LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

75%
  [ 3 ]  75%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
The First
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:51 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
--- description ---
Analysis of the old Megrim deck within the current Type II meta.
--- end description ---

Welcome my young apprentice. Today, or whenever you decide to read this article, I will teach you the black and blue ways to play a Megrim deck in Type 2. I much like combo decks and especially combo decks that allow you to cripple your opponent in 2 different ways at the same time, like a Megrim deck. If you play a Blackmail for instance, you get to discard an opponent’s card and deal damage to that opponent at the same time.

Of course, Megrim decks need the card itself. But what other cards should be in this deck? We are going to need at least some discard cards too. Those discard cards are here for more than 1 reason. They will both trigger Megrim once it hits the table and they have to disrupt aggro decks early on. Discard will make sure that decks like WW or Sligh lose their tempo or run out of steam, as Magic players call it. So, we’ll need some cheap discard like Blackmail – this card is not as good as Distress but it is 1cc cheaper – and Ravenous Rats – discard with a body is better than just discard obviously. Distress is an excellent choice for a mono-black Megrim deck (has a double BB mana cost which isn’t that good in multi-colored decks).

Coercion is a good replacement for Distress in multi-colored decks. It basically does the same, costs 1cc more but doesn’t have the double mana cost. Mind Rot and Waking Nightmare are 3cc sorceries that will allow you to discard 2 cards instead of just 1. However, you don’t get to choose which cards are discarded but that often doesn’t matter anymore as you will be happy if your opponent still has 2 cards to discard when you cast it. A discard card I find really usefull in a UB Megrim deck is Consult The Necrosages. 3cc cost to discard 2 cards is nothing to sneeze at. Or it allows you to draw some cards to get closer to one of your megrims if need be AND it can make an opponent draw cards for you to discard. Most opponents will try to empty their hand themselves so there is nothing left for you to discard. Play a Consult The Necrosages on them, and you will be set to go.

So now we covered early disruption with our cheap discard and we have our alternative win condition. What else do we need? Of course, your opponent will be able to play at least something early game. So, during mid game, we will try to bounce that card back to his hand and discard it. Consuming Vortex is a 2cc card that enables you to return a creature to owner’s hand. Granted, Boomerang is better because it bounces any permanent to hand instead but it has a double UU mana cost which isn’t very good for this deck IMO. Clutch of the Undercity is also a good card. Rather late game though as it costs 4cc and has a double UU mana cost. But is also bounces any permanent to hand and makes the opponent lose 3 life. Discard that card you bounced for a total of 5 life loss or 1/4 of the total.

As expected, we saved the best for last; this deck will feature both the Hypnotic Specter and the Dimir Cutpurse. The “Hyppie” is slightly better because it has evasion (flying) and the discard is at random. The Cutpurse on the other hand doesn’t have evasion & the discard isn’t at random but if he hits only once, you get a 2 card advantage over your opponent and it doesn’t really matter which card will be discarded for a Megrim deck. I also added 4 Cruel Edicts. This card just puts a smile on your face whenever you draw it. Test it, you’ll see.

Late game finisher: Compulsive research can come in handy to draw some cards early on. You won’t need that many land. Late game, it will "give" 3 cards to your opponent. Either he discards a land card and you discard the other two, or he discards 2 cards and you discard the third. Either way, this baby means 2-4 direct points of damage and 6 total (even more with more than 1 megrim out of course..).

The decklist

only 12 creatures They aren’t the "biggest" creatures but they are more than useful. They rock Cool

4x Ravenous Rats
4x Hypnotic “Hyppie” Specter
4x Dimir “Pursey” Cutpurse

Other spells - 26

4x Blackmail
4x Consuming Vortex
4x Cruel Edict
4x Megrim
3x Compulsive Research
4x Consult the Necrosages
3x Clutch of the Undercity

Land cards - 22

4x Watery Grave
4x Underground River
6x Island
8x Swamp

I don’t like the Dimir Aquaducts in here as this is a deck that will use all the mana it can get on turn 1, 2 and 3. The Aquaducts don’t really matter anymore late game so...

Sideboard

Shadow of Doubt doesn’t really fit but this card is just so versatile that it becomes unevitable to not put it in most UB sideboards. It delays Gift decks, prevents Cranial Extraction on your Megrims, no farseeking those RAV lands… It disrupts other decks and I like that.

Cranial Extraction is good in almost every B deck. Put it in your sideboard, you might need it.

Hideous Laughter is always good early game against aggro decks.

Dimir Doppelganger is neat against decks that feature Grave-Shell scarabs or Kokusho or anything big and scary.

Circu, Dimir Lobotomist is a great UB control card that can prevent the opponent from playing cards in his hand so you can discard them. I wouldn’t put him main deck, but I like to have 2-3 in my sideboard.

Hope you liked it.
Last edited by The First on Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
inresponse
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:04 pm
I would reccomend some alternative route to victory, sense megrim doesn't usually get too much damage in, especially of your opponent's hand is empty.

The problem with megrim is that by the time it hits the board, most of yoru opponents stuff will be in play, leaving only a few cards in their hand. The only time Megrim has been playable int he past was memory jar forced them to draw seven and then discard them all. I just don't think playing megrim is a real route to victory. Compulsive research helps, but it's usually only 2 damage, plus loading up their hand, possibly with removal for the hyppies/cutpurses.

If you want to have the staying power necessary to stand up to most other decks, I would reccomend at least moroii.

Also, I think it would be good if at the beginning of your articles you announced the play level of the deck/idea you are presenting. This deck seems to float between tournament and casual on playability, but clearly wants to be in the tournament zone because of the cost of hyppies, cutpurses, and watery graves.

And it's Shadow of Doubt for the board.
The First
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:15 pm
inresponse wrote:
I would reccomend some alternative route to victory, sense megrim doesn't usually get too much damage in, especially of your opponent's hand is empty.

I have 7 cards that forces the opponent to draw cards and I have 7 bounce-spells. And 3 of those can even bounce land AND deal damage on their own. That's 14 cards total, or 1/4, that will give me something to discard. That should be enough to fuel my Megrims.

A Hyppie or Cutpurse that comes through = 2 + (2 * x) where x is the number of Megrims in play. Should be enough.

If the opponent doesn't have any cards in hand, the better. This is bad for both aggro and control decks.

Quote:

The problem with megrim is that by the time it hits the board, most of yoru opponents stuff will be in play, leaving only a few cards in their hand. The only time Megrim has been playable int he past was memory jar forced them to draw seven and then discard them all. I just don't think playing megrim is a real route to victory. Compulsive research helps, but it's usually only 2 damage, plus loading up their hand, possibly with removal for the hyppies/cutpurses.

So...?

Quote:

If you want to have the staying power necessary to stand up to most other decks, I would reccomend at least moroii.

Moroii is good but not in here. Has no regeneration and deals 1 damage to me each upkeep. I would prefer Akuta for the recursion (should be easy to play him from the graveyard since I play discard) or Kokusho.

Quote:

Also, I think it would be good if at the beginning of your articles you announced the play level of the deck/idea you are presenting. This deck seems to float between tournament and casual on playability, but clearly wants to be in the tournament zone because of the cost of hyppies, cutpurses, and watery graves.

Why? Either you stick to the Gifts, Zoo, WW and other powerhouses or you build a rogue deck like this one. Or you play the deck casual... You have to make that up for yourself. Ok, this isn't tier 1 but that doesn't mean you can't take it to a tourney.

I play casual mostly but I'm never affraid to bring new decks to tourneys. I have 4 Hyppies and 4 cutpurses. Also have the Graves. Why wouldn't I put them in here? Needed them for my UB mill deck anyway. Just because it is casual doesn't mean I can't use them.

Quote:

And it's Shadow of Doubt for the board.

My bad... corrected. (this isn't the first time though. Where did I get that misprint anyway Mad )
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:32 pm
The First wrote:
Quote:

Moroii is good but not in here. Has no regeneration and deals 1 damage to me each upkeep. I would prefer Akuta for the recursion (should be easy to play him from the graveyard since I play discard) or Kokusho.

Moroii is much better then Akuta for several reasons:
1. Moroii has evasion, akuta does not
2. Moroii is a 4/4 flier for 4 mana, Akuta is a 3/2 Haste for 4.
3. In retrospect, it will take Akuta 7 turns from when it comes into play to deal 20. Moroii will only take 6 Turns. And the boosts from Megrim only adds to Moroii's awesomness.
4. Akuta's recursion may seem cool but it just isn't good enough. If it dies from combat damage, you can sac all of the swamps you want, but it will always remain in the graveyard the majority of the time due to blocking.
5. A little thing called Carven Caryatid.
6. 1 Damage a turn is not relevant when compared to the 4+ damage you will be dealing to them.

But all in Kokusho is the best bet.
The First
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:13 pm
I'll try both in my deck. Thing is that Akuta keeps coming back. I have enough means to clear the board if necessary and I can discard cards from hand. Moroii is a 4/4 flyer for 4 mana but if he is killed, he remains in the graveyard the rest of the game.

IMO Flying isn't such good evasion anymore. RWW has heaps of cheap flyers so I doubt that coming through will be that easy if I don't clear the table. On the other hand, they'll have to choose to block my Hyppies or Moroii and they deal 4 damage each probably...

2 Kokushos will be tested as well soon.

EDIT: Akuta costs 4, indeed, but you want to play him for free - or for 1 swamp - afterwards. I really like Akuta.
inresponse
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:23 pm
Quote:
A Hyppie or Cutpurse that comes through = 2 + (2 * x) where x is the number of Megrims in play. Should be enough.

this isn't true. You might hit with your guys, but you will rarely hit for a card with multiple megrims out because you play so much discard.

Also, because you play so few creatures, and because they are all easily within range of every played removal spell short of nekrataal, they will almost never even get the chance to swing.

Quote:
I have 7 cards that forces the opponent to draw cards and I have 7 bounce-spells

If you waste all your card draw on your opponent, you will never be able to remove their threats. Also, it will be impossibel to keep your opponent on the defensive if you are bouncing things on your turn so you can force them to discard.

There are other basic reasons why I don't think this deck is good, such as:

clogged 3 slot
only 4 removal spells in agro control
slow build up

It sjust doesn't have what it takes to be competitive, which is I believe what youa re saying. If you are goingto make this claim, prove it. Show match up analysis you have experienced through playtesting. If you don't have this support, there is no way to disprove criticisms.
The First
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:41 pm

this isn't true. You might hit with your guys, but you will rarely hit for a card with multiple megrims out because you play so much discard.

The whole idea of the deck is discard. I have cards that enable me to discard some cards and to put (a) card(s) in the opponents hand. Same goes for: Gifts isn't good because it is possible that you never draw a gifts. We know that isn't true even though even Gifts can be inconsistent sometimes.

Also, because you play so few creatures, and because they are all easily within range of every played removal spell short of nekrataal, they will almost never even get the chance to swing.

Cutpurse: no - dark banishing, nekrataal, rend flesh. Most other removal works

Hyppie: same except for the rend flesh = rend spirit

I should be able to discard at least some removal cards. I have 8 of those creatures or 1 / 7,5. I should be able to get them pretty fast.

I have 7 cards that forces the opponent to draw cards and I have 7 bounce-spells

If you waste all your card draw on your opponent, you will never be able to remove their threats. Also, it will be impossibel to keep your opponent on the defensive if you are bouncing things on your turn so you can force them to discard.

The point isn't that I will use my draw cards on my opponent but that I CAN if necessary. Versatility is good. Besides, the Cutpurse will enable me to draw some cards if I can control the game.

There are other basic reasons why I don't think this deck is good, such as:

clogged 3 slot
only 4 removal spells in agro control
slow build up

Well, this isn't a tier 1 deck as mentioned before. A good player can get some wins with it. But mostly it should be played casual - again, I mentioned this before.

The point of discard is that you don't need that many removal. Bounce works the same: bounce and discard opponent's permanents during your turn.

I know what I'm talking about. I played Megrim for quite some time now and with average succes.

It sjust doesn't have what it takes to be competitive, which is I believe what youa re saying. If you are goingto make this claim, prove it. Show match up analysis you have experienced through playtesting. If you don't have this support, there is no way to disprove criticisms.

When did I make this claîm. I even said that it isn't tier one and that you can take it to a tourney if you like but that you shouldn't expect winning the tourney with it. Nevertheless, you can have some fun with it.
inresponse
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:15 pm
if you are playing with soooo many expensive cards, why would you play this deck in casual?

Quote:
Same goes for: Gifts isn't good because it is possible that you never draw a gifts. We know that isn't true even though even Gifts can be inconsistent sometimes.

what does htis have to do with anything? And in what way is it the same?

the removal spells currently played in standard do not include either dark banishing or rend spirit. I did forget curpurse was a spirit, but that's one removal spell.

please provide test results or somethign to show this deck is good. Otherwise, there's no reasoon anyone should believe it
The First
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:29 pm
inresponse wrote:
if you are playing with soooo many expensive cards, why would you play this deck in casual?

I'm playing with so many expensive cards because I can. I think I explained this. I have playsets from all three (Cutpurse, Hyppie and Grave). They fit very well in this deck so why not add them?

I'm playing this in casual because it isn't tier 1 and won't win me tourneys. I might play it in a tourney if my other decks aren't any better though.

Whether a deck should be played in a casual or a competitive environment, shouldn't depend on how many expensive rares the deck contains, right? Or I'm I missing something?

I'll give some feedback on my deck once I playtested the deck. Any ideas what decks to use for testing? I already have a dimir mill, Gifts, RDW, WW and SuiBlack.
inresponse
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:21 am
Usually casual players don't have the expensive cards that are in this deck, which makes it hard for them to use a deck liek this.

If you want a good test gauntlet, check out Mike Flores article on magicthegathering.com (from thursday). He posts the lists of the most successful decks in standard at the state tournaments. If you are going to test this for a tournament setting, use those. Suiblack didn;t make any top eights, and mill only made a total of one, so I'd recommend cutting htose from your list of archetypes. Gifts, Zoo forger, R/w weenie, Critical Mass, and Flores blue are all strong archetypes that are worth testing against.

If this is for a casual environment only, then I don't think you need to test. Instead, maybe you would consider posting a budget version of the deck?

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest