LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:07 pm
--- description ---
This article focuses on a brand new format based on a format from Magic: the Gathering.
--- end description ---

We will start with me and a couple buddies bored at my house one day. So, we decided to make up a different format for the Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game. We started thinking of different games and the different formats that they had. One format in particular that stuck in our head was Mana Drop from Magic: The Gathering. We sat there and though and thought until our brains turned to mush and finally we had a set of rules that allowed us to do the same thing with LotR. So without further ado this is the set of rules that we came up with and some explanations of why.

Deck Size:
The minimum deck size was increased to 90 cards. The reason for this is that when we were playtesting we were decking out at site four. So, obviously we decided we need bigger decks.

Hand Size:
We increased the hand size to 15 cards. A lot of you guys are familiar with this if you have had a run in with Magic. This allows for us to drop a ton of fellowship cards or a ton of shadow cards, thus either giving or taking lots of twilight. Along with this we decided that instead of being able to discard just one you may discard two cards instead.

Initiative:
Obviously we have to change the initiative since the hand size is double what it was before. Therefore if the Fellowship player has 7 or more cards in his hand then he has initiative.

Companions:
Everyone should be familiar with the rule of nine. We also increased this so that you avoid being killed by a stupid swarm even with nine companions. Now your fellowship can have an amazing 12 companions to help you run the ring to Mount Doom.

Regions:
The whole idea with this format is for lots of twilight. So, we doubled the twilight cost of the regions. Regions 1 is still the standard 0 cost. Region 2, however got raised to 6 twilight. Region 3 got raised respectively to 12 twilight.

All other aspects of the game are played normally. Most of the time when we were playing one of us was dead by site seven. We even got my father to play a couple games with us. Fell free to try this out. We had a lot of fun coming up with this format and playing and changing rules until we were happy with it.

Cheers,
WKBC
"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:41 pm
sounds like fun! my troll deck would love this format! Very Happy
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:57 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
umm did you miss post this should be in open LOTR discussion.

unless you add a good deck for this format and stuff
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:40 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
As an overview of a new format, this is good. But as a strategy article???

I’d love to see a strategy written for this format.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm
This topic has been moved to Open Discussion.
I had to put something here.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:05 pm
Umm...how do you get rid of the poll?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:34 pm
OK sorry guys but still feel free to rate it like an article cuz I want to see what you guys think anyways.
MySpace
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 pm
Hey, don’t worry about it. I’d love to see a deck strategy for this format! Are you up to it?
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:06 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Thanks AP.
Nice idea WKBC, I just don’t think it should be an article.
Still i was well written. Smile
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:25 pm
Yeah but I have to remember my old deck cuz it kicked some butt. I know it was dwarves and orc corruption or something like that. Other than that feel free to play it and let me know what you guys think and hey maybe if we get enough ppl it can actually be a new format.
MySpace

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion