mad Thing

1x Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow

4x Goblin Runner

1x Uruk-Hai Scout

Other stuff:

4x Captured by the Ring
3x Horribly Strong
2x Frenzied Attack
1x Slippery as Fishes

2x Final Cry
3x The Balrog’s Sword
2x The Whip of Many Thongs
1x Fill with Fear
2x Foul Things
2x Dark Places

(37)
Explanation:

As you can well see, it’s a very chaotic - this is because I’m experimenting and trying to add new cards almost after each game, so that’s the current state. Balrog’s are quite obvious - Flame of Udun as a big kick on 5th site (fotr block), but it’s to be changed, as ToK proved to be a lot more powerful; ToFaS and ToK can be played on every site, and on underground they do gain special abilities (respectly less twilight cost/fierce+invulnerability), and that’s why I put Uruk-hai Scout in - I turn 8th site into an underground one and it gets hot for the Free Peoples player. Shelob, Her Ladyship is here for help and sometimes - especially when facing archers - can prove more than just useful. She kicks out the strongest character for the skirmish, so she makes up a good combo with Balrog, as long as there’s enough twilight on the table. Gollum activates her abilities, so that’s one reason for him, and the second one - threats, with Captured by the Ring. Can do a lot of damage with that. Runners add up twilight, and Ferny’s a little bonus, which once proved to be a perfect shot, as on the second site I’ve put him out with Gollum, Skulker and overwhelmed Frodo, not yet ready for banging his head. As I’ve said, he remains as a bonus.

Horribly Strong and Frenzied Attack are to support Shelob and Balrog with wounding. Slippery as fishes make Gollum able to win a skirmish. Balrog’s Sword and Whip of Many Thongs are obvious, Final Cry crushes the strongest characters. Dark Ways add strength and enable me to change the 5th site if it’s not the Stairs. Foul Things let me get the Balrog back, and Filled with Fear gets rid of archery and items like Aragorn’s Bow.

Changes of which I am conscious right now - I’ll add Grima, Wormtongue to make my life easier, then probably add Foul Things too. What are your opinions?
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:32 pm
I don’t have much time, but I just wanted to say that Led Astray is much better than Goblin Runner in a deck like this. It adds more twilight, and can switch the site to whichever site you need (effectively eliminating the need for Uruk-hai Scout).

Oh yeah, and you might want to watch out for Ithilien Blade... it’s an evil card to use against decks like this. Final Strike can counter it quite well.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
valkir
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:58 am
I’ve already thought about Led Astray, but as far as I know it only refers to the shadow sites, while I play on the fotr block ones, because they just give more twilight, needed for Balrog.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:51 pm
Hmm, well, Fellowship sites are only legal in Fellowship block, and this definitely isn’t Fellowship block. Mr. Green

The new Shadows sites often add more twilight than the previous blocks, if you count in the twilight added for each region (3 for Region 2, and 6 for Region 3).
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
kalai.dragunov
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:36 am
The idea is good, but the follow-up is terrible. The cards do not blend, and although the uruk-hai scout is a great idea, you’re not going to get enough of them to make them worthwhile. Please put more time into making your next deck.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard