LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Saruman, Servant of Sauron?

5 (best)  
66%
  [ 10 ]  66%

20%
  [ 3 ]  20%

6%
  [ 1 ]  6%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (worst)  
6%
  [ 1 ]  6%

Total Votes : 15
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Yay!!! Minion follower!

My first thought was to combo him with Orkish Assassin, but then I realized that the Assassin only works if the follower is on a companion. Oh well - I suppose he’d be too good that way.

But after that, I realized that this Saruman can fit into virtually any deck. For the 1 aid cost, you get a +2 strength boost and the ability to exert any companion when you win a skirmish. Any companion!!! Morcs is where this guy would shine, and he wouldn’t be bad in a Twilight Nazgul deck.

This Saruman opens up a world of possibilities. I give him a 5!

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Cobra
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:14 pm
Beat me to it by three minutes, AC. Laughing Moving my review to this thread...

Here we have LOTR TCG’s first Shadow follower, and I’d say it looks like a pretty solid card -- strength +2 and a likely companion exertion for 1 twilight. The maneuver-phase timing isn’t so great for Shadow followers as it removes the possibility of surprise. On the other hand, a recurring pump is nothing to sneeze at.

I expect Saruman, Servant of Sauron will find his way into a lot of Shadow decks as a one- or two-card splash. Nazgul decks, unlikely as it may seem, benefit a lot from this new card since they’ve got fierce to take full advantage of him, and no other version of Saruman to compete with him.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:06 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I was wondering if minion followers would come into play. My dislike of followers just went down a peg. Laughing

I echo what the others have said. He looks easily splashable since he doesn’t require any spotting or anything to enter play. Pretty easy way to get a quick +2 pump, though like Cobra said, it kinda lacks the element of surprise that FP followers have a little more of.

All in all, though, it’s a very nice card, one of the better ones in the set so far, and I dare say one of the better ones Decipher has made for a while. It’s tough to decide whether to use a powerful minion version of Saruman or "settle" for this flexible follower. I give it a 5.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:15 pm
Shadow followers have one major problem. If the minion dies, doesn’t the follower get discarded?

Also, a easily splashable follower, it gives no requirements for culture or anything. You can stick Saruman on the Balrog for Pete’s sake!

I think this card is definitely broken. Run it in any tank deck, and for one twilight, you have a reusable strength +2 pump for ANY culture AND you get to exert a companion!

Definitely overpowered. I give it a 5 ’cause though I hate the card, it is definitely playable.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
thonnas7
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:20 pm
He’s extremely overpowered, but I think since he’s a minion follower, it’s worth a 5.

Very Happy
corvus
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
This card makes me rather skeptical. On the one hand, it is overpowered and all for the reasons you guys mentioned. I mean, it IS a dream for any shadow with minimum costs and excellent effects.

On the other side, it makes me think whether certain follower rules have to be reconsidered. For instance, does this guy get discarded when a freeps player reconciles, along with the minion that bears him? That underpowers it way too much, since it’s a one use thing. As does the minion’s death anyway.

EDIT ---- Great twilight cost color!!!
Last edited by corvus on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in totalClick here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:42 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
hah I was right. there was a minion follower.(of course I followed logic of D members, but still no one else even mentioned them!)

it seems incredibly overpowered, no spotting costs, and for 2 twilight you can possible get +2, and an extra wound(or 2)
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
LeeRoy Jenkins
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:58 pm
And with Isengard Ruined and a defeated companion you can exert three! times. That’s enough to kill even Aragorn or Gandalf with that many exertions + a wound from winning the skirmish.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Wow, you ain’t kidding about Isengard Ruined. I wonder if D had that in mind, or if it was just unintentional. I love this concept of minion followers, especially that twilight cost!

This is going to also be extremely potent in the Vicious WaNOLINKrg + Scouting Orc combo, especially with Isengard Ruined!! OUCH!

And yet another card to pump Ferny, and this one can’t be discarded. And now you can send this one into a Wraith Wraith corruption deck...get a wound on Frodo easy!

I sense some uber-grinding going on with this guy and Uruk Slayer...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
bibfortuna25
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:31 am
Uruk Slayer? He doesn’t do anything special with Saruman. All Uruk Slayer does is remove (1) to become strength +1 with a limit of +3.
All cards do what they say.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion