LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
38%
  [ 5 ]  38%

46%
  [ 6 ]  46%

15%
  [ 2 ]  15%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 13
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:11 pm
--- description ---
This article examines the ups and downs of the new Sarumans included in the Rise of Saruman set.
--- end description ---

Introduction

The long-awaited Rise of Saruman set will finally be available for pre-order in early February! Five cards that I predict will soon be sold out: the five new Sarumans. This article will delve into the strategy of each new Saruman, examining the ups and downs of the wily wizard. With the release of Saruman, Coldly Still, Saruman is now in four different Shadow cultures. With the variety of cultures he can be combined with, Saruman is a huge asset to your Shadow side.

Saruman, Curunir

The text of Curunir is like music to the ears; using the first sentence of his text, it is easy to exploit the deadliness of hunter Uruks. The minion who wouldn’t have been killed had he had one extra vitality is now a thing of the past; Curunir’s healing ability is a huge bonus to your hunter Uruks with low vitality and high strength. Curunir’s skirmish ability is pure poison for you’re a hunter fellowship. The hunter-based fellowships will struggle against a Curunir/Uruk hunters deck.

After reading the text of Curunir, one thing stands out. The sentence, “Saruman cannot be assigned to a skirmish” is strangely absent. This means that he can fight, too! Provided your Uruk-hai hunter wins his skirmish, your opponent uses hunter companions, and your opponent does not focus his archery or exertions on Saruman, this Saruman packs three big punches. He heals an Uruk-hai hunter, makes a companion lose hunter, and then is an 8 strength minion! If you are not facing a hunter fellowship, your Uruks’ hunter bonuses will then come into play. Either way, your opponent’s fellowship gets pounded. This is all for only 4 twilight and two exertions! Fellowships will definitely have to reevaluate their strategy when they come up against Curunir and a few powerful Uruks!

Sample deck

4 – Saruman, Curunir
4 – Following Uruk
3 – Ugluk, Ugly Fellow
3 – Seeking Uruk
2 – Sentry Uruk
2 – Mauhur, Relentless Hunter
2 – With All Possible Speed
4 – Violent Hurl
4 – Quelling Force
4 – Broken In Defeat
3 – Isengard Sword

Minions: 18
Conditions: 2
Events: 12
Possessions: 3
Total: 35

Overview

This deck is the simplest of the simple: hunter minions, Curunir, events for strength pumps, and a few possessions. Other strength pumps like Furor could be used, and I chose to stay away from 5+ twilight cost minions because a mini-bomb is possible with cheaper minions. Against Ents, the high-cost Uruks are an option, but I chose to stick to the 3 and 4 cost minions for a basic deck. Although most of the minions in this deck are unique, I believe that it is a good choice; using the assignment ability of Mauhur, Relentless Hunter, you can pick and choose which companions to focus your wounds on, especially if you have several strength pumps in hand.

Solo Smeagol and Dwarves would do well against this deck, simply because they are choke decks and Uruks require a good amount of twilight. Hobbit decks would also choke out the twilight pool. However, unless you are playing against a choke deck, this deck should cycle very well and would not clog your hand. Heavy archery decks would be able to take down the minions with lower vitality, and decks that focus on exertion would eliminate Saruman’s skirmish ability. Non-hunter fellowships would also eliminate Curunir’s skirmish ability, although non-hunters would obviously boost your Uruks’ strengths. All in all, Saruman, Curunir is a great addition to an Uruk-hai hunters deck!

Saruman, Instigator of Insurrection

The first sentence if his text is familiar; unlike Curunir, Instigator of Insurrection cannot be assigned to a skirmish. The next two sentences of his text, however, show his true power. Due to the fact that no culture is mentioned in his text, this Saruman is compatible with any Shadow hunters deck. If you are playing against a large fellowship, Instigator of Insurrection could even be combined with Isengard minions to activate the second sentence of his text. This Saruman can also be combined with Curunir’s deck or with a Men hunters deck, using Instigator of Insurrection and Hunting Herdsman as the main minions. The text of Ravaging Wild Man is also very helpful for discarding the ubiquitous Pallando, Far-travelling One. Enraged Herdsman also brings a huge bonus when you are playing against a large fellowship. Saruman’s response ability is also helpful in making him a virtual catch-all for wounds. Even though Instigator of Insurrection helps out hunters more than Curunir, Curunir is able to fight. If you are building an Uruk-hai hunters deck, I would stick with Curunir. However, Men hunters would be a big surprise to your opponent.

Sample deck

4 – Saruman, Instigator of Insurrection
4 – Ravaging Wild Man
4 – Hunting Herdsman
4 – Enraged Herdsman
4 – Overrun
4 – Fires Brightly Burning
3 – Howdah
3 – Pavise
3 – Long Battle Bow
3 – Great Axe

Minions: 16
Conditions: 3
Events: 8
Possessions: 9
Total: 36

Overview

Again, a very simple deck design: hunter minions, Instigator of Insurrection, a few strength pumps, archery help with Howdah, and strength, vitality, and archery bonuses with the possessions. Other strength pumps that could be used are Gathering Strength and Bring Down the Fall, depending on what kind of fellowship you are facing. If you prefer strength over archery, you could take out Howdah and put in an extra Great Axe. To add twilight, you could use Goaded To War; or, you could use Oath Sworn to help unclog your hand at the same time.
Choke decks would also perform well against this deck, as would archery. Compared to Curunir’s Uruk-hai deck, I would choose the Uruk deck as the more dependable and usable. Overall, Instigator of Insurrection is a great addition to the lineup of Sarumans. Although he is very culture compatible, I believe that Curunir is a better choice if you are building an Uruk-hai deck.

Saruman, Master of the White Hand

This Saruman is mediocre; he is a fair splash minion, and combined with Our Foes Are Weak and a few select minions, he can be the cornerstone of a competitive deck. Against large fellowships, this Saruman will thrive. However, against Solo decks, don’t be surprised if you get smoked.

Sample deck

4 - Saruman, Master of the White Hand
3 - Uruk Zealot
3 - Uruk Blitz
3 - Uruk Desecrator
3 - Uruk Invader
2 - Axeman of Harad
2 - Patroller of Haradrim
2 - Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin
3 - Shingle In A Storm
3 - Sense of Obligation
4 - Our Foes Are Weak
2 - Fortitude
3 - Wielding The Ring
2 - Isengard Sword
Minions: 23
Possessions: 2
Conditions: 15
Events: 0
Total: 40

Overview

Again, the very simplest of decks: tons of minions, a few swords, Wielding The Ring to lower resistance, Uruk Zealot and Shingle In A Storm to throw on the wounds, etc. Sense of Obligation can bring on showers of burdens, and Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin is there to finish off the companions with 0 resistance. Unless playing against a choke deck, this deck should cycle fairly smoothly. Overall, though, this Saruman is not very compatible; besides this basic deck, I will be surprised if this Saruman makes it into any other decks.

Saruman, Servant of Sauron

The very first Shadow follower! This Saruman needs no explanation; he is compatible with any Shadow culture! Servant of Sauron would be deadly when included in a Ninja Gollum deck, because he is yet another card whose specialty is heavy exertions. Put Servant of Sauron on Shelob, Her Ladyship, and suddenly Thorongil’s face will be blocked by a bunch of red tokens. Razz
Servant of Sauron could also be combined with Nazzies; imagine him on the Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders! Moria is also an option; Servant of Sauron on Host of Moria, Legion of the Underdeeps or The Balrog, The Terror of Khazad-dum. Putting him on hunter Uruks is also an option; Men archery would also be a good choice. Use Servant of Sauron to put a couple of exertions on your opponent’s companions, then finish them off with Elevated Fire, Howdah, and Long Battle Bow! Better yet, combo this Saruman with Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings! Applause

Saruman, Coldly Still

The first sentence of this Saruman’s text brings a smile to the face of Men deck users. Every Men minion bearing a possession is strength +2! Provided that your opponent’s fellowship has at least three possessions in play, Pavise gives your Men minions +2 vitality and +2 strength at no cost! The skirmish ability makes him even better; Saruman’s text allows you to grab three Men possessions from your discard pile! Imagine this Saruman coupled with Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings! The deck for this Saruman is simple: Pavise; Long Battle Bow; Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings; Countless Companies; just take your basic Men deck, toss out the Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor and throw in Coldly Still!

Sample deck

4 - Saruman, Coldly Still
4 - Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings
4 - Pavise
3 - Long Battle Bow
4 - Howdah
4 - Mumak Rider
4 - Countless Companies
2 - Elevated Fire
3 - Poleaxe
4 - Fletcher of Harad

Minions: 16
Conditions: 8
Events: 2
Possessions: 10
Total: 36

Overview

Again, very simple; Coldly Still, a dozen extra minions, ten possessions, and a few conditions and events to boost the archery total. Coldly Still will definitely find himself in some veteran players’ decks very soon.

Conclusion

The new Sarumans will definitely be making changes in the way players build their Shadow decks, as well as the way players construct their Free Peoples decks. Curunir with Uruks; Coldly Still with Giant among the Swertings; Servant of Sauron with Ninja Gollum; Instigator of Insurrection with hunter Men; the possibilities are endless! Grab a couple of new Sarumans and have some fun!
Last edited by Anonymous Prodigy on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:44 pm; edited 19 times in totalI had to put something here.
shieldelf
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:00 pm
I liked this, I think its explains the Sarumans’ very good. It really helped me understand what to use these for. I also liked the Deck possibilitys with each Saruman. I’m thinking: 5 cuz I like it and think its helpful.
Elfs pwn, need I say more??? Wink
My RPG
My DC contest
My trade list
NBarden
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:42 pm

Okay, I know I can’t give a six, but this article is awesome. 5.

Add a larger section on using Saruman, Coldly Still, ’cause he’s the most powerful Saruman in the set. Maybe even a decklist...with those new Men possessions...
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:50 pm
Thanks for reading, reviewing, and rating! Very Happy
I had to put something here.
macheteman
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:24 pm
definately add a decklist for codly still. i will wait to review and rate.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:38 am
Decklist added. Smile
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:36 am
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Good article AP.
However could you at least have a bit more article space devoted to • Saruman, Servant of Sauron? Maybe cover the ways that he is used, at least have some more info for him since you have so much for the other 3 Sarumans.
Good article overall though.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
NBarden
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:05 pm
Coldy still decklist needs to use the new Men possession...
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:14 pm
Are you talking about Primitive Brand?
NBarden
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:01 pm
I think so...the one that gets passed around...

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest