LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Stampeding Chief?

5 (best)  
40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

20%
  [ 2 ]  20%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 10
Cobra
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:04 pm

We’ve been waiting for the Chief since Stampeding Shepherd was spoiled, and he’s definitely a beast! With 17 strength, fierce and damage +1, he’ll be doing some damage where it really matters: multiple wounds on strong companions, or overwhelms on weaker companions. The only question is, is Stampeding Chief worth his cost? Spotting another Men minion and paying 11 twilight isn’t so easy a lot of the time.

But notice that those extra costs only apply when the Chief is played from hand! Play him from your discard pile, or from a support-area possession with Pandemonium, and he costs only 8 with no spotting requirement -- definitely playable. Or use the text of Stampeding Shepherd to play the Chief from your draw deck, and you’ll effectively pay 7 + an extra card -- another very playable option, although a little more risky since any Chiefs drawn into your hand will lose a lot of their value.

Personally I’d love to run Stampeding Chief in any deck that offers good odds of playing him from somewhere other than my hand. A lot of Men Evil Men decks will be able to pull this off without much trouble, so I expect the Chief will see a lot of play after Rise of Saruman hits.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:43 pm
Yeah, I thought it was odd that he only is penalized if played from hand. I guess its a nudge from decipher to use their new strategy. And with Stampeding Shepherd, pretty cool.

Congrats D on not messing up the abilities and having a decent lore. Maybe not the best lore, but better than "Argh!" Someone else must be designing the Men cards.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:41 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Yeah, THIS is a card that merits a slap on the back for the designer (rather than a slap a little higher up Rolling Eyes). Much better than some of the disappointments we’ve seen lately...and no spelling or grammatical errors!

Definately playable if you do things right (or just get lucky drawing order), and a force to be reckoned with when he’s in play. Too bad Dunland never had a guy like this.

But woe on the poor guy that gets stuck with this in his hand early and no other Men minions around yet. Yuck.

I give him a 4, and only because of that possibility. Anyone who votes a 5 has good reason to do so. Smile Bravo, Decipher.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:12 pm
Imagine putting Saruman, Servant of Sauron on Stampeding Chief! Applause
I had to put something here.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:34 pm
Yeah!
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
this guy simply kills. you can put possessions on him, and just totally kill. then play the next copy with the shepherd.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:51 pm
Saruman, Coldly Still...
Pywils
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:45 pm
i’m going 5 just because of the Stampeding Shepherd and the other cards evil men have.
but still i can see reason for less then that
JayPL
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:59 am
I believe the best option for playing him is to use those suicide Easterlings from Hunters (Easterling Scout, bold Easterling, Courageous Easterling). Otherwise it is just waste of slots in your deck (for multiple Stampeding Shepherd ’s, Pandemonium ’s, Ceremonial Armor ’s etc.). The other way I can think of is playing him as the Last Days response - he would be -2+3, effectively 9 twilight (and if ’another Men minion’ is Saruman, CS, then...Mr. Green ) If he is managed to be played a right way, his stats are really killing Twisted Evil however he would lose the fierce bonus if played in the skirmish phase

a 4 from me
LeoKula
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:14 am
am I the only one who’s thinking oath sworn right now? Smile maybe it will finaly be playable if there’s a way to play it on the maneuver phase

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion