LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is The Witch-king, Conqueror of Arthedain?

5 (best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

41%
  [ 5 ]  41%

33%
  [ 4 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (worst)  
25%
  [ 3 ]  25%

Total Votes : 12
Cobra
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Limiting his ability to the end of fierce skirmishes takes most of the fire out of this new Witch-king, IMO. He’s certainly not a bad card, but there are better forms of crowd control out there, and better Witch-kings to be played.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
menace64
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:09 pm
It’s so sad, because this was one of the 6 winning "create a card" cards, and Decipher changed it at the last minute to something totally crappy.

It used to be cool.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
Cobra
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:07 pm
What did it do before the change?
menace64
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:17 pm
This is the online version:

8 •The Witch-king, Conquerer of Arthedain
Minion • Nazgul
Strength-14
Vitality-4
Roaming-3
Fierce.
When you play The Witch-king, you may spot an exhausted companion to add 2 threats.
Each time The Witch-king wins a skirmish, you may remove a threat to exert a companion for each companion over 4.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:24 pm
I was so excited about the old version coming out, but now I see it’s been reduced to something much worse.

With so many other versions of the Witch-king available, I just can’t see this version being used very often. The only possible good thing I can think of is that he can exhaust the Ring-bearer, helping out Morcs - but even then, I’d rather use CotNR or BL instead of CoA in this instance.

By the way, why isn’t there any lore?
Last edited by AnxiousChieftain on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in totalMODS RULE. - lem0nhead
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:55 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I would say though that first one is a little broken. OK exhausting a companion isn’t all that hard especially with blade tip, then you add 2 threats, Combo with a morgul destroyer, you have 4 threats to exert companions with. So with the second ability, you could remove X or less threats when there are x companions over 4, to exert X or less companions?

But there is one thing about this new one, it wouldn’t be that hard to win a fierce skirmish with 14 strength and all the witch king weapons that are available for use, Then if they have 7 companion 3 exertions, if you pack multiple copies it could add up, but there are much better witch kings out there, so overall a disappointment.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:25 pm
Looks like D has lowered the rule of 5 to 4, or started to. Oh, and with the ring of savagery, the Witch-King’s text might be enough to force the RB to add a burden, and everyone knows what that does in a nazgul deck...
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Cobra
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 pm
The very LOTR TCG first set, Fellowship of the Ring, had a too-powerful card callNOLINKed Savagery to Match Their Numbers that made most players limit themselves to four companions, not five, against Uruk decks!

So this card is nothing new... and also, since the version that finally saw print isn’t that good, nothing drastic. There are a few cards that blur the lines a little bit, but the most significant boundary has always been between five and six companions, and probably always will be.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:14 pm
Savagery to match their numbers is restricted, though, so a resurgence of 5 companion fellowships is back (and killing, especially the Ithilien Blade Homage )
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
corvus
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:10 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
Play the toil guy. No further instructions...
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion