LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

33%
  [ 2 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
Cobra
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:18 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Actually, each deck is linked to a decklist on the Wizards’ site...

Oops, my mistake. I looked briefly at some of the linked pages, but wasn’t familiar with that part of the Wizards site, so I didn’t immediately realize you had to click another button to see the actual decklist. d'oh!

EDIT: Total prices to build these decks at Cobra Cards is a nice touch! Applause
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
inresponse
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:04 am
well, after my initial skim I think your list of good cards is waaaaaay off. the decklists seem generally ok, and the match up advice is surprisingly sound. I will do a more complete run through of your article, but it looks like you’ve hit most of the major issues.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:21 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
inresponse wrote:
well, after my initial skim I think your list of good cards is waaaaaay off.

If you’d like to tell me what to include/take out and why, I’d be happy to edit it accordingly! Wink

inresponse wrote:
the match up advice is surprisingly sound. I will do a more complete run through of your article, but it looks like you’ve hit most of the major issues.

Thanks for the compliment! Very Happy

Full list of prices is up and running! Thanks everyone for dropping by, and for the compliments so far. Any more ideas are welcome!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:52 pm
They banned ravager and his artifact lands while they were in standard...

Anyways, that’s just me being picky. I thought it was great that you used the official Wizards data to generate the top deck lists. Great use of resources and you wrote nice little blurbs about them.

As for the list of good cards thing, I think you hit most of the important things... but you did add some chaff like avatar of dischord, which is definately overkill. Also, Leyline of the void, doubling season, and remove soul are unneccessary. Perhaps you could try making a small list of like ten of the most powerful cards, then list these others. I think it was a little too big.

I know you wrote this before Time Spiral previews... and I think that’s a little bit silly. By the end of the month, we’ll have a full spoiler and these decks will be obsolete. So it seems to me like it’s a little bit irrelevant right now.

P.S. mtgsalvation.com has the spoiler for time spiral. There’s some crazy stuff I recommend checking out!!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:09 pm
Well, this article is intended to run for this month’s Contest, and Time Spiral won’t be tournament legal until next month, so it’s not that "outdated".
And, once Time Spiral’s official spoiler is out, I’m writing an article like the one I did on Coldsnap (hopefully, with less mistakes Wink ).
I might shorten that good cards list, though... Think
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:00 pm
By outdated, I don’t mean literally... I mean you’re not pulling from the new information that is coming. It’s just not new, not really outdated.
inresponse
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:35 pm
the format is around for two months and there are plenty of people who have fnms during that time. if you want to play during that period, it is very useful to have a guide like this. also, many of these decks are going to transfer almost entirely or will transform to accomadate time spiral. this article is perfect for this month and even for the future when preparing for the next standard season because you can use it as a guide to find out what decks to expect in the metagame at your local store, as well as to give you a rock solid base for what decks to play for the next month.

Don’t dis an article for issues that don’t exist. However, you are definitely correct on his list of good cards.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:09 pm
Um... I have Time Spiral as coming out the 6th of October (less than a month). I know this may be different for members in countries outside the U.S., but to me, this is only good under a month.

I must say I’m looking forward to your article on Time Spiral.
inresponse
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:31 pm
time sprial will not be legal until october 20th. also as previously stated the decks listed here will still form the backbone of the format until new archetypes emerge, which will definitely not be in one month.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:28 pm
inresponse wrote:
the format is around for two months and there are plenty of people who have fnms during that time. if you want to play during that period, it is very useful to have a guide like this. also, many of these decks are going to transfer almost entirely or will transform to accomadate time spiral. this article is perfect for this month and even for the future when preparing for the next standard season because you can use it as a guide to find out what decks to expect in the metagame at your local store, as well as to give you a rock solid base for what decks to play for the next month.

Don’t dis an article for issues that don’t exist. However, you are definitely correct on his list of good cards.

Hey, man, I can’t say how flattered I feel for the compliment! Could you two point me in the right direction about the card list? How exactly do you think I should edit it? You see, I wrote it thinking of new players. I know a lot of that does not have to be there, but wouldn’t it be sad for a new player to trade, say, Kird Ape, or Watchwolf, for Rimewind Taskmage? Wink
Well, point me towards somewhere, and I can work on that right away! Very Happy
And, again, thank you all for the compliments, I took a nice bit of time to write this and edit it, glad you liked it! Mr. Green
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest