LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:07 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Hey, everyone, I’ve decided to make a semi-regular article-style thingy. Basically, I’m going to be taking a Weekly walk through Hunters, analyzing the cards from one culture each week. So...have fun reading along! Feel free to post comments. We start today’s walk with...

The One Ring, the Ring of Doom
This baby is the new The One Ring, The Answer to All Riddles. Since AtAR rotated out, I predict that this will become the new Ring of choice for many players. Why? Because of its Vitality bonus, you can let your ringbearer absorb archery and exertions, keeping your companions healthy and ready to fight! This becomes crucial when your Aragorn just got Lingering Shadow slapped on him! The only downside to this ring: it can make the burdens pile on fairly fast.

The One Ring, the Ruling Ring
This is the classic ring we all know and love. +1 Strength, "add a burden to prevent a skirmish wound" ability. This ring has been around ever since FOTR...nothing really special about it, but if you can’t get The Ring of Doom, this is your next best bet.

Chamber of Records
This card, right here, is an example of classic Dwarven cycling. As it is, however, it can’t hope to be anything like No Pauses, No Spills. The true power of this card, however, comes in the fact that it has tokens on it. These tokens are used to the benefit of the Free Peoples player, as will be seen with some other cards...

The Fortunes of Balin’s Folk
This is one card designed specifically to work with Chamber of Records and other Dwarven conditions. Exert a dwarf, and wipe up all of those minions! If you’ve managed to reinforce a token or two, that’s one baddie finished off! So, a solid combination with Chamber of Records.

Gimli, Eager Hunter
Nothing really special about this guy, because he’s just designed to be big and strong. Base 9 Strength with the hunter bonus, coupled with strength bonuses from his possessions. In addition, he’s able to trigger Whatever End’s text, helping Aragorn or Legolas finish off minions.

Gloin, Son of Groin
Oh, this guy’s fun to use with some of our new Hunters cards! First of all, check out that first bit of gametext: insane cycling! Save the cards you don’t need, and get more into your hand! This works quite well if you’re playing Nazguls and have Moving this Way out, or if you want to make use of Orkish Camp. This isn’t the big guy’s only strength, however. Take a look at that skirmish ability. And now think of playing Subterranean Homestead and Chamber of Records...that’s easily 6 tokens right there! Which adds up to...Strength +12! And with The Fortunes of Balin’s Folk, you can continue to use those conditions again and again!

Heavy Axe
This weapon is the most expensive axe out there to date, but it’s strong. And using it in a Token Engine deck really minimizes the cost. If you’ve got three conditions out there (for example, Subterrranean Homestead and 2x Chamber of Records), that’s a pretty cheap weapon-and it’s a Strength +3 boost! The token-removal boost might not be as strong as Gloin’s...but everyone can benefit from strength boosts.

Sturdy Stock
The best part about this event is the fact that Hunter Uruks have become something of a nasty shadow...and the Dwarves only have one Hunter, Gimli. So...plop this event down on the table, and you’ve suddenly got a 4 Strength boost...and damage +4. Honed, anyone? So, not a spectacular event, but a good Uruk deterrent.

Well-Crafted Armor
This is another card that fits well into the Token Engine. It’s something like Sudden Fury, except with a higher potential reward for Gloin. You can get at least 3 tokens from this card, and that’s assuming that the bearer doesn’t heal. Add it up, and there’s another +6 Strength for Gloin. Ouch!

Whatever End
Here’s one of the classic Three Hunters cards released in this set. It basically allows Gimli, Eager Hunter to help Aragorn or Legolas destroy a beaten minion. Another use of it, however, is to give one of your dwarves that extra edge they need to beat a higher-strength minion.

And that’s all the time we have for now! Come back next week to take a look at...the Elves!
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Gate Troll
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:23 pm
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
That a cool idea CG. I will give 50 GP to someone who will do FOTR like this.
Twisted Evil
Gagnut
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:32 pm
I hope you don’t mind if I copy you’re idea?
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:05 pm
Not at all. Hmm...maybe I should jump-start and do FOTR...50 GP is pretty nifty... Wink
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:11 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
FOTR? The first set? Card by card? Are you serious? If you are, I can write an essay on it for ya! All the cards, what you can do with them, good combos it has, etc.
I don't like YOU.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:26 pm
How long would it take to give out 50 GP, anyway?
SnowBalrog
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:50 pm
Joined: 26 Sep 2005 Posts: 63 Location: St. Louis, Missouri
If my calculations are correct... 12 and a half hours Laughing (15 minutes x number of GP divided by 60 to get the hours instead of minutes) Although I haven’t slept in almost 24 hours, so something could be off... Anyway, cool article-thingy, CG!
Marcus: Our Snow Balrog would be a lot more impressive if it didn't keep melting.
Jason: Maybe if we used a little less lighter fluid...?
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:38 pm
Twelve and a half hours is correct. Good idea, CG. Smile
I had to put something here.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:17 pm
Cool!

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Gimli, Eager Hunter
...In addition, he’s able to trigger Whatever End’s text, helping Aragorn or Legolas finish off minions.

Gimli himself actually doesn’t have to be a Hunter to trigger Whatever End.

Still, you get a GP from me! Very Happy
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Gagnut
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:04 pm
I’ve been swamped lately. So I won’t do anything like that for awile. GP for you.
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion