LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

75%
  [ 3 ]  75%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
Shadows
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:29 pm
--- description ---
This is my first article, and looks at how to build a competitive gondor tokens deck.
--- end description ---

Hey all, and thanks for reading this. The aim of this article is to put together an effective noble leaders token deck.

The noble leaders fellowship used to be one of the most powerful fellowships out there. It could be easily played, as a large deck or a small one, meaning it could fit with many different shadows. Also as most of it’s strategy revolved around possesions and conditions, it cycled well, making it an all round great fellowship.

The main principle of the deck was to use big gondor companions, and the noble leaders card to boost them, and kill off minions, then run to site nine.

However, it never really got any boosts to it’s strategy and so was eventually surpassed by other fellowships (and shadows).

So now my friends it’s time to attempt to resurrect it. With the release of bloodlines several new token based gondor cards were released, and this was then added to with a couple of great hunters cards aswell.

The main strategy of this new version revolves around the influx of new gondor token cards such as Heirs of Gondor, and Storied Homestead. These new cards have some awesome abilities. Heirs of Gondor is an amazing strength increaser and Storied Homestead gives you great versatility, so you can adapt to whatever minions your opponent throws at you. Even better all these cards make Aragorn, Isildur’s Heir as strong as Elendil. So with two possible 14 strength companions plus the near limitless supply of tokens guarded city gives us we should have no problem winning skirmishes.

While all these cards are great, it will take a while to set up. You should always try and get to site three as quickly as possible. Once there always use Denethor to pull Aragorn if you don’t have him already, as he is the key companion of your deck, and will stop your hand getting clogged. The second card you choose to pull with Denethor should be changed depending on the situation/ shadow you are facing, though a good bet is houses of healing, as this allows you to grab another 2 cards with denethor, and still have a token on houses for Aragorn’s boost (though if it looks like your opponent is playing a swarm, then don’t use Denethor more than once, for obvious reasons).

Once Aragorn, and a couple of token cards are out, it’s a case of using your strength to win skirmishes and running. Don’t be afraid of letting Boromir fight (unless fighting corruption) a couple of skirmishes, as if he wins, his ability is great for double (or triple moving). If you can’t beat all the minions, then you should still be able usually get a double, as you have plenty of vitality and wound prevention/healing.

This deck is fairly easy to play once you have the core cards out (which Denethor should ensure) , it’s just a case of practicing with it, and learning when to grab certain cards with Denethor, when to double with minions still out etc. It’s a simple deck for a beginner, without too many expensive rares (noble leaders can be substituted for something like garrison of osgiliath), but in the hands of a master, it’s flexibility is great (just be aware of this deck, and Gondor’s, lack of condition/possesion removal - if you see lots of corsairs it’s probably worth sticking a Derufin in.)

Now we have the strategy, lets take a look at the key cards that will form the focus of our deck:

Aragorn, Isildur’s Heir - This bloodlines Aragorn is the main companion of our deck. With his ability to gain strength from tokens he can be a beast in the deck, and his defender+1 ability is also very nice to have around.

Heirs of Gondor - This card adds tokens quickly,and has a very nice boosting ability.

Guarded City - +5 or 6 tokens reinforced? yes please. This card is our main source of keeping our token levels high.

Storied Homestead - This card is wonderful for stopping nasty minions like the castamir of umbar, and the easterling captain right in their tracks, and also gives plenty of tokens easily.

Now we have our key cards, let’s look at some of the other important cards for the deck:

Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith - This guys ability means that we only need to put one Aragorn in, as if we don’t get him in our opening hand, we can grab him at site three, unless something goes drastically wrong, and Denethor dies in the first three sites lol.

Noble Leaders - The original decks namesake, there is nothing not to love about this condition. It can easily be played with four tokens on it, and can boost our companions strength, and more importantly their damage for finishing minions off for that all important double.

Elendil, The Tall - While there is another Elendil, I personally prefer this one, as there is no exertion cost to play him, and his ability to add to the move limit when Narsil is played on him, is a huge asset for leaping ahead.

Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow - Swarm protection.

Sapling of the White Tree - Prevents wounds and boosts Elendil, so an all round no brainer.

Brego, Loyal Steed - Reinforces tokens and wounds minions

Kingsfoil - Heals in emergencies and also means if they are all put on one companion,then a stupid number of tokens can be reinforced with guarded city.

Ok, now we’ve got the core of our deck, let’s put together a decklist. We are going to pair this fellowship with a good old stopping shadow, like Beasterlings, so we’ll keep the decksize quite small.

FP:33

Starting:
1x Boromir, Bearer of Council
1x The One Ring, Answer to all Riddles
1x Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith
1x Faramir, Captain of Gondor
Companions:
1x Aragorn, Isildur’s Heir
1x Elendil, The Tall
Possesions:
4x Kingsfoil
2x Ithilien Blade
2x Sapling of the White Tree
1x Narsil, Blade of the Faithful
1x Scroll of Isildur
1x Ranger’s Sword
1x Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
1x Blade of Gondor
1x Ranger’s Cloak
1x Brego, Loyal Steed
Events:
4x Guarded City
Conditions:
3x Heirs of Gondor
2x Noble Leaders
2x Storied Homestead
1x Houses of Healing
1x The Saga of Elendil
1x Boromir, My Brother

Possible match ups:

Beasterlings: Could provide a problem in the first few sites. the basic trick is to keep using storied homestead on their easterling captains and then reinforcing it again, tough, but easily winnable. Make sure to use Denethor to grab Storied homestead if it’s not in your opening hand.

Sauron Hate: Possibly one of the toughest match-up for this deck. You will have to rely on your Sapling’s to prevent the hate wounds, and use your kingsfoil’s and houses of healing to heal. You should have enough to scrape through, it’s the lack of condition removal that really hurts

Ninja Gollum: Being expanded, this little scum will be quite common. Again you will have to rely on your saplings to prevent the key wounds, but the fact that all your companions have more than three vitality should stand you in good stead, as Gollum can’t kill you instantly.

Nazgul Corruption: Should be o.k, if you use Denethor to get ranger’s cloak and scroll of isildur early. from then on it’s just a case of tryin to double as quick as possible to limit the number of turns they have to hit you, and using Aragorn’s bow to kill of Enquea (let Faramir, possibly Denethor die if you need more threat wounds space.) Probably the toughest match-ups.

there are probably more match-ups, but those are the ones in my meta, and hence the ones I can play test against.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at my first article, and I hope this inspires you to take another look at your noble leaders (if not then trade them to me, I only have one at the moment.)
Last edited by Shadows on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:37 am; edited 9 times in total
ingold55
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:28 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
good artice. kind of short but nice. um one quick suggestion in making your deck more readable is space out your deck list. there were a few words in the article that were placed together likethis. so you might want to go though and edit a bit.

looks good!
ingold
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:55 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Not a bad article, a little lacking in substance.

One note on your decklist: I’d recommend taking out Faramir, Captain of Gondor, and putting in Faramir, Prince of Ithilien. That way, you can still start him, and it becomes a Standard deck. And in Standard, Beasterlings and Hate aren’t playable, since they rotated out.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Gate Troll
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:59 pm
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
It reminds of a certain deck I have seen before; O and did you by any chance get your Boromir off a guy named Travis... Idea
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory."-George S. Patton.
Shadows
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:49 pm
Nope, I got my Boromir in a pack ages ago lol. I would make it standard viable, but all the people at my local store/my friends play expanded (and refuse to play anything else) so denying myself the expanded format cards is pointless.

Plus Captain of Gondor’s ability is really nice for the 1-3 double.

In terms of increasing the substance of the article, do you have any suggestions as to what other kinds of things I could put in (more match-ups perhaps?)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:40 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
good article one spelling error that I can see though

Elendil, The Tall - Whislt

here it is it should be While.

otherwise a good article.

maybe have a little more strategy.

still a solid article.
right now you are getting a 4 but I will see what you add.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:29 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Just because you don’t personally play standard doesn’t mean that you have to write Expanded articles only. And since it’s just that one card...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:45 am
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
True but I don’t really think it matters that much.
Pretty good article. Maybe you could have included more match-ups but you at least explained why you used the ones you did.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Shadows
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 pm
Edited, I put in a specific strategy section for the deck, and corrected the spelling error.

Thoughts please, and thank you for the comments already given.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:45 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
good job but there is another spelling error here

Whilst all these cards are great

but since I am sure you will fix and you added a lot of "meat" you get a 5!

great job
Last edited by sickofpalantirs on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:12 am; edited 1 time in totalArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest