LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
Gate Troll
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:44 am
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
--- description ---
Welcome to my first Article, it focuses primarily on a non-besieger threat deck: The Slaughterer/Peril Beatdown.
--- end description ---

Welcome to my first Article, it focuses primarily on a non-besieger threat deck: The Slaughterer/Peril Beatdown.
This article is constructed of little parts telling what each card does in the strategy.

Now lets get an overview of some
threat related cards:* *[There are no Besieger cards in this overview.]

Anguish:
Remove 3 threats to make a companion’s strength –3. Hmm Not a bad card though Mordor Veteran’s Gametext is, remove 3 three threats to make a minion strength +8. That’s 5 more strength
than Anguish but the same amount of threats removed.

Army of Udun:
“Shadow: Discard a Sauron Orc to add a threat,” reads the first part of Army of Udun’s Gametext. Shadow phase is a bad time to discard an orc- unless it is something like Mordor Soldier. The second part of Army’s gametext reads:
“Skirmish: Remove a threat to make Army of Udun strength +1.

Besieging Pike: The very name implies besiegers but it is actually more of a card that revolves around initiative.
With Some Secret Art of Flame it is effective, however on
The whole it isn’t the right card for a threat deck.

Breached:
A good way to kill companions. It is a Regroup event however
and you have to spot 2 Sauron Orcs and remove 4 threats.
The good outweighs the bad though and if there is only the
Ringbearer left Breached can end the game.

Fires Raged Unchecked:
Fires Raged Unchecked can help get your minions out for less
twilight, and then strengthen minions that are not roaming by
making each one strength +1.

Host of Udun:
Host of Udun is a good card for when you have a ton of threats.
A 21-strength monster of a minion, Host of Udun can kill off most
companions with ease, but Durin however, and other beatdown
companions can be a problem.

Legions of Morgul:
A semi-useful card. It sounds cool, but it is unique, costs 3,
and requires you to spot 2 Sauron Orcs. Given, it does add
three threats but you have to discard it during the Regroup Phase.

Mordor Assassin:
Mordor Assassin is an interesting card that has an interesting gametext. “Response: If a companion is overwhelmed during a skirmish involving a Sauron Orc, remove a threat to assign this minion to the Ring-bearer (Even if the Ring-bearer is already assigned.)” Mordor Orcs rarely overwhelm companions, so it the card’s worth is doubtable… … However, a 9/3 Orc on the Ring-bearer is nothing to sneeze at.

Mordor Defender:
Mordor Defender is a good threat-adding card, though I do not suggest using it against Elven Archery or Rohan decks with mounts; due to the fact that archery can wound [or kill] a minion, and mounts exert minions, but Defender has to exert
to add the threat [Which he can not do if he is already wounded.]
The same applies for Mordor Savage and Mordor Regular.

Mordor Fighter:
"While you can spot a threat and another Sauron Orc, Shadow
regardless of the Free People player’s hand.”
A good card for decks that revolve around initiative, however
not a big choice for a threat deck.

Mordor Guard:
Mordor Guard, in my opinion is a worthless card.
“Skirmish: Exert 3 Sauron Orcs to add 3 threats. When this minion is discarded remove 3 threats.” I think that this card is useless because you have to exert 3 minions to add the threats, but when the minion is discarded you have to remove 3 threats. My point is, all that is gotten out of it is three exertions on your Orcs. 3 threats come; 3 threats go and the only thing that lasts is 3 annoying exertions on your minions.

Mordor Regular:
This minion is a 3 8/2 version of the 2 7/2 Mordor Defender. This card is no more than a Mordor Defender with +1 strength and +1 twilight.

Mordor Savage:
Mordor Savage is the same as Mordor Defender and Mordor Savage except for its strength 10/2 and 4 cost as compared to Mordor Regular which is 8/2 and 3 cost and Mordor Defender
which is 7/2 and 2 cost.

Mordor Soldier:
A little 3/2 Orc that can be made strength +4 by removing a threat.
Can be used with Host of Udun to make it strength +1.

Mordor Trooper:
“Skirmish: Remove 2 threats to make a Mordor Orc strength +6.”
Useful and cheap, a good card.

Mordor Veteran:
An improvement on Mordor Trooper, Mordor Veteran is 9/3 and cost 3. Its gametext is, “ Remove 3 threats to make a [Mordor]
minion strength +8.

Rally the Host:
A wonderful little condition that can recycle Minions
back into the draw deck: “To play spot 2 Sauron Orcs.
Regroup: Exert a Sauron Orc and remove a threat to shuffle
a Sauron Orc into play from your draw deck.” This is a great
way to recycle minions, however it requires that a substantial amount of minions survive to the regroup phase.

Sauron’s Hatred:
“To play spot a Sauron Orc. Shadow: Remove a threat to play a Sauron Orc without paying the roaming penalty. Regroup: Spot a Sauron Orc and remove 4 to add a threat.” A good card to
get your orcs out un-roaming, it can work well with Fires Raged Unchecked, and if some orcs survive they can add a few threats.

Their Marching Companies:
This card is generally used with Besiegers, as the reliance on site control is very much a Besieger tactic. It is an Engine so there are some cards that can play off it, however its gametext is almost worthless in this situation. “Regroup: Remove a threat to stack a Sauron minion on a site you control. Shadow: Remove a threat to play a Sauron minion stacked on a site you control.”

Sauron, The Lord of the Rings:
I mention Sauron because threats can reduce his twilight. After all his twilight cost is –1 for each threat, burden and controlled site you can spot. Enough threats can get Sauron out relatively cheap.

Orc Ravager:
Orc Ravager has an awesome anti-condition Mechanic; “Shadow: Remove 2 threats to discard a condition.” This can deal a heavy blow to Freepeople sides that rely heavily on conditions. Dwarf token decks in particular do not react well to this deck.

Now that we have gotten overview of the cards lets pick some out for the deck as well as adding 8 Gollum culture cards.

Deck List: Shadow
Cards: 40

x4 Orc Slaughterer
x2 Orc Marauder
x3 Mordor Veteran
x3 Mordor Savage
x2 Mordor Regular
x1 Host of Udun
x2 Breached
x4 Orc Butchery
x2 Shelob her Ladyship
x4 Peril
x2 Web
x2 Larder
x2 Gollum, Plotting Deceiver

x4 Orc Butcher
x2 Mordor Trooper

40 cards, hefty but it is paired
with dwarven cycling.

Now we will get overview of the cards I picked and why I picked them:

Orc Slaughterer:
The key card of the deck,
Slaughterer + Peril = an 18 Strength exhausted
Orc Slaughterer, did I mention that he is free…

Orc Marauder:
Another good beatdown card
Who is strength +5 while you can spot 3
Mordor orcs; not a hard thing considering
that there are 4 slaughterers and 3 Perils in the
Deck, as well as 5 Butchers…

Mordor Veteran:
Helps the beatdown crew and has a decent
strength. He helps minions like Marauder
and Slaughterer in that he can remove 3
threats to make a minion strength +8…

Mordor Savage: Adds threats and has a good
strength..

Mordor Regular: Another threat-adding minion.
Also can help Larder…

Host of Udun:
An awesome beatdown unit and a good way to
use threats…

Breached:
Helps kill off extra companions, which is
good; the more companions dead the more
cards discarded with Orc Butchery. Also
helps Orc Butcher which relies on Conditions…

Orc Butchery:
Helps discard cards, Breached + Souped up
Slaughterer + Shelob and Orc Marauder
= Lots of companions in the dead pile and therefore
lots of discarded cards…

Shelob Her Ladyship:
Shelob is in here to primarily soak
up archery. After all, An exhausted
Slaughterer is the perfect target for archery…

Peril:
An awesome card! Peril + Orc Slaughterer
= an exhausted, therefore 18 strength Slaughterer
who is twilight cost –4, therefore free. A mega-powered
combo that is free; it won’t get much better…

Web:
An essential card. Only two copy’s of Shelob and
Gollum are needed but once you have one of each
out all that is needed is x1 Web, x1 Shelob and one
Gollum…

Larder:
Makes use of the x4 Orc Butchers and x2 Mordor Troopers
to boost Shelob’s strength. A decent Gollum Possession…

Gollum Plotting Deceiver:
Gollum can be played from the discard pile as well as being
Stacked on Web so this makes him easier to use again and again
He also can activate Shelob’s gametext…

Orc Butcher:
A good card to stack on Larder for Shelob.
The deck has x4 Perils, x2 Breached and
x1 Legions of Morgul to boost their strength…

Mordor Trooper:
Trooper can recycle threats into strength bonuses, or be
stacked on Larder.

When played right this can be a very fun deck to play and a good way to make your opponent blow smoke out of his ears! I hope you enjoyed this article, if so, look out for part 2 in the Sauron series!
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory."-George S. Patton.
PorterTroll
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:13 am
Good article, but I am a bit confused on some aspects of it.

•Peril+Orc Slaughterer-You do know that Peril is a regroup action right? You can’t use it to play a minion in the shadow phase. Yes, it is nasty with the Slaughterer, but it only works if they move again.

•Why do you have the Gollum culture cards in there? You said that you use shelob to soak archery, this may be a good idea in theory, but shelob is an expensive minion. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to use her just for the sake of archery absorption. Also, if you remove these Gollum culture cards it will make room for other cards that work with threats to be put in.

•It seems like a lot of the cards in here focus on initiative just as much or more than threat adding or removing. Try not to mix the strategies, when you try to do too much, you end up doing nothing.

Overall, nice job for a first time article writer! Very Happy Hope this helps!
ingold55
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:21 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
very nice article! i enjoyed it, and it was a good read. i have to agree with PT on his questions though. it was very good. wonderful article for your first time! Very Happy
Shadows
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:14 pm
good article, but some cards seemed a little pointless, and there are others that seem like they would help a lot.

try:

Gollum, Vile Creature (plays off your threats)
Captured by the Ring and Fat One Wants It (a very cheap and effective threat machine with gollum.)

also Rally The Host, as you mention is great for recycling minions, so it might be better to use than the somewhat removal prone web.

but otherwise great article, nice deck.
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:34 pm
Awewsome for your first try! Much better than my first one (looks at his first article, shudders).

On your explaination of Mordor Defender, I had to read it twice to fully comprehend what you were saying there. Also, my Language Arts teacher is probably going to be coming to your house with a knife tonight. ", but Durin however, and other beatdown companions could be a problem" *high-pitched scream of terror* However, I don’t like bashing articles because of poor grammar, because good grammar is not the point of the article.

It isn’t [Mordor], it’s [ sauron ]. There seemed to be some inconsitency on that in your article.

You don’t need to mention the game text of every card. It gets rather boring, and the cards have links for anyone who doesn’t already know what they do.

Gollum culture is a great splash, but please mention the cards you include and why you included them.

Why shelob? This is a threat deck. She’s a good minion, but doesn’t fit the theme.

Butcher is good, but you can find better.

I’m sorry, Peril doesn’t work the way you imply it does, it it keyed off in the shadow phase, it would be much too good. And there goes the biggest combo in your deck.

I’m sort of dissapointed that I only saw the cards, and what they did. I was looking for combos from card to card, and the ways you kill companions. For example, do you focus on playing breached, or overwhelming? How do you go about those strategies?

In your conclusion you say "When played right, this deck can be a very fun deck to play and a good way to make your opponent blow smoke out of his ears!" You didn’t tell us how to play the deck. For example, what cards should I play together? When should I play them?

I also agree that Gollum, Vile creature would be good, with Captured by the Ring and Fat One Wants it. It is probably also worth mentioning Plotting, which is an instant way to make Breached playable, and pump up Gollum and other threat removing minions.

I’m sorry if it looks like I’m dissing the article, it was very good for a first time, although I don’t like to go easy on first timers. At least it looked like you read other articles and looked at how to properly write an article. Well done!

I’m hovering between a 3 and a 4 right now. 4 is by far the most common rating here, but 5’s are (except for Felipe’s articles, and AC’s) rarely given. I think 4’s should be taken more seriously, but still, this article might be worthy of that rating.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
TheShyzle
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:14 pm
Good article. A good card to use with Orc Slaughterer is Speak No More to me if your just looking for an exertion to bulk him up a bit and you can clog thier hand with it as well. 40 cards seems to be a bit large. What Freeps do you pair this with?
LOOK HERE:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5185
Gate Troll
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:33 pm
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
A dwarf-token-cycle deck. I might post it.
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory."-George S. Patton.
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:27 pm
Don’t post it as part of the article, it’s not what this article is about.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Gate Troll
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:56 pm
No, no, no, I mean as a separate article. Laughing
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:50 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
GT, I must say: VERY, VERY good article! I’m really impressed that this is your first attempt! Your article was informative, was not at all boring, AND the deck itself seems to be pretty solid. Just some tips you might want to (or not, who knows) pay attention:
1- There are other cards that COULD fit into that strategy, yet you didn’t use them. Explain soe of them, so you show other Standard newbies (like me, for example) your way of thinking, and in the process you teach THEM to think better when putting a deck together.
2- Explore your choices: what ELSE could you use those cards for? Are they only good in this particular build? Why?
3- When I post a deck, I build it first (if I don’t have the cards, I use token cards for playtesting) and play against the most popular builds BEFORE posting it. You see, "Macth-ups" sounds more impressive as data than "Possible Match-ups".
4- I’ve discussed the metagame before, and I assume you know what it means. How diffrently should the deck be, depending on the meta? This means, if you have a bad match-up against a deck, and that deck starts showing up back to back in your area, would you change something in it? What could make it stronger against those bad match-ups?
As I said, this by no means diminish your article, it’s a very nice piece of work! I want to try out a few hands with the deck, so I can give in-depth criticism, and cast a better vote!
Still, Applause Homage (btw, I gave you a gp, besides the one(s) you’ll DEFINITLY get from my vote, you deserved it)
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest