LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:05 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Just for fun, here’s a few really unique, off-the-wall cards I’ve designed. Let me know what you think. Would they work? (And if not, how can they be fixed?) Do they even make sense?

1Share The Load Shire
Condition
Bearer is (and must be) the Ring-bearer. This condition cannot be discarded by Shadow cards.
Fellowship or Maneuver: If bearer is exhausted, you may transfer this condition, The One Ring, and all burdens to another companion.
Unless bearer has a ringed resistance number, each time the fellowship moves you must add two burdens or wound bearer twice.
“‘I could carry it for a while.’”

This is, by far, the craziest card I have ever designed. It might be extremely broken, but I’ve taken great care to ensure that, not only is it not broken, but that it actually works! How’d I do?

If I understand it correctly, this will never work with a companion that has Ring-bearer printed on their card, since they cannot be in your fellowship at all unless they bear The One Ring. (So there’s no way to take the Ring from them and have them still be in the fellowship without it.) But with all those ARBs, it’s got potential, yes?

2 I Will Take The Ring Elven
Event • Fellowship
To play, spot an Elf.
At any site 3, transfer The One Ring and all burdens to another eligible bearer.
At any other site, exert two Elves to heal the Ring-bearer and remove a burden.
“‘But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Húrin, and Túrin, and Beren himself were assembled together your seat should be among them.’”

With all those alternate Ring-bearers running around these days, I got the idea...why not a little more incentive to use them as something OTHER than the Ring-bearer? Some of them, especially Boromir, Bearer of Council, Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms, and Sam, Bearer of Great Need have some really nice text that works whether they have The One Ring or not. So I got the crazy idea of making a card that let you build a fellowship with multiple potential Ring-bearers, and then, when you get a little better feel for what the opponent(s) might be trying to do, picking the Ring-bearer best suited to the task to actually carry the Ring.

The only downside I see is that, much like Share The Load, this won’t work for guys that have Ring-bearer already printed, so Frodo won’t work at all; you can’t take the Ring away from him and have TWO companions that say they are the Ring-bearer. But that, I think, is minor in comparison to what this card can do with other Ring-bearers.

So am I just out of mind, or can these cards actually work?

EDIT: Tweaked after AC’s review.
EDIT 2: Tweaked Share The Load to be less wordy.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:51 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Just for fun, here’s a few really unique, off-the-wall cards I’ve designed. Let me know what you think. Would they work? (And if not, how can they be fixed?) Do they even make sense?

4Gandalf, Grey Messenger Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Strength: 7
Vitality: 4
Signet: Elrond
To play, spot an Elf.
At site 3 [LA] or 3 [FotR], Gandalf’s twilight cost is -1.
While you can spot 4 Free Peoples races, the number of cards you may hold in your hand is +1.
“‘Gandalf will go; for this shall be his great task, and maybe the end of his labours.’”
Weird very weird. What does LA mean?

1Share The Load Shire
Condition
Bearer must be the Ring-bearer.
Fellowship or Maneuver: If bearer is exhausted, you may transfer this condition, The One Ring, and all burdens to another companion to make them the Ring-bearer.
Unless bearer has a ringed resistance number, each time the fellowship moves you must add two burdens or wound bearer twice.
If this condition is discarded, the Ring-bearer is corrupted.
I love it it is so cool GP for you, let me shower you with GP!

Event • Maneuver
To play, spot an Elf.
At any site 3, transfer The One Ring and all burdens to another eligible bearer.
“‘But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Húrin, and Túrin, and Beren himself were assembled together your seat should be among them.’”
again interesting. its OK but not as cool as the other one IMO

So am I just out of mind, or can these cards actually work?

personally I love the second 2
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:59 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Wizard
To play, spot an Elf.
While you can spot 4 Free Peoples races, the number of cards you may hold in your hand is +1.
“‘Gandalf will go; for this shall be his great task, and maybe the end of his labours.’”

Well, since Gandalf’s text is only active during your turn, you’ll only have 9 cards when you’re playing Shadow cards. So, you had might as well make his text like Isildur, Heir of Elendil.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Share The Load Shire
Condition
Fellowship or Maneuver: If bearer is exhausted, you may transfer this condition, The One Ring, and all burdens to another companion to make them the Ring-bearer.

Weird... with that last line of text, I don’t see how this would ever be used. Condition removal is a fairly common thing, so the odds of you losing the game are pretty high.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot an Elf.

Cool, but it’d be cooler if it played during the Fellowship phase.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:05 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Wizard
To play, spot an Elf.

Weird very weird. What does LA mean?

Oh, sorry!

Most of my sets follow the old sitepaths...FotR, TTT, and RotK. "LA" is the sitepath found only in my set Lasting Alliances, which loosely follows the path from Fellowship of the Ring up until Rivendell (site 3), then goes northeast through Mirkwood and towards Erebor.

So, "at site 3 [LA] or 3 [FotR]" means that the Rivendell from either the Fellowship site path or the new Lasting Alliances site path will work.

Make better sense now?

Glad you like the other two so much. Thanks for the GP. Very Happy

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Wizard
To play, spot an Elf.

Well, since Gandalf’s text is only active during your turn, you’ll only have 9 cards when you’re playing Shadow cards. So, you had might as well make his text like Isildur, Heir of Elendil.

Blast. Good point. Oooookay.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Share The Load Shire
Condition

Weird... with that last line of text, I don’t see how this would ever be used. Condition removal is a fairly common thing, so the odds of you losing the game are pretty high.

So if I just drop that, does that it become unbalanced? Is there a way to fix it?

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Maneuver
To play, spot an Elf.

Cool, but it’d be cooler if it played during the Fellowship phase.

Okay, consider it done.

A GP for both of you. Thanks!
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:43 am
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Odd, but interesting idea.
Try to make the text less wordy.
Remember that it would have to fit on a card. Esp. for share the load.
Good job though.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:55 am
Yeah, I know they’re wordy. Maybe if I drop the lore....

I’m going to continue to play around with them. We’ll see what happens.

Thanks for the tips. Check your GP count. Smile
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I eagerly await the updated DCs.
Good work DainIronfoot
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:02 pm
bobtheorc wrote:
I eagerly await the updated DCs.

Same here. Share The Load is awesome! Razz
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:52 pm
Okay, I tweaked Share The Load using some never-before-seen wording. But hey, the card is already full of never-before-seen stuff, so I figured: "what the heck?" Razz

I know the wording is a little odd, but I think it is okay. It basically just combines the phrases "bearer must be" and "bearer is" into one "bearer is (and must be)". It allowed me to cut the much longer seperate phrases of "Bearer must be the Ring-bearer" and "...to make bearer the Ring-bearer".

How is it now, guys?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards