LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
maxidoodle
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:46 pm
--- description ---
My version of the Refuge Rainbow that I used at Junior Worlds during GenCon ’06 and won 2nd place.
--- end description ---
Frodo, Weary from the Journey
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Sites
(0) Isenwash
(1) Neekerbreekers’ Bog
(1) Slag Mounds
(1) Ettenmoors
(2) Wold Battlefield
(2) Stables
(3) Harrowdale
(3) The Prancing Pony
(3) Mount Doom

Free Peoples
Legolas, of the Woodland Realm (starting)
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien (starting)
Smeagol, Always Helps (starting)
Aragorn, Thorongil
Eomer, Horsemaster
Radagast, The Brown
Sam, Great Elf Warrior
Arwen, Queen of Elves and Men
Haethen, Veteran Fighter
Tolman Cotton, Farmer of Bywater
Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
Merry, Swordthain x2
Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftain
Erkenbrand, Master of Westfold
Refuge x3
Unheeded x3
Shadowplay x3
Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
Spear of the Mark
Firefoot, Eomer’s Steed
The Tale of the Great Ring
Riddermark Javelin
Dinendal, Mirkwood Archer
Seclusion x3
Birthday Present x2

Shadow
Castamir of Umbar x3
Corsair Marauder x4
Black Numenorean x3
Corsair Plunderer x4
Black Sails of Umbar x4
Ships of Great Draught x3
Corsair War Galley x4
Wind That Sped Ships x3
Quelled
Fierce in Despair
Under Foot x2
Let Her Deal With Them x2
Gollum, Plotting Deceiver

Many people are curious as to how this deck works, and I have to admit, it looks complicated at first glance. So... I’ll walk you through it.

It is very similar to my original Refuge Rainbow, packing lots of companions for massive healing, but this deck revolves around destruction. I prefer to dump out Smeagol, Eowyn, and Legolas to start. After I bid 2 or so, I go first and pull Aragorn, Thorongil with the Prancing Pony. Now, I already have a beastly fellowship, but it gets even better. Merry or Pippin generally follows Aragorn, either on site 1 or 2, and Shadowplay comes into the picture. Now that Shadowplay is out, Ferny is pretty much useless; and when I get another copy into play, the shadow is screwed completely. But my favorite part of this deck is Smeagol. Smeagol + Unheeded = Death of Sauron, Death of Porter Troll, etc. You name it, it’s shishkabobed. Wink Then, Aragorn, Legolas, and Eowyn scrape off the leftovers. It’s a sprint to site 9. The corsairs are simply for slowing down, and sometimes, a shadow kill. Basically, if I know I can win with my freeps and my shadow won’t be effective, I’ll repeatedly use Corsair Plunderer to drop tokens on Corsair War Galley and Ships of Great Draught, then recycle Under Foot and Black Sails of Umbar. I’ve been able to get down to about 10 cards in my deck using this method, and my freeps is perfectly supplemented.

Throw in a Grimbeorn, an Eomer, and a Radagast and this deck is a sprinting machine. Badabingbadabangbadaboom. Very Happy

======================================

Jordan Lyons and I had the same record and SoS, but he was the only one to beat me, hence, breaking the tie.

This deck was so much fun to play. I got a few shadow kills here and there too. Thanks to Merrick_Hale for running the tourney!
My deck of doom:
One Combo to Rule them All

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
PorterTroll
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:03 pm
I play against this deck all the time and it is quite fun to play against! Very Happy Although at first glance it looks like a jumbled mess of cards, I can assure any skeptics that this deck means business! Just one comment maxidoodle, when I play against this deck you don’t usually use the smeagol/unheeded combo. (I personally think you should use it more often, after all, it is an insta-kill! Twisted Evil ) You usually just chump smeagol in region one when you need to sacrifice someone to the trolls.
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:06 pm
Does unheeded + smeagol really work? When you are exhuasting a minion, isn’t that different from being exerted?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
PorterTroll
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:08 pm
Exhausting is exerting a minion to the point where it can no longer be exerted, so when you exhaust a minion, you are technically exerting them until they only have one vitality left. Yeah, it’s nasty! Twisted Evil
Pegasus
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:08 pm
Yes, this description is OK. I hate this combo... Mad
TheShyzle
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:34 pm
Looks like a cool deck I like the Shadowplay Unheeded combo you added to the standard refuge build. Good job!
LOOK HERE:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5185
maxidoodle
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:33 pm
PorterTroll wrote:
I play against this deck all the time and it is quite fun to play against! Very Happy Although at first glance it looks like a jumbled mess of cards, I can assure any skeptics that this deck means business! Just one comment maxidoodle, when I play against this deck you don’t usually use the smeagol/unheeded combo. (I personally think you should use it more often, after all, it is an insta-kill! Twisted Evil ) You usually just chump smeagol in region one when you need to sacrifice someone to the trolls.

Yah. I don’t know why, but I either don’t have an Unheeded or unbound hobbit whenever I have to chump smeagol. It’s like you’re a hex. Very Happy jk
My deck of doom:
One Combo to Rule them All

maxidoodle's Haves/Wants
PorterTroll
Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:17 am
by the way, I’ve gotta take you on with my new anarion deck sometimes, so far it’s 3-0! Very Happy

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard