LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 4 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:18 pm
I guess I just don’t like decks that lose because of color screw... I played Zoo ina tourney, and I lost a few games (and even matches!) that I shouldn’t have only because of color screw. I think that’s a terrible way to go down, so I don’t usually like playing so many colors at once without much mana fixing. Looks to me like if you don’t draw a ghost quarter, you could easily lose from color screw.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:40 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I liked the build! I like awkward decks, in fact, I’ll post one right now, that I think could have been a bomb in Standard (or at least a cool rogue), had anyone discovered it fast enough! Wink
And I don’t think it’ll be color-screwed that easily... Btw, LSG, you seem to have an unbearably huge bad luck in topdecking! Am I right? Laughing Seriously, you should try some consecration, or something like it! (hehehe, just kidding you!)
I don't like YOU.
inresponse
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:31 am
the nice thing about this deck is that almost all the cards are blue or colorless, so mana screw can be avoided by playing the blue cards and ironfoots early until you draw you rmana for the other cards. Also, guildmage takes advantage of not having 2 blue sources early because it can be cast with white.

I think post ts this deck will take a large turn away from blue cards in order to play hierarchs more consistently, as well as play selesnya guildmage and take more advantage of the loam engine with terramorphic expanse. trade routes would become the splash instead of green. But we will see, I can’t be sure yet.
c3poquino
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:25 am
Cool, new article! I liked the first build better, Shard Phoenix and Stalking Yeti are way too expensive to use 3 of each of them, I think. I’m kind of missing Wildfire. Also, you could consider tossing a set of the Urza lands, but that won’t make much of a difference in small numbers, and would lesser Skred. On the first build, I think that Azorius Guildmage costs too much to activate, you could risk Rimewind Taskmage or Squall Drifter... Heidar, Rimewind Master could replace some Boomerangs, although I’m not sure wether that’d slow down the deck too much. I miss Wrath of God in it... But I think it can live without it. Nice job with the decks, I just think you could add a little more body text to the article, it sometimes is a bit hard to read, and you could have talked a little more before laying decks and match-up lists. But I think you could make it cooler really fast.
r2d2quino
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:55 am
Didn’t like this one very much, but the decks seem powerful. I think Rimescale Dragon should be on your main-deck, it’s just so powerful! Also, it’s lacking match-ups for the second deck, I think you should add them.
I’m not sure about the first one, I think it’s risky, but I may be wrong, I’ll try it out later on Apprentice. Why didn’t you add cards from that site on the other article, mtgsalvation.com? Or there is no one good there?
inresponse
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:07 pm
so... the whole point of this article was to provide decks to play now or later, that is why there are no cards from the other site. Also, azorius guildmage is amazing. it usually taps down 6 and 7 drops, at which point you have the mana to tap down 1 single creature pretty easily. Urza’s lands don’t really fit... and also dilute the ability of scrying sheets considerably, as well as not actually doing anything for the deck and making getting to red mana much more difficult. Shard phoenix is very good at what it does, and the deck hits every land drop because of sheets as well as playing 24 lands. Squall drifter is terrible, as is taskmage since you will rarely have 4 snow permanents, and neither of those guys gets in for two, and can’t even attack if they want to use their abilities. Wildfire is one possibility I considered, but it kills all the guys in the deck. I wish there was a better win condition, like a grid monitor or something, but there just isn’t right now. Rimescale dragon was in the deck, but I just found that i like shard phoenix better in every match except solar flare. if you would like to play rimescale dragon in that slot it doesn’t really make a big difference. Heidar cannot replace boomerangs, since boomerang is mostly used in the early turns to bounce opposing lands. I didn’t provide match ups for the second deck because it is really easy to play, and most of the choices ar very obvious when playing. And stalking yeti costs 4 mana and is easily the second best card in the deck, he in no way costs too much.

I’m sorry to lump my responses to your two posts together, but it doesn’t even seem like you read the parts where I described the strategy of the first deck. It clearly needs the attacking power of the guildmage, as well as the speed of the boomerangs, both things which I explained in the article.

If you want an article with more sunstance I can easily write a theory article, but I’m pretty sure you would really not like it.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:10 pm
Oh, boy, you’re so toast! Laughing Now, c’mon, inresponse, cut the guy some slack for now, he’s like that, but he eventually comes around to apologizing for bad criticism. But yeah, read more carefully when posting a review, it can be annoying, I mean, you go through all the trouble to write a decent article, and someone "bombs" (ok, you didn’t get to this terms, but kind of) you for stuff you SAID in the article. I mean, inresponse SAID he wasn’t gonna post match-ups for the other deck IN the article. If you want those, then just ask.
To inresponse: I think his brother mentioned somewhere he’s somewhat new to the game, so I believe match-ups for the other deck would be good for him, and that’s why he probably wanted it. Oh, and about the Rimescale Dragon, check his Top Ten, in my article. He likes’em big! Wink Laughing
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:01 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Btw, LSG, you seem to have an unbearably huge bad luck in topdecking! Am I right? Laughing Seriously, you should try some consecration, or something like it! (hehehe, just kidding you!)

Seriously, I have crappy luck topdecking in tournaments. I own in casual with decking exactly what I need, but as the deck I play gets better, as the stakes get higher, the worse hands I get every time. It’s really annoying.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:12 pm
Tell me about it! I have a problem with life points. I usually wreck apart in Pre-Releases, but whenever my opponent reaches exactly 4 life, I can’t kill him, no matter what! I lost 8 games that I TOTALLY dominated in Coldsnap’s Pre-Release Tournament ’cause of that curse!
Btw, TOTALLY off-topic, just a burst of inspiration: I’m playing Mishra with Millstones and Jester’s thingies FOR SURE!
I don't like YOU.
c3poquino
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:28 pm
I told you he’s a noobie... (and by the way, that’s exactly why I don’t share cards with you, because you’re noobie and you’re sore) Razz

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest